Bracketing in Continuous Mode - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Bracketing in Continuous Mode

• 12 Replies
Bracketing in Continuous Mode
« on: 15 / May / 2013, 21:50:22 »
Advertisements
 I have chdk loaded on my sx120 IS. Record in RAW is on and works perfectly with single shots and the simple script that is provided with the package. When I try bracketing in continuous mode with or without the timer, RAW is not recorded.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Bracketing in Continuous Mode
« Reply #1 on: 15 / May / 2013, 22:04:00 »
I have chdk loaded on my sx120 IS. Record in RAW is on and works perfectly with single shots and the simple script that is provided with the package. When I try bracketing in continuous mode with or without the timer, RAW is not recorded.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Assuming you are using the CHDK "Bracketing in Continuous Mode" option (rather than something in the Canon menus) then in the RAW menu do you accidentally have "Only first RAW in Series" enabled ?   What about "Disable RAW at Burst" in the RAW Exceptions menu?  Or any of the other RAW exceptions for that matter?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 15 / May / 2013, 22:35:05 »
I'm ok on all of those.  Is it some sort of timing/write speed problem?  I'm at wits end.

Thanks for the response.

George

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 15 / May / 2013, 23:30:25 »
I'm ok on all of those.  Is it some sort of timing/write speed problem?  I'm at wits end.
No, it's either an incorrect setting or a bug in the port.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 16 / May / 2013, 00:14:22 »
or a bug in the port.
A different path through the capt_seq_task() while in continuous mode maybe?

« Reply #5 on: 16 / May / 2013, 16:23:52 »
"A different path through the capt_seq_task() while in continuous mode maybe?"

Not sure what this mean.  Probably beyond my expertise.   ;)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 16 / May / 2013, 16:56:03 »

Unless you are a programmer. If you are, we can point you in the right direction.

If you are sure you have the settings right, then there's probably a bug in the port where the CHDK hook that saves the raw is not called. If one of the "raw exceptions" was being hit, there should be some kind of notification in the UI.

The next step is for a developer to look at the capt_seq.c code of this camera, and probably compare it to other, known working cameras of a similar generation. I'll try to do this if no one else gets to it first, but it may be a few days before I have time. Assuming we find something, we will need someone with the camera to test it, so please keep following the thread.

« Reply #7 on: 16 / May / 2013, 19:28:17 »

Unless you are a programmer. If you are, we can point you in the right direction.

If you are sure you have the settings right, then there's probably a bug in the port where the CHDK hook that saves the raw is not called. If one of the "raw exceptions" was being hit, there should be some kind of notification in the UI.

The next step is for a developer to look at the capt_seq.c code of this camera, and probably compare it to other, known working cameras of a similar generation. I'll try to do this if no one else gets to it first, but it may be a few days before I have time. Assuming we find something, we will need someone with the camera to test it, so please keep following the thread.

I am a reformed programmer of sorts.  We coded with chisels on a stone tablet and my skills are obsolete.

Thanks for offering the help.  It's really more than I expected or deserve.

« Reply #8 on: 16 / May / 2013, 19:33:31 »
I am a reformed programmer of sorts.  We coded with chisels on a stone tablet and my skills are obsolete.
FORTRAN, COBOL or IBM Assembler?

Thanks for offering the help.  It's really more than I expected or deserve.
Its usually a community effort around here. Help flow to people who are polite and willing to assist with testing things related to whatever problem they are having.

Update :  as a side note,  do you understand that when you enable RAW, the time to save the RAW file will be two to five seconds per image (depending on camera sensor size and SD card speed) so "continuous mode" will not exactly be speedy?
« Last Edit: 16 / May / 2013, 21:03:52 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 02 / June / 2013, 22:22:47 »
I'll try to do this if no one else gets to it first, but it may be a few days before I have time. Assuming we find something, we will need someone with the camera to test it, so please keep following the thread.
Or more than a few days  :-[

I finally had a bit of a look at this, but so far I don't see anything obvious obvious to try. The raw hook seems to be in a similar location to many other cameras, but there are a lot of differences in the code even among cameras of the same generation (DryOS R39). SX20 and S90 both have the raw hook in two places, but they don't obviously correspond to what exists in the sx120 code.