CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please) - page 4 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)

• 48 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)
« Reply #30 on: 16 / May / 2010, 05:33:08 »
Advertisements
So does the camera fix covert pictures already taken or just future pictures?
Just future pictures.

what can I use to convert my.crw to .dng.?BTW I have a Sx10 IS
You can use the latest DNG4ps-2 beta (http://code.google.com/p/dng4ps2/downloads/list), also you can use DCRAW (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) or DCRAW-based applications (e.g. UFRAW, http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ ) to convert/edit the already taken RAW files...
See also http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Software

Offline hwntw

« Reply #31 on: 09 / June / 2010, 17:59:05 »
So does the camera fix covert pictures already taken or just future pictures? If not, what can I use to convert my.crw to .dng.?BTW I have a Sx10 IS

CHDK should use DNG as its default file format for RAW. All RAW files should be saved as DNG, either on the fly (a script?) or by batching.
The current RAW format used by CHDK is a barrier to its wider use. Improvements like using DNG and further refining/paring down of the software as per SDM, will result in a new, CHUK (User [friendly] Kit)
Ixus 300HS S100

Windows 10

Offline abhay

« Reply #32 on: 16 / September / 2010, 02:48:56 »
how can i use the raw .crw files generated by canon ixus95/sd1200is to be read properly by photoshop cs3? is there a way to make them open in photoshop.  i needed to merge them and generate hdr in ps.

just for info, the crw files from the chdk in my ixus95is camera are read properly by the latest alpha version of rawtherapee but incorrectly many times by ufraw(weird green color).
CanonIxus 95IS/sd1200

« Reply #34 on: 13 / November / 2011, 19:52:11 »
Would anyone happen to know if the Canon Powershot SD1100IS is not capable of shooting in raw mode after downloading CHDK into the camera? I downloaded the CHDK for my Powershot and set up the RAW Parameters and I take pictures and when I take the memory card and put it in my external card reader the pictures are in the files as jpegs and there are no RAW images. The CHDK Firmware that I am using is CHDK 0.9.9-1390 Build Oct 29, 2011  (ixus80-sd1100-101a-0.9.9-1390-full) Feel free to send me a email at duanemc@live.com  Thanks!  Duane

NEWS: : Please note that for quite some time now, it is possible generating DNG (Digital negative) in camera by the use of chdk. DNGs can be read by ALOT of GFX editing programs - so use dng instead of the "raw" files.

Fact 1 - with CHDK Canon's cheap P&S cameras can shoot raw now (well, they always could, but now you can also access these raws).

Fact 2 - these RAW files unfortunately only have a 10 bit depth  (less than the average bit depth of DSLR RAW files (12 bit, sometimes 14) but they are still better than the compressed jpgs (bit-depth wise).

Fact 3 - It is depending on YOU and YOUR skills how the resulting JPG after RAW developing will look like. Please read tutorials on RAW conversion & editing. If you have no experience whatsoever regarding RAW files and developing, it is likely that you are better off with the JPGs produced by the camera.

Fact 4 - if you want to use the CHDK RAW files in your standard RAW workflow tool it is likely that they cannot be opened (as a lot of commercial raw converters/editors do not support CHDK RAWs yet).

Fact 5 - CHDK raw files do not contain any exif data. you are bound to either store them together with the corresponding jpg, or convert them to dng using dng4ps (which uses the exif data from the jpgs to merge them into the dng).

Fact 6 - the canon cameras are known for very good jpg output quality. experienced users might squeeze more quality out of the RAWs though, especially if a shot was made in either low-light conditions or with blown-out highlights. In general it is best to NOT rely on the RAWs, instead just shoot right in the first place, know what i mean? The RAW files can be used as some kind of "backup".
Here is a list of programs that work with CHDK raws out of the box (to be completed - need input):

- dng4ps - THE standard tools to convert chdk raws into DNG files. there also is a Mac build in the making here. DNGs can be opened by almost all applications. If you are unhappy with the result of the conversion or your camera isnt supported yet, here is a thread you can participate in: New project: camera color profile calculation
- dcraw - commandline utility that will convert every raw file on earth. there are some nice guis for it, like UFraw or rawtherapee (please google).
- google's picasa - reports tell that picasa supports CHDK raw files (confirmed with beta3 and canon s5is)
- raw therapee
- ufraw (based on dcraw)

If you know more tools, please say so in this thread, will add them to the list.

I couldnt find the page describing CHDK & RAW in the wikia. maybe someone can provide me the link, or even create such a page (one cannot search for RAW in the wikia as it only has 3 letters... and also it wasnt linked in the A-Z summary).

P.S: Please dont use this forum to ask about what a RAW file is (wikipedia is your friend). Also, we dont know the best raw workflow, it really depends on your own experience. there are threads regarding this topic though, please make a search for these.

P.P.S: Please dont start a discussion about the benefit of RAW. Love it or leave it :)

« Reply #35 on: 13 / November / 2011, 20:12:39 »
I downloaded the CHDK for my Powershot and set up the RAW Parameters and I take pictures and when I take the memory card and put it in my external card reader the pictures are in the files as jpegs and there are no RAW images.
Did you select "RAW File in Dir with JPEG" in the RAW menu ?  If not,  then the RAW files could be in a different directory on your SD card.

You can tell if CHDK is storing RAW images by observing the time your camera takes between shots.  You will notice a considerable delay while CHDK stores the RAW image compared to the time it normally takes your camera between shots.

Feel free to send me a email at duanemc@live.com
Well, thanks for the email address but we generally prefer to answer questions here in the forum so that everyone can share the learnings.

« Last Edit: 13 / November / 2011, 20:14:34 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #36 on: 13 / November / 2011, 21:20:42 »
Would anyone happen to know if the Canon Powershot SD1100IS is not capable of shooting in raw mode after downloading CHDK into the camera? I downloaded the CHDK for my Powershot and set up the RAW Parameters and I take pictures and when I take the memory card and put it in my external card reader the pictures are in the files as jpegs and there are no RAW images. The CHDK Firmware that I am using is CHDK 0.9.9-1390 Build Oct 29, 2011  (ixus80-sd1100-101a-0.9.9-1390-full) Feel free to send me a email at duanemc@live.com  Thanks!  Duane

« Reply #37 on: 13 / November / 2011, 21:58:26 »
Would anyone happen to ...   email at duanemc@live.com  Thanks!  Duane
Whould anyone happen to know why you posted this twice and did not respond to answer you received the first time?

« Reply #38 on: 23 / November / 2011, 21:10:15 »
 I have been trying IrfanView. It does display the image when opened. It offers compatibility with .crw and .cr2 files. I have successfully converted my .crw files to png and opened them in photoshop. I tried to convert to raw, but it asked me to select options and I don't know how, so I wasn't able to figure that out yet.
« Last Edit: 23 / November / 2011, 21:32:17 by traildad »
Canon A 720IS

« Reply #39 on: 23 / November / 2011, 21:12:04 »
I have been trying IrfanView. It does display the image when opened. It offers compatibility with .crw and .cr2 files. I have successfully converted my .crw files to png and opened them in photoshop. I tried to convert to raw, but it asked me to select options and I don't know how, so I wasn't able to figure that out.
Ummm ... and which camera do you have ?