CHDK Wikia Discussion - what improvements are needed ? - page 5 - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK Wikia Discussion - what improvements are needed ?

• 54 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDK Wikia Discussion - what improvements are needed ?
« Reply #40 on: 06 / April / 2013, 16:05:46 »
Advertisements
I think we should have a page (on wikia) that collects ports with known problems. I mean problems that can be solved when somebody is available to test.
Forum requests like this tend to get forgotten.
However, I don't know how it should look and what would be the best way to "advertise" it.

Any thoughts about this?

« Reply #41 on: 06 / April / 2013, 16:39:43 »
That kind of brings up the whole question of a bug tracker again.  The mantis thing is long dead and I know reyalp has mused about putting something else in its place.   I think the assembla svn server has a bug tracker (?) but its probably not much use for end user.

Or were you really thinking about something more specific and limited ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #42 on: 06 / April / 2013, 16:51:18 »
Or were you really thinking about something more specific and limited ?
Sort of. I was thinking about getting the attention of users, when there actually is something to be tested. This is not the case for most of the bug reports.

I'm not saying that a bug tracker is a bad idea, of course.

« Reply #43 on: 06 / April / 2013, 17:05:49 »
Sort of. I was thinking about getting the attention of users, when there actually is something to be tested. This is not the case for most of the bug reports.
Could you put some sort of Notice box on the individual camera wiki page of any camera needing testing?   I think that's the most likely place to catch a new user who has the camera needed for testing ?

We all feel the need. Not sure if its a question of technology or somebody will to maintain it?

« Reply #44 on: 06 / April / 2013, 18:37:29 »
I added a note to the faq pointing to your new page.  Not sure how else to help people find it ?
« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2013, 18:43:33 by waterwingz »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #45 on: 06 / April / 2013, 19:06:23 »
I added a note to the faq pointing to your new page.  Not sure how else to help people find it ?
Well, that page is already linked from the "downloads" page, and is really only about ports not in autobuild.
I was thinking about a separate page for cameras already in autobuild but having known problems which could be solved by testing, like the above linked S5IS issue. Most people will just go to the download page -> autobuild, and not notice that there might be a more/less serious issue with the port...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #46 on: 06 / April / 2013, 19:20:51 »
I was thinking about a separate page for cameras already in autobuild but having known problems which could be solved by testing, like the above linked S5IS issue. Most people will just go to the download page -> autobuild, and not notice that there might be a more/less serious issue with the port...
This is something that's been on my mind too. I don't have a good solution though.

A notice on the cameras wiki page would be a start, something like "this port may have problems, see (forum thread) and post if you are can test". This would only help people who visit the camera wiki page though.

More ideal would be to flag it on the actual autobuild download page. I don't think hacki has time to re-work this, but he might be open to putting up a replacement if someone else came up with a shell script or whatever to generate it in the autobuild process. Then the "this port has issues" links could be managed somewhere in svn (in the camera directory or camera_list.csv I guess)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #47 on: 06 / April / 2013, 19:26:04 »
We all feel the need. Not sure if its a question of technology or somebody will to maintain it?
I think that bug tracker is a good idea.

Bug tracker was discussed some time ago: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=2357.msg81007#msg81007

Offline nafraf

« Reply #48 on: 19 / April / 2013, 22:08:19 »
I have another idea. I think that it is possible to detect changes to camera_list.csv and update http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/News automatically.  A new item would be added when new camera added to autobuild.
Sounds like a good idea :)
Today I ran the first test:
"(2013 04 19) New cameras added to Autobuild: A580: 100c "  Was generated by the script, and added automatically to  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/News after updating supported camera list.
After running script, I had to edit wiki/News to add end of line character, I'll fix it before the next test.

Any suggestion to news format?

« Reply #49 on: 19 / April / 2013, 22:12:08 »
Any suggestion to new format?
Nice job!  Thanks.

If we are not careful,  this is going to start to look alike a well run commercial software project rather than the hack that it wants to be   :haha