Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards - page 15 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards

• 209 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards
« Reply #140 on: 23 / January / 2009, 17:43:42 »
Advertisements
@wim
It was a good timing with the 'new' CT 1.44 version: since today Avira declares v1.43 as trojan, too  >:(
But this was forseeable, it's well known that the virus definitions are exchanged (sadly without a quality check) very fast between the different scanner engines/companies...
One company start and declares something as as new Trojan TR-W32/bullshit666, then all the others add this new 'virus/trojan' with a different, fanciful name & some additional numbers to their scanners - yeah, like Lemmings (c)  ;)
« Last Edit: 23 / January / 2009, 17:45:13 by fe50 »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #141 on: 23 / January / 2009, 19:24:27 »
@fe50

hmm hadn't noticed that yet (running Avira myself) but that's probably because i:

a) never run full system scans (daily scan switched off, i can think of better ways to keep CPU / HD occupied)

b) have exclude my CHDK folder from AVGUARD scan ( speeds up compilation )

I'm glad I did it for CHDK-Shell as well, it appears that it is AutoIt's 'FileInstall' instruction that they
all get so steamed up about ...(it allows you to specify external files to pack into the executable
at compile time, which are then unpacked when executing the program ...)

[rant mode]

BTW, noticed something funny today - i unplugged my notebook's power adapter, and
suddenly my processor load shot up from 5-7% baseline to 45-50% and stayed that way
(1.5 hour) while i was discharging the battery. Fired up task manager -> it was avguard !
when my battery ran down and the notebook beeped crying for juice, i replugged ....
back to 5-7% ; in fact during normal (plugged in) use i've never seen this notebook
show such CPU use by Avira ...
Sounds like some programmer got the state of a flag wrong, don't you think ? I mean,
if i expect a behaviour change here, it would be to stop scanning on switching to battery
power. Pretty disappointing for c't Magazin's favourite ...
An Avira tip from a friend of mine (in case you run free version like me)
Deny execute rights to 'avnotify.exe' -> no more ads will pop up

really, as soon as i can get ClamWin to automatically scan any incoming file in my
DL folder, i seriously consider ditching the lot ... looks like they've all decided to
concentrate their main efforts on spying on your browser's activities and selling
the info to google ..

[/rant mode]

cheers,

wim

« Reply #142 on: 29 / January / 2009, 17:26:12 »
I have tried unsuccessfully to use version 1.43 to prepare a 4 gb SDHC card in my A610. I was able to do it previously with a 2 gb card.

I format it, it gives me the message about non standard cluster sizes. I make it bootable and transfer the software. Everything looks fine. I put the card in the camera and it says CARD ERROR   CARD IS LOCKED. This occurs whether I have the write protect tab in either position.

Any ideas? Thanks

PS I just tried it in my A550 and it worked. With the proper version of CHDK of course.
« Last Edit: 29 / January / 2009, 17:31:07 by darwin-t »

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #143 on: 29 / January / 2009, 17:43:27 »
to prepare a 4 gb SDHC card in my A610.

SDHC & A610? It works without CHDK?

« Reply #144 on: 29 / January / 2009, 17:50:07 »
Oh. I guess that's my problem. I just assumed the A610 could handle SDHC cards. I never tried it without CHDK.

« Reply #145 on: 21 / February / 2009, 00:04:13 »
this page is confusing me for some reason. so can i get a quick answer? 16gig SHDC cards work with CHDK autoboot, yes or no?
canon powershot sd900 ti
canon digital ixus 500
canon powershot s400
flickr

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #146 on: 21 / February / 2009, 05:05:38 »
this page is confusing me for some reason. so can i get a quick answer? 16gig SHDC cards work with CHDK autoboot, yes or no?

Someone else may know for sure for your cameras, but I have a 16 GiB SDHC autobooting CHDK on my a570is.

« Reply #147 on: 04 / March / 2009, 13:52:43 »
hi
i'm very new to chdk, so forgive me if i am ignorant
I read thru a lot of this thread, but cant seem to find the post i need to help
I have a canon as590, with a Sandisk SDHC extreme iii 8GB
no matter what i do, i cant get chdk to work.
I tried it on a small sd card with 32mb just to make sure i have the basic idea,
but beyond that?
I cant seem to partition my card,
i'm running windows xp,
Please help me
Thanks

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #148 on: 04 / March / 2009, 16:35:51 »
@shinbet

You need to partition your card first to be able to autoboot CHDK.

Try SDM installer, linked here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3164.msg29915.html#msg29915 to prepare your card. When you have partitioned your card, make the small FAT16 partition bootable and copy DISKBOOT.BIN on it,
The rest of the CHDK files should be copied to the large FAT32 partition. Finally set write protect on card to on.

Alternatively, you can start CHDK with the 'firm update method' , read here how:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_make_the_CHDK_program_load_automatically_at_startup.3F

HTH,

wim

« Reply #149 on: 05 / March / 2009, 07:08:05 »
@shinbet

You need to partition your card first to be able to autoboot CHDK.

Try SDM installer, linked here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3164.msg29915.html#msg29915 to prepare your card. When you have partitioned your card, make the small FAT16 partition bootable and copy DISKBOOT.BIN on it,
The rest of the CHDK files should be copied to the large FAT32 partition. Finally set write protect on card to on.
HTH,

wim

Ok, i tried the first option,
so the link provided in sdm installer, took me to a file thats been downloaded only a few times, setup exe, it installed nothing, and a little while later avira anti virus says something is wrong on my system and i'm getting pop ups from "addestination"
eventually i found the sdm installer at this location http://code.google.com/p/stereogigapan/downloads/list donwloaded it  and it seems to give me the utility you mentioned.
i partitioned the disk, put the boot on the smaller one, and the chdk folder on the other, but nothing i happened, (yes i locked it!)
I also tried to load all the chdk files without the folder,, but it did not work

any ideas?

thanks so much again