Does chdk supports A480? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Does chdk supports A480?

• 10 Replies
Does chdk supports A480?
« on: 01 / May / 2009, 11:31:51 »
Advertisements
I have a a480 DC,but i have not found the chdk for a480.What should i do?

and i found the chdk for a470.but it doesn't work on my DC....

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Does chdk supports A480?
« Reply #1 on: 02 / May / 2009, 07:22:47 »
Hello & welcome, psjatqpgf !

I have a a480 DC,but i have not found the chdk for a480.What should i do?
and i found the chdk for a470.but it doesn't work on my DC....

Sorry, but CHDK is NOT available for the A480 !

You can check the NEWS box on the CHDK Wikia from time to time to see whether a version for your A580 is released...

« Reply #2 on: 02 / May / 2009, 11:14:30 »
thank u  fe50, i will wait for it~

« Reply #3 on: 13 / May / 2009, 03:17:01 »
Hi, I have an A480. Also, I'm an unemployed mathematician/programmer. Where do I go to find out ways I can help porting CHDK for this particular camera?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 13 / May / 2009, 13:43:55 »
Hi, I have an A480. Also, I'm an unemployed mathematician/programmer. Where do I go to find out ways I can help porting CHDK for this particular camera?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/For_Developers would be the place to start.

« Reply #5 on: 22 / March / 2010, 16:18:50 »
Hello,

I have a A480 too, and all I need is for the LCD screen to be off while video is on, or an intervalometer for extended shots.  I am doing a high-altitude weather ballon project, and have a A470 that will be taking pictures, but I would like two cameras to increase the odds that if one fails I still get pictures.  I would like one to do stills (A470) and the other to do a video (A480) but with the LCD on the battery drains after 28 minutes of video, which is unacceptable!  The A/V out plug trick doesn't work on the A480 while using video, and neither does the auto-lcd shutdown.  While using it as a video camcorder, it wants to stay on...bad feature I think...anyone know how to turn this darn thing off?  I need 2-3 hours of video and hopefully more.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #6 on: 22 / March / 2010, 16:39:14 »
The LCD doesn't really draw that much power. When your camera enters the power saving mode (the 'display off' mode), it actually shuts down the LCD, the LCD backlight, the CCD, and focus mechanics to name four things that I know of. AFAIK, the CCD stuff is the most power hungry of the four and you just simply can't power off the sensor and continue shooting video because there's no picture left.

CHDK can power off the LCD backlight with the script command set_backlight, which will help you a little bit but certainly not enough.

But...28 minutes sounds like exremely poor performance! I'm guessing you're in need of a new battery.

« Reply #7 on: 23 / March / 2010, 13:29:12 »
That's just it though.  I'm using the expensive advanced lithium batteries ($10 for a pack of 4!) and it just doesn't last long enough.  Utrning off the lcd screen does save at least some power.  For my first high altitude launch I may simply need to use one camera and hope it works.  It should, but I don't like the idea of having a camera failure and the entire project going to waste.  Apparently someone on this board did a "down and dirty" one day port for the A480?  If I can get an intervalometer for the A480, or turning off the backlight like you posted that would be great, but at this time I don't think there is any stable for the A480 yet?  I may just use my A480 to take photos on the ground of the project. 

The LCD doesn't really draw that much power. When your camera enters the power saving mode (the 'display off' mode), it actually shuts down the LCD, the LCD backlight, the CCD, and focus mechanics to name four things that I know of. AFAIK, the CCD stuff is the most power hungry of the four and you just simply can't power off the sensor and continue shooting video because there's no picture left.

CHDK can power off the LCD backlight with the script command set_backlight, which will help you a little bit but certainly not enough.

But...28 minutes sounds like exremely poor performance! I'm guessing you're in need of a new battery.

« Reply #8 on: 20 / April / 2010, 07:11:08 »
Hi,

I have a a480 and unzipped the files to the root of the SD.  I verified the firmware version matches, but I can't find the "firm update" menu option.  I have seen posts verifying that they got it working. 

Does anyone have any ideas for someone who can't seem to get a "firm update" menu option?

thanks...

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #9 on: 20 / April / 2010, 08:41:29 »
Hello & welcome, wally416 !

I can't find the "firm update" menu option.
In short: Place ps.fi2 in the card's root, start in playback mode; on a Mac remove the additional "quarantine" file attribute...

See http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5054.msg49008.html#msg49008