Disabling the noise reduction in JPGs - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum  

Disabling the noise reduction in JPGs

• 4 Replies

Offline RaduP

Disabling the noise reduction in JPGs
« on: 08 / September / 2009, 21:31:24 »
Advertisements
Is there a way to disable the 'noise reduction' that is just smearing the noise all over?
That's really, really annoying, and IMHO it degrades the quality a lot. yes, i know, you can shoot raw, but the WB is not saved, and it's a pain to restore the proper WB from the JPG..

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Disabling the noise reduction in JPGs
« Reply #1 on: 09 / September / 2009, 02:32:09 »
Is there a way to disable the 'noise reduction' that is just smearing the noise all over?
That's really, really annoying, and IMHO it degrades the quality a lot. yes, i know, you can shoot raw, but the WB is not saved, and it's a pain to restore the proper WB from the JPG..

No way has been found. Don't know if anyone has really searched for it, though.

DNG stores WB (on all cams? I don't remember).

Offline RaduP

« Reply #2 on: 09 / September / 2009, 02:44:05 »
Oh, I didn't try the DNG yet, just the plain raw. But even so, it would be nice not to have to process additional files, and just get the jpeg with the nice parameters done.

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #3 on: 09 / September / 2009, 09:34:22 »
i don't want to see noise on the screen, i'm not pixel peeping, i'd like to have a bit more chroma NR, just ideal for social shooting, for small prints...
btw an image withot NR at iso 400 looks horrible, not to say iso 800 or 1600
for post processing use dng/raw...
maybe dng saving would be nice if it would be faster (or just without black screen), maybe i would use more often...
« Last Edit: 09 / September / 2009, 10:10:25 by dzsemx »

Offline RaduP

« Reply #4 on: 09 / September / 2009, 14:50:18 »
The idea is, if the camera OPTIONALLY outputs a noisy picture, you can try to remove the noise yourself on your PC, where there are more options available, and it is generally done better than on the camera (no time constraints).
However, you can't restore the lost detail on a NRed picture.
And yes, I looked at some ISO 800 raws, the noise is pretty strong, but the image somehow looks cleaner than the NR version.