SX50 RAW - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX50 RAW

• 4 Replies
SX50 RAW
« on: 04 / May / 2013, 06:07:22 »
Advertisements
Hi,
I would like to ask something about my SX50 and CHDK.

As you know,SX50 have RAW as default. I always shoot in jpeg+RAW.
Now I start to use CHDK, and among all other features,I got RAW feature.

Do I just ignore that and use default Canon RAW,or is some difference between default RAW and CHDK RAW ?
I hope you understand what I talking about :)

Regards,
Woody

Re: SX50 RAW
« Reply #1 on: 04 / May / 2013, 08:44:35 »
Do I just ignore that and use default Canon RAW,or is some difference between default RAW and CHDK RAW ?
I hope you understand what I talking about :)
For the most part,  you are better off using Canon RAW.  It will usually save faster and I believe Canon applies lens corrections to their RAW images - saving you the need to do it in you PC later.

However, there are a few "tricks" that only work with CHDK RAW like "RAW Develop".  And using CHDK you can get images in DNG format - a more generic way of saving the image that might work with some photo software that won't accept a  Canon RAW image.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 04 / May / 2013, 13:01:20 »
Thank you for your answer.

When you got time,can you tell me one more thing...
On my SX50 I got 3 temp sensors, and I got the values on the screen.
But,to get any sense/use of it,I would like to know optimal temperatures for sensor,optic,battery, so if you have any idea...
Right now,they are just numbers on the screen.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / May / 2013, 13:47:22 »
On my SX50 I got 3 temp sensors, and I got the values on the screen.
But,to get any sense/use of it,I would like to know optimal temperatures for sensor,optic,battery, so if you have any idea...Right now,they are just numbers on the screen.
There is really not much you can do with the temperature information.  I suspect it was originally added just because somebody figured out how to do it and decided to display it.   

Sometimes when developing new CHDK features and scripts,  its useful to watch the values to make sure the new feature is not overloading the camera.  If the temperature stays stable then things are okay,  if it starts rising and keeps going it then its better to disable the new feature.

Having said all that,  I don't really know what a "safe" value should be.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 04 / May / 2013, 14:35:31 »
I agree, it's nice to track changes,may be useful.
I will try to find on the web some 'normal' values for camera sensors,maybe someone mention it ,and if I find
anything ,will report here.

Thank you once again for your help.

Regards,
Woody