Trying to get 32gb card to work on sx230hs - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Trying to get 32gb card to work on sx230hs

• 9 Replies
Trying to get 32gb card to work on sx230hs
« on: 15 / December / 2011, 19:58:46 »
Advertisements
I am a complete novice at chdk. I have successfully formatted a 4gb card for my camera but now I'm trying to get a 32gb card to work. I have a mac. I've tried to use SDM/CHDK Installer for OSX and also CHDK_prep. I am close to getting this right but keep running into a "memory error". Can someone please give me "detailed" instructions on how to correctly format this card?

Re: Trying to get 32gb card to work on sx230hs
« Reply #1 on: 15 / December / 2011, 20:06:28 »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 16 / December / 2011, 04:41:56 »
I'm surprised that my SDMInst app gave a 'memory error'. Are you saying that after you'd asked it to format the card, make it bootable and copy the files that when you put it in the camera the camera reported the error? If so, did SDMInst display any warning or error messages during processing?
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 17 / December / 2011, 00:22:09 »
The camera would take about 4-5 pictures and then tell me the memory was full. It looks like it's not swapping partitions to store pictures. I'm trying to keep away from doing a permanent firmware update (Am I right in assuming that it could corrupt the firmware that's in the camera and that if I don't have a copy of my camera's firmware, it will be a chore to get it back in there?).

« Reply #4 on: 17 / December / 2011, 00:30:44 »
I think the "memory error" may have come up after playing around while I was experimenting, trying to manual install the scripts and bin file onto the large partition. I've been doing so many things now that I may have lost track of where I was at when that particular error showed up. Should I just try this stuff with a PC instead of my mac? It looks like the mac os might not be allowing some of the files to run correctly i.e. @ at the end of the file names?

« Reply #5 on: 17 / December / 2011, 07:29:30 »
I'm trying to keep away from doing a permanent firmware update (Am I right in assuming that it could corrupt the firmware that's in the camera and that if I don't have a copy of my camera's firmware, it will be a chore to get it back in there?).
CHDK does not do a "permanent firmware update" - its loaded entirely in RAM regardless of how you boot it ( SD card lock or firmware update methods).

Take a look at the first two paragraphs on this page : link> CHDK in Brief

You might also want to do a little reading here :
link> CHDK User Manual
link> CHDK for Dummies
link> CHDK UserGuide April 2009
link> CHDK Installation Guide

t looks like the mac os might not be allowing some of the files to run correctly i.e. @ at the end of the file names?
You really do need to read the link I posted for you up above. Here it is again :
link> Firmware Update Method from a Mac computer
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 18 / December / 2011, 10:42:14 »
Okay, I'm following instructions on how to format but I keep getting error messages about formatting that I can't seem to resolve. Help please.

Last login: Sun Dec 18 09:31:14 on ttys000
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 -v Canon_DC -b 4096 -c 128 /dev/disk5s1
newfs_msdos: warning: /dev/disk5s1 is not a character device
512 bytes per physical sector
/dev/disk5s1: 7831424 sectors in 61183 FAT16 clusters (65536 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=128 res=1 nft=2 rde=512 mid=0xf0 spf=240 spt=32 hds=255 hid=0 bsec=7832032
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 -v Canon_DC -b 4096 -c 128 /disk5s1
newfs_msdos: /disk5s1: No such file or directory
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 -v Canon_DC -b 4096 -c 128 /dev/dis5s1
newfs_msdos: /dev/dis5s1: No such file or directory
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 -v Canon_DC -b 4096 -c 128 /dev/rdisk5s1
512 bytes per physical sector
/dev/rdisk5s1: 7831424 sectors in 61183 FAT16 clusters (65536 bytes/cluster)
bps=512 spc=128 res=1 nft=2 rde=512 mid=0xf0 spf=240 spt=32 hds=255 hid=0 bsec=7832032
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ fdisk -e/dev/disk5
fdisk: illegal option -- /
usage: fdisk [-ieu] [-f mbrboot] [-c cyl -h head -s sect] [-S size] [-r] [-a style] disk
   -i: initialize disk with new MBR
   -u: update MBR code, preserve partition table
   -e: edit MBRs on disk interactively
   -f: specify non-standard MBR template
   -chs: specify disk geometry
   -S: specify disk size
   -r: read partition specs from stdin (implies -i)
   -a: auto-partition with the given style
   -d: dump partition table
   -y: don't ask any questions
   -t: test if disk is partitioned
`disk' is of the form /dev/rdisk0.
auto-partition styles:
  boothfs     8Mb boot plus HFS+ root partition (default)
  bootufs     8Mb boot plus UFS root partition
  hfs         Entire disk as one HFS+ partition
  ufs         Entire disk as one UFS partition
  dos         Entire disk as one DOS partition
  raid        Entire disk as one 0xAC partition
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$ setpid 1
-bash: setpid: command not found
william-winkelmanns-iMac:~ wink666$

Offline zeno

« Reply #7 on: 18 / December / 2011, 18:34:14 »
William

since SDMInst didn't work for you, I suggest you try the bash script by Cowboytronic that I used as a basis for SDMInst. It's described as the 'Alternate scripted method' on the FAQ/Mac page here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac

You can download the script itself here http://cowboytronic.com/chdk/chdk_prep.dmg

As I said, SDMInst does pretty much the same thing, but the script worked perfectly for me when I tried it. I wrote SDMInst to make the process simpler and safer.

A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 18 / December / 2011, 18:56:41 »
Okay, I'm following instructions on how to format but I keep getting error messages about formatting that I can't seem to resolve. Help please.
Just a friendly warning: You really need to *understand* what you are doing before you go playing around with the fdisk etc commands. Read the man pages, use non-destructive commands like ls etc to identify the correct path to your particular device, and then when you are sure you know what you are doing, execute the appropriate command.

From your post it appears you are just throwing random variants of what you see on the wiki at the command line and hoping it will work. This is a recipe for disaster.

Note this
fdisk -e/dev/disk5
fdisk: illegal option -- /
Is caused just be leaving out a space between the -e and the device path
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 10 / January / 2012, 16:14:32 »
I used this method to activate autoboot: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/German/Manuelle_Bootkennung (german). The program HxD which is used in the manual runs only on Windows, but I think you can use any Hexeditor.
I have also an sx230hs and a 16gb card and it works.

edit:
For this method you need only a hexeditor, but it must can open sd cards (you need then only one partition).
« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2012, 16:16:34 by TobiMarg »