Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards - page 16 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards

• 209 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards
« Reply #150 on: 05 / March / 2009, 08:09:23 »
Advertisements
@shinbet

are you sure you haven't forgotten to make the small partition bootable ?
or to swap back to make the small partition visible ?

if sdminste 'sees' it as in the atttach it should work

and, are you using an official autobuild from here: http://mighty-hoernsche.de/

wim

« Reply #151 on: 05 / March / 2009, 11:57:33 »
well, i went back and did that, and it worked!!
I was sure i made it bootable to begin with! looks like i am sorted,
thanks for all your help!!!

« Reply #152 on: 21 / March / 2009, 00:19:29 »
hi um... i have a problem, but i think it's just me.

im trying to find out what firmware version my SX10IS is.

i downloaded v1.44 of Card Tricks.
i went to select my card from where it says 'select drive'
Problem 1: CardTricks keeps freezing when i click that.

but i managed to get around that.

So, next problem: i cant format it.
It keeps saying that it's write protected. but there's no little switch or anything to flick over on the card or the adapter.

im using a microSDHC turbo. with a transflash adapter to let my computer recognize it.

but the card and adapter dont have any switches or buttons on it. also, it's a 4GB card.

i dont know what im doing wrong. any help?

(if all that makes sense......)

NEVER MIND!!! I continued on reading the tutorial about finding your firmware and i found you can just change asdf.txt to ver.req XD

i feel like such a loser :(

thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: 21 / March / 2009, 00:26:03 by Racial »

« Reply #153 on: 20 / August / 2009, 11:10:04 »
Hi all. another newbie. First thanks all for amzing work u people are doing. I just bought A100IS. got to this forum accidently(good luck to me). I successfully created ver.req & vers.req & got the versions. While trying to make the card bootable using card tricks1.44, every step was completed successfully. (Foramting using FAT16, make BOOTABLE etc) but when loaded the card in camera, it shows card locked. Though if i press Funcset & disp key, version is shown. : PID 318E NT D, VER GM1.00B, Adj ver 007.010 etc. I am using 4 gb sandisk micro sdhc card with sd adapter & lock is turned on. Can any one tell where i am going wrong as i am not in to softwares much. TIA. keep up the good work. Cheers

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #154 on: 21 / August / 2009, 02:22:47 »
Hello & welcome, nawalsingal !
A100IS....successfully created ver.req & vers.req & got the versions.....version 1.00B
Copy the diskboot.bin file from http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2654.msg31940.html#msg31940 to the root of the FAT16 formatted, CHDK-bootable SD card, lock the card again...
The A1000 CHDK version (diskboot.bin) is an early BETA version, the porting thread is here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2654.0.html - pls. post there when you have more questions...
*Edit: typo  ;)
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2009, 02:36:38 by fe50 »

« Reply #155 on: 21 / August / 2009, 02:55:15 »
Thanks a to buddy. I hv also loaded beta ver of a1000. It's working. Though i am a novice for adv photography, still i m able to see remaining battery life, live histogram etc. various other settings are seen but since i don't know much about this, i'll read & try further. Thanx again for amazing work u people are doing. :)

« Reply #156 on: 22 / August / 2009, 19:34:16 »
Is there any disadvantage to using FAT16 formatting on a 4gig SDHC Ultra II card? I am trying to decide the best way to use these cards. I guess I am asking if the speed performance in the camera is affected. If I want to use the multi partition method, what is the best way to do that? Thanks
Canon A 720IS

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #157 on: 23 / August / 2009, 02:53:49 »
Is there any disadvantage to using FAT16 formatting on a 4gig SDHC Ultra II card? I am trying to decide the best way to use these cards. I guess I am asking if the speed performance in the camera is affected. If I want to use the multi partition method, what is the best way to do that? Thanks

This may not be a particularly good thread for this question... but the way I've understood it you definitely should use FAT16 whenever you can (i.e. on any card up to 4GiB), because multipartition cards boot slower (due to automatic partition swap + reboot taking its time) and are a bit more cumbersome to install and use (especially for windows users, who can only see one of the partitions at a time when using a card reader instead of USB download).

« Reply #158 on: 23 / August / 2009, 03:53:32 »

This may not be a particularly good thread for this question... but the way I've understood it you definitely should use FAT16 whenever you can (i.e. on any card up to 4GiB), because multipartition cards boot slower (due to automatic partition swap + reboot taking its time) and are a bit more cumbersome to install and use (especially for windows users, who can only see one of the partitions at a time when using a card reader instead of USB download).

My apologies, this is day one for me and it is a bit deep. Thanks for the info, I can understand how the multi-partition would slow down the boot and makes things more difficult in general. From your post I am gathering that there is no loss in write speed for the camera etc. when using the Fat16 format. I got the SDHC Ultra to have a fast card and I didn't want to lose speed unintentionally. Thanks again for the help and for all of the great things you and everyone had done on this project.
Canon A 720IS

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #159 on: 23 / August / 2009, 07:54:54 »
From your post I am gathering that there is no loss in write speed for the camera etc. when using the Fat16 format. I got the SDHC Ultra to have a fast card and I didn't want to lose speed unintentionally.

I haven't benchmarked this, but I wouldn't worry. If you want to be sure, you can try it of course. I regularly use 3 cards: 1 GiB  Sandisk Ultra II and 4 GiB and 16 GiB Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards. The largest is of course a dual partition FAT16/FAT32 setup, others are FAT16.

I mostly use the 16 GiB card for timelapses only because appears to perform a bit slower than the others even though it benchmarks (in CHDK debug menu benchmark, that is) similarly to the 4 GiB one. Partially this is because the camera works faster when there aren't many photos on the card (put a 16 GiB card full of photos and it takes literally ages to boot to play mode), but filesystem size could affect speed too (smaller card handling faster).