Flash and LCD off - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Flash and LCD off

• 25 Replies
Flash and LCD off
« on: 23 / April / 2013, 21:16:03 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

I have what seems like it should be a simple problem. After frustrating myself for an hour trying to get it to work and searching for relevant posts, I've just decided to make my own post:

I have a Canon SD450 with the CHDK software already installed (by someone else). I want to send the camera up in a weather balloon and have it automatically take pictures. I can get a script to run to take pictures at an interval with no problem. The problem I have is that I cannot get the flash to turn off, or the LCD screen to turn off (to save power).

I have found the 'Force Manual Flash' and 'Disable LCD off' commands, but I've tried all of the possible options (e.g. always, never, etc.) and they do not have the desired effect.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Flash and LCD off
« Reply #1 on: 23 / April / 2013, 21:25:53 »
Post your script here and we will fix it for you.

I can also point you to a couple of other scripts used in balloon trips once the forum gets working again.  There is also a SDM script that I'm sure microfunguy will point to if you want to go that route.

In the meantime,  these might be of some interest :  http://www.francescobonomi.it/ICBNN
http://hab.forestviewmultimedia.com/index.html

Update :  Here you go : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6397.msg78414#msg78414

and here's a link to the SDM script : https://www.box.com/s/mnf6le1sj5t5ts2xnnus
« Last Edit: 23 / April / 2013, 23:41:25 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 24 / April / 2013, 11:13:21 »
Thanks for the help. I copied your simpler code from the link and have been trying to use it with little success. All I want is for the camera to take pictures until the battery dies, with the flash and the LCD off.

I put your code (below) onto the camera, and it took on shot, then another 60 seconds later. After that it just stopped and waited... no idea why.

Code: [Select]
@title Intervalometer
@param a = interval (sec)
@default a 60

do
    s = get_tick_count
    shoot
    sleep a*1000 - (get_tick_count - s)
until ( 0 )

To turn the LCD and flash off, I thought I would want something like the code below, but that was not working either.

@title Intervalometer
@default a 60
flash_off

do
    s = get_tick_count
    shoot
    set_backlight 0
    sleep a*1000 - (get_tick_count - s)
until ( 0 )

I have at least managed to turn review mode off using the regular Canon options.

What am I doing wrong?

« Reply #3 on: 24 / April / 2013, 12:51:12 »
@title Intervalometer
@default a 60
flash_off
Unfortunately,  there is no "flash_off" function.  What  you can use is :

set_prop 143 2s

I put your code (below) onto the camera, and it took on shot, then another 60 seconds later. After that it just stopped and waited... no idea why.
Try this instead then :
@title Intervalometer
@default a 60
set_prop 143 2
:loop
    shoot
    sleep(2000)
    set_backlight 0
    sleep a*1000-2000
goto "loop"

« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2013, 13:33:37 by waterwingz »

« Reply #4 on: 24 / April / 2013, 13:46:43 »
Again, thank you so much for helping. I'm hoping to get this working by tomorrow for our test launch.

Unfortnately, the set_prop(143, 2) command did not work.... The script ends immediately after I start it and I get the following message at the top left of the screen in red:
uBASIC:6 Parse err

I also tried set_prop(16, 2) in case it was a propset 1 camera, to no avail. Is there anyway I can confirm which propset my camera is? It is an SD450.

When I remove the set_prop command the script runs fine, including turning the backlight off.

Any other ideas?

« Reply #5 on: 24 / April / 2013, 14:00:47 »
I updated the script.

« Reply #6 on: 24 / April / 2013, 14:18:24 »
and here's a link to the SDM script : https://www.box.com/s/mnf6le1sj5t5ts2xnnus

Which reminds me, someone who is meant to be launching a balloon using that script has 'disappeared'  ... a very common occurrence with testers and users that I am getting sick of.

« Reply #7 on: 24 / April / 2013, 14:34:40 »
I had thought the parenthesis might be the problem as well, so I tried taking them out a little while ago. Again, no dice. Oddly, when I do not use parenthesis, I do not get the Parse error, but the flash goes off anyway.

At this point I may have to resort to using the regular camera options to turn the flash off, then run my script. This does achieve most of what I want, though it takes some extra steps. For some reason the red light on the front of the camera also flashes for several extra seconds before taking the picture. Is there a way to stop it from doing this?

« Reply #8 on: 24 / April / 2013, 16:44:46 »
I posted everything above from work.  I'll test tonight when I get home and can actually try it on a camera.

« Reply #9 on: 24 / April / 2013, 17:00:03 »
At this point I may have to resort to using the regular camera options to turn the flash off

The SDM build and script DO turn the flash off.
In fact, that script is an entire package for a balloon launch starting from packing the payload, lift-off movies and images, high altitude movies and images with a computed exposure to reduce errors due to direct sun or dark space and continuous sequences of movies and images for the descent.

It has been used on a previous flight.

It is ready to run 'out of the box', no need to write your own script, just click-and-go (assuming there are no bugs in the SDM IXUS55 build).
Further information on request.

« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2013, 17:04:05 by Microfunguy »