RAW Develop problems on SX230 HS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

RAW Develop problems on SX230 HS

• 14 Replies
RAW Develop problems on SX230 HS
« on: 06 / April / 2013, 10:09:46 »
Advertisements
Camera is SX230 ver 1.01A

The following problem occurs on all versions of CHDK I have:
  • 1.1.0-2669
  • 1.2.0-2673
  • 1.2.0 Rev2655 (nonexmem)

When "taking the picture" at the end of the RAW Convert Develop process the camera actually takes a picture and the resulting jpg is a combination of the RAW file plus the just taken picture.  The CHDK manual just says to take a picture so that's what I'm doing, is there some other procedure that must be followed?  I tried covering the lens but that results in a very overexposed, almost white, jpg of the original RAW file.

A related problem with RAW Convert occurs only in the non-exmem version: the camera will not process a .dng file into a CHDK RAW file.  The process seems to start and a progress bar is displayed, no progress is shown, and no new file is ever produced.  I've waited over a minute for the process to complete, but nothing.
« Last Edit: 15 / April / 2013, 15:31:41 by sx230user »

Re: RAW Convert problems on SX230 HS
« Reply #1 on: 06 / April / 2013, 13:28:45 »
FWIW,  I gave this a try on my G10 as I have never used the RAW develop menu item (I assume that's what you mean - rather than RAW Convert?) .   Took a little tinkering but it seems to work - I can convert any RAW image on the SD card to JPG.  If I change the camera's custom color settings, jpg save resolution, or aspect ration then the resulting JPG has those changes in effect.  I can convert the same RAW file many different ways and see the differences !

Unlike your experience,  my camera does not take an image when I press the shutter button to complete the conversion.  Rather the selected RAW file converts just like the user manual says it should.  So I guess what you are seeing is a bug in the sx230 port rather than a generic CHDK problem.

« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2013, 13:35:44 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #2 on: 06 / April / 2013, 15:53:30 »
When "taking the picture" at the end of the RAW Convert process the camera actually takes a picture and the resulting jpg is a combination of the RAW file plus the just taken picture.
I tried covering the lens but that results in a very overexposed, almost white, jpg of the original RAW file.
Can you upload an example (preferably full resolution) somewhere? Does the result depend on the current recording mode? AUTO or other "smart" modes may not work well with any CHDK RAW operations. Additionally, make sure that the lighting conditions are similar to when the original picture was taken, or switch off dark frame subtraction in the RAW menu.

I bet this is another one of those CHDK features that are rarely used, and nobody has noticed.
The raw hook is exactly there where it is in other ports of the same camera generation.

A related problem with RAW Convert occurs only in the non-exmem version: the camera will not process a .dng file into a CHDK RAW file.  The process seems to start and a progress bar is displayed, no progress is shown, and no new file is ever produced.
Without looking at the code, the reason might be too low available memory (as that's the only difference between the regular builds and the non-exmem build).
« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2013, 16:12:03 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #3 on: 06 / April / 2013, 18:11:07 »
Here's a RAW file developed in RAW Develop using the Sepia setting (just to choose one).  You can see outlines of a chair and a plant in the room where it was done.

IMG_0842

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #4 on: 06 / April / 2013, 19:08:51 »
Here's a RAW file developed in RAW Develop using the Sepia setting (just to choose one).  You can see outlines of a chair and a plant in the room where it was done.
I don't think this is specific to your camera.

Can anybody with a recent enough model try this?

« Reply #5 on: 06 / April / 2013, 20:04:02 »
Can anybody with a recent enough model try this?
I get a "print through" effect as well when I try it on my A1200 so I guess its not camera specific.

Just repeated the same test on my G10 - it gets the print through too if I use an all white subject then shoot something with a lot of contrast.
« Last Edit: 06 / April / 2013, 20:07:39 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 06 / April / 2013, 20:17:43 »
Are you using "i-contrast" when the "print through" shows up?

This is quite odd, the raw develop process should clobber the entire raw buffer before the jpeg is created.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 06 / April / 2013, 21:24:20 »
Are you using "i-contrast" when the "print through" shows up?

This is quite odd, the raw develop process should clobber the entire raw buffer before the jpeg is created.

Yes, i-contrast was on.  Should it be off?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 06 / April / 2013, 21:40:02 »
Yes, i-contrast was on.  Should it be off?
It's not a matter of "should", try with it off and report the results.

edit:
I tried raw develop on my D10 and didn't see any problems.

edit:
OK, I can reproduce this if i-contrast is on.

I took the raw of a white background, defocused by setting focus to infinity to give a very even background, then took the "raw develop" shot on a high contrast, in focus scene.

It's obvious in the jpeg when i-contrast, and not visible without.

I tried taking a difference of the jpeg from the original raw and the  without i-contrast "developed" shot to check if there was any trace of the ghost image, and didn't see any.

edit:
original https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GBkmqx7-wXTOdONIGWbLPtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
iconstrast off https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kKcxddx3fUonWCHK_AVd1tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
icontrast on https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2FbDFX7lEa_zG7S1oQg7VtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: 07 / April / 2013, 00:17:38 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 07 / April / 2013, 10:01:18 »
With i-contrast off all my versions of CHDK now create jpgs without ghosts or other problems.  Thanks.  Just curious, do you know why i-contrast causes this?