S95 Porting Thread - page 87 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

S95 Porting Thread

• 1015 Replies
Re: S95 Porting Thread
« Reply #860 on: 01 / June / 2011, 05:30:28 »
Advertisements
2 days and maybe 20 startup without any crash  :D
I assume the flag "CAM_STARTUP_CRASH_FILE_OPEN_FIX" is working.

Is it already integrated in the current autobuild 0.9.9.1196 ?
will it be? When?
S95 100h

« Reply #861 on: 04 / June / 2011, 10:11:32 »
OK ,
Can someone send a private mail with keys(in fi2.inc), this will be very useful thank you.
« Last Edit: 05 / June / 2011, 05:05:29 by Syl20.mm »
S95 100h

« Reply #862 on: 12 / June / 2011, 15:37:43 »
Hi All,
I'm new to CDHK. I just picked up a S95 and tested some pictures with acid, and found, to my disappointment, that I'm running a currently undiscussed firmware revision 1.00k (check and found GM1.00k on camera with ver.req file in the root). Serial number starts with 252032......... if anyone out there wants to avoid the newest firmware revision. I've tested all of the available beta versions (e, h, i) and installed using CardTricks. When firmware is updated, I get a black screen and unresponsive camera. Everything back to normal when I remove and replace the battery. I've tested using a 1Gb SD and a 2Gb SDHC.

I've read through this S95 porting forum, for advice on getting the firmware to dump so that porting can begin on the new 1.00k firmware but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I've tried using CardTricks NewDryOS option. For autoboot function, write-protection must be enabled, but how can it dump the firmware to the card if the card is locked? When I try to start the camera with the cardtricks dumper, write-protection enabled, with the PLAY button, the camera does nothing, and after waiting several minutes and checking with CardTricks Strings or Clean, there is no valid data. I've tried the older DryOS dumper option, but only get card locked error when starting the camera.

I've also tried the dump manually using the Canon Basic Script Dumper. With the script dumper, I'm not even sure how to run the script once its in the camera -- all I see on their wiki (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic) is to push the func/set button to load script. When I do this only a digital clock appears. I've tried their "hello world" script to test, as well, and I still only get the clock after holding down the func/set. Just pushing func/set without holding down does nothing. As far as I can tell, I've set the correct "SCRIPT" at the boot sector.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the firmware 1.00k to dump properly? I'm willing to do any testing as needed to get this working, so feel free to PM or email me if needed. In hopes of getting an earlier firmware revision, I'll be returning the camera within 14 days if we can't get this going.
« Last Edit: 12 / June / 2011, 15:46:44 by fetidpants »

« Reply #863 on: 12 / June / 2011, 15:56:51 »
Anyone have any advice on how to get the firmware 1.00k to dump properly?
We should probably update the wiki - Cardtricks is getting "long in the tooth" and dumping firmware with it is not possible for newer cameras.  It says this somewhere in the forum but people don't seem to find that part.

The Canon BASIC dumper is the way to go - need to add a note to read this http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup first though.

I ported to the S95I version with a minimum of issues so if you can dump the K it should be no problem.  Might not be tomorrow though.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #864 on: 12 / June / 2011, 17:21:00 »
Thanks for the help waterwingz -- I was actually writing you PM when you replied, as I thought you may have some advice.

I had already found the Card Setup instructions, but was messing up somewhere (tried in Ubuntu and Win7). I found user whim suggest using SDM 1.84 to prepare the card. Downloading common_files.zip from http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm
copying user Bernd R for any future reference, did the trick for me:

"1. start sdminste.exe (you must be Admin)

make sure you use a Card with not more as 4 GB.
select your SD Card letter, if the correct one is not detect.

If your Card is not format click format.

2. click button "make bootable Disk".
3. click button "Set Script Flag"
4. click button "SD Boot Sector Write"

5. Copy the files script.req and extend.m to your bootable sd Card.
6. now insert the SD Card in Camera and
   when you start your camera in play mode, and press func/set Button of Camera,
   the Firmware should be store on SD Card
"

I've posted the cdumper.log and primary.bin:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b9p8jy1n8vv2821/s95100k.zip

« Reply #865 on: 12 / June / 2011, 21:12:19 »
I've posted the cdumper.log and primary.bin:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b9p8jy1n8vv2821/s95100k.zip
Took a quick look - dump looks okay, or at least the first 100 bytes or so are correct.  Which is usually enough to say things are okay.

make sure you use a Card with not more as 4 GB.
Actually, for the record,  sdminste.exe is pretty much the only easy way to format a card bigger than 4G for CHDK.  However, as this involves dual partitioning its a bit more involved, hence the suggestion to use a card 4G or smaller I suspect.

« Last Edit: 12 / June / 2011, 21:21:38 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #866 on: 12 / June / 2011, 21:29:37 »
FWIW, the SCRIPT flag works just fine on FAT32 partitions, there is no need to partition or use a <= 4GB card for dumping with the canon basic script. You also don't need to set the BOOTDISK string, only the SCRIPT script string.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #867 on: 13 / June / 2011, 16:25:22 »
Added the S95 1.00K full (8mb) dump by fetidpants from this post to the box.net/chdk repository.

Re: S95 Porting Thread - 1.00k firmware initial release
« Reply #868 on: 14 / June / 2011, 22:02:05 »
First test build :  S95 firmware 1.00k  {Card lock boot method only.}

All task turned off so if this works successfully,  it will show the CHDK logo on boot and let you use the menus, OSD & games. No other shooting or movie functions.

Once I have confirmation this runs,  I'll turn on the rest of the tasks and we can take it from there.

Re: S95 Porting Thread firmware 1.00k
« Reply #869 on: 15 / June / 2011, 11:32:27 »
Thanks waterwingz!

I'm unable to autoboot using the provided files. Steps taken:
Format 1gb card to FAT16
Make Bootable
Copied contents of firmware 1.00k zip
Locked card
Started camera with play.

Result:
Nothing happens. If I reinsert the battery, unlock card, camera starts in play mode just fine.
With card locked, pushing on/off or play to start does nothing.

I've tried the above steps with both CardTricks and SDMinste.exe

Any ideas?