CHDK sx150 - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK sx150

• 10 Replies
CHDK sx150
« on: 12 / April / 2013, 08:08:38 »
Advertisements
I have installed this on my Sx150, however it is very glitchy looking. It does not look like it should from YouTube vids I have seen.

The menus don't show up until you scroll onto them & can't seem to see the menus properly.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 08:14:46 by Macca1980 »

Re: CHDK sx150
« Reply #1 on: 12 / April / 2013, 10:11:00 »
That's the display you normally get when you press & hold the Func/Set key down for too long.  The CHDK colors change a bit in every different Canon menu - it that one they wash right out.

What were you doing that causes it to appear?
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 10:42:25 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

CHDK sx150
« Reply #2 on: 12 / April / 2013, 10:48:30 »
That's the display you normally get when you press & hold the Func/Set key down for too long.  The CHDK colors change a bit in every different Canon menu - it that one they wash right out.

What were you doing that causes it to appear?

Hi Ibeas pressing the function key down, apologies that is how I thought you got menus to show.
I really just want to use this for HDR bracketing and RAW.

Does the bracketing only work with custom timer? And does it work only in manual mode?

Thanks for your help

« Reply #3 on: 12 / April / 2013, 12:21:24 »
Hi Ibeas pressing the function key down, apologies that is how I thought you got menus to show.
Pressing the Menu key gets the menus to show while in CHDK <ALT> mode.

I really just want to use this for HDR bracketing and RAW.
Does the bracketing only work with custom timer? And does it work only in manual mode?
You can use the CHDK bracketing with custom timer mode - it's best way to take each picture with the minimum delay between shots.   You can also use a custom script or the USB remote bracketing mode.  There is a simple HDR script included with the CHDK distribution and more sophisticated ones here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/User_Written_Scripts#HDR
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 12:22:56 by waterwingz »

CHDK sx150
« Reply #4 on: 12 / April / 2013, 12:56:23 »
Thanks for this ... I have got the bracketing to work.

I have 3 further issues... Now when I record a video it doesn't last very long and it just sort of stops... It doesn't do this if booting in normal mode.

Also I can't get the auto ISO to work ... I have it enabled and to give a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 and highest ISO.
It just seems to default to using the cameras normal auto ISO .

Also I have fully charged energizer batteries 2000mah , but when put in camera it only says 86% .they are def fully charged , why would this happen?
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 13:08:14 by Macca1980 »

Offline bill.sikes.7

• sx130_1.01c
« Reply #5 on: 12 / April / 2013, 13:55:40 »
Macca1980... I can't answer the first two questions but I think I know the answer to the last one.  Canon battery meters are calibrated for alkaline batteries and you are probably using NiMH batteries which, even when fully charged, have a slightly lower voltage than alkaline batteries.  The good thing is that NiMH will hold a functional voltage much longer than will alkaline batteries, so don't worry about the battery meter until it shows that it is time to replace the batteries.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 17:24:23 by bill.sikes.7 »

« Reply #6 on: 12 / April / 2013, 14:58:21 »
I have 3 further issues... Now when I record a video it doesn't last very long and it just sort of stops... It doesn't do this if booting in normal mode.
If you have the CHDK video quality setting too high,  recording will stop when the video can't be written to the SD card as quickly as it is generated.  Decrease the video quality setting (or just disable it but setting it to Default mode)

Also I can't get the auto ISO to work ... I have it enabled and to give a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 and highest ISO.  It just seems to default to using the cameras normal auto ISO .
CHDK auto ISO is a bit of a mystery at the moment.  The best description is probably the one provided by its author : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7284
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2013, 15:00:44 by waterwingz »

CHDK sx150
« Reply #7 on: 12 / April / 2013, 19:05:42 »
If you have the CHDK video quality setting too high,  recording will stop when the video can't be written to the SD card as quickly as it is generated.  Decrease the video quality setting (or just disable it but setting it to Default mode)

Also I can't get the auto ISO to work ... I have it enabled and to give a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 and highest ISO.  It just seems to default to using the cameras normal auto ISO .
CHDK auto ISO is a bit of a mystery at the moment.  The best description is probably the one provided by its author : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7284

Thanks for this.... I don't really understand the auto ISO link though...
I thought if you set it to a minimum shutter speed it wold bump up the ISO to make this possible. It doesn't do anything on mine though. Not to worry I was only looking for raw files and bracketing so its pretty good. I will make sure the video is set to default from now on.. I have a class 10 card so thought it would be able to handle it .

Any ideas why my battery only shows in 80% ? They are only a week old & were fully charged and put straight in camera.  Is it something to do with them being rechargeable?
I'm not complaining , It's great that it shows you now , I do like all the extra features .

« Reply #8 on: 12 / April / 2013, 19:45:28 »
Thanks for this.... I don't really understand the auto ISO link though...
At some point I'm going to read the source code and try to figure out what's really happening and write a short wikia page to explain it.  Its just not a high priority right now.
Any ideas why my battery only shows in 80% ? They are only a week old & were fully charged and put straight in camera.  Is it something to do with them being rechargeable?
bill.sykes.7 posted an answer to that (above).  One refinement though - you can "calibrate" the OSD battery display from the OSD menu.  The default values uses are whatever the person who did the port for your camera stuck in there.  They very well may never have been calibrated so you can set them yourself to get a 100% reading with a freshly charged set of enerloops and 0% just before the camera shuts off.  Just set the display to voltage rather than percent and watch the reading with freshly charged batteries and the reading just before the camera shuts itself down for low voltage.  Then plug those values into the menu fields,  switch back to displaying percentage and you should be good to go !

CHDK sx150
« Reply #9 on: 13 / April / 2013, 03:21:11 »
Macca1980... I can't answer the first two questions but I think I know the answer to the last one.  Canon battery meters are calibrated for alkaline batteries and you are probably using NiMH batteries which, even when fully charged, have a slightly lower voltage than alkaline batteries.  The good thing is that NiMH will hold a functional voltage much longer than will alkaline batteries, so don't worry about the battery meter until it shows that it is time to replace the batteries.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for this , apologies never seen your answer before I asked again.