PTP and USB remote simultaneously with USB_force_active() - page 3 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

PTP and USB remote simultaneously with USB_force_active()

• 24 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: PTP and USB remote simultaneously with USB_force_active()
« Reply #20 on: 23 / May / 2015, 16:00:00 »
Advertisements
I was testing last night, and had no problems at all! I couldn't figure out what was different, but then I realized I was using the battery. All the problems were happening when I was using external power plugged into the wall. I'm not sure why tha would cause a problem.
Perhaps a difference in grounding?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #21 on: 23 / May / 2015, 16:03:37 »
I was testing last night, and had no problems at all! I couldn't figure out what was different, but then I realized I was using the battery. All the problems were happening when I was using external power plugged into the wall. I'm not sure why tha would cause a problem.
Perhaps a difference in grounding?
OMG ... can't believe I just let these posts fly by and miss the obvious!

Are you using batteries or a power supply for the camera?  Or as part of the USB remote circuit?  I have assumed you are trying to get "precision sync'd" shots while also doing PTP communications?   If so,  there is no need for any external power on the USB connection.   A standard USB cable with a switch in the +5V line is all that is needed.

If it's a camera power supply then reyalp's comments about grounding are appropriate.

If this does not make sense,  a wiring diagram and/or photo of your setup would help here!
« Last Edit: 23 / May / 2015, 16:09:55 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 23 / May / 2015, 17:51:28 »
The power supply is for the camera, here's where I bought it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008WY3WKQ

What I'm ultimately trying to do is have the USB remote trigger a picture, and then have that picture transferred immediately to the computer.

I'll take a picture of my setup tonight. It's just the USB cable (with the switch in the red line) from the computer to the camera, and the external power from the wall to the camera instead of the camera battery.

« Reply #23 on: 23 / May / 2015, 19:35:46 »
I dug around and found the powersupply for my G10.  Another elcheapo chinese clone with a fake battery but it's always worked well for me.

I've been running chdkptp in live view mode for the last 20 minutes with the 5V line switch open.   I'm periodically taking picture by toggling the 5V on and then off.

So far no disconnects - working pretty much exactly as expected.

I'll see if I can find the PS for my A1200/A560.  It's the one where I had to replace the output capacitors after they failed.  Although I'm pretty much expecting it to work too.

« Reply #24 on: 24 / May / 2015, 08:40:37 »
I'll take a picture of my setup tonight. It's just the USB cable (with the switch in the red line) from the computer to the camera, and the external power from the wall to the camera instead of the camera battery.
Here's another thought.

When you "open" the red wire with your switch,  the open wire between the switch and the camera becomes an antenna.  What happens then can depend on the shielding configuration in your USB cable (i.e. the foil shield should only be grounded at one end - usually the PC),  the length of the wire, and the amount of electrical noise in the area,  You could try adding a small resistor (say 4k7) between the open wire at the switch and the black (ground) wire at the switch.  This will effectively short out any induced voltage while not significantly adding much load to the power supply.

I'm grasping at straws here.