Copying configuration from one camera to another - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Copying configuration from one camera to another

• 6 Replies
Copying configuration from one camera to another
« on: 26 / February / 2013, 16:44:25 »
Advertisements
Hello everyone,

i have a Powershot SX 150 and i use chdk on it. I would like to know if it's possible and safe to copy the configuration files to an SX 40 (which i still don't have and i don't even know the firmware version).

Do i need to change anything except badpixel.bin?

Thank you in advance.

Offline reyalp

Re: Copying configuration from one camera to another
« Reply #1 on: 26 / February / 2013, 22:01:38 »
It should work in theory, some camera specific settings may get reset.

However, I don't think this is tested very much, so it's certainly possible something could mess up. It should be safe enough to try anyway, at the worst you just have to delete the cfg and start over.

Note that between major version (e.g. 1.0 to 1.1, 1.1 to  1.2) we renamed the cfg files because they weren't compatible. If you have a really old version on your sx150, it might not be compatible with the current builds for the sx40.

badpixel.bin needs to be recreated on each camera, if you are using DNG version 1.1. DNG 1.3 does not require badpixel.bin, but you will probably see the badpixels unfixed if you aren't using adobe software.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 27 / February / 2013, 04:34:28 »
You might find my CFG Editor app useful. It lets you examine, alter and print CFG files on your computer. I last updated it a few months ago, so it may not be up-to-date - I'll take a look today. It's written in pure java so should run on Windows, Linux or OSX without problems.

« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2013, 04:37:05 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 27 / February / 2013, 07:37:33 »
Thank you reyalp for the info, indeed i use dng 1.1 on the sx 150 and raw therapee.

I'm using chdk 1.1 on the sx 150, so i will try 1.1 on the sx 40.

Thank you Zeno too, seems a really nice tool! Before opening the thread i have tried to look at the cfg file (didn't know it was binary) and with your tool is much more readable :D

A diff between the default config (exported as txt) and the one i'm using (always in txt) will be indeed useful in order to remind what i changed.

« Reply #4 on: 27 / February / 2013, 09:51:11 »
One of the things on my "to do" list is to figure out a patch to let the person porting to a particular camera preset the default OSD setting for that camera.  That way they can work icon positions around the Canon icons and screen configuration and not force the user to edit their position each time.

By now, I've recreated the CCHDKx.CFG file hundreds of times from scratch while porting cameras and can fly through my needs in a couple of minutes.    Mostly its just enabling OSD icons, resetting their screen position, and setting up the User Menu over & over.

I guess I should really add this post to the CHDK UI 2.0 thread.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #5 on: 27 / February / 2013, 11:35:36 »
Icon positions, colors and menu items are scriptable (set/get_config_value()).

I use this: http://trac.assembla.com/chdkde/browser/scripts/conf_rw/conf_rw.lua

With this script you can save 10 different configurations.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #6 on: 27 / February / 2013, 12:17:55 »
Icon positions, colors and menu items are scriptable (set/get_config_value()).
I use this: http://trac.assembla.com/chdkde/browser/scripts/conf_rw/conf_rw.lua
I've used that too.  But its not the same as letting the person doing the port set nice initial values so that things look good to people using that port for the first time.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16