Auto power on, auto execution & auto shut off sequence? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Auto power on, auto execution & auto shut off sequence?

• 12 Replies
Auto power on, auto execution & auto shut off sequence?
« on: 19 / March / 2008, 08:55:04 »
Advertisements
Is it possible a script(s) could be written to auto power on the camera, take a photo with preset parameters, power down, and then run through the process at user-set intervals? Uses would be for taking photos at min ute or even hour intervals, for example, while maintaining battery longevity.

Thank you for all of your efforts.
You smite like a girl!

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
Re: Auto power on, auto execution & auto shut off sequence?
« Reply #1 on: 19 / March / 2008, 09:47:31 »
Script execution in power-off state? It is not possible.
Wake-up timer also not found (or not present) in Canon P&S cameras.
Maybe possible on some cameras, which can power-on when USB cable coonected (with external timer).

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #2 on: 19 / March / 2008, 12:27:11 »

« Reply #3 on: 19 / March / 2008, 13:40:31 »
I asked because I do not want to "solder wires to the switch".
It was simply a question.
You smite like a girl!

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 19 / March / 2008, 15:48:39 »
Well to sum it up: you can, by setting your script to autorun at power-on and program the script to power-off, but only if

1) your camera powers up automatically when you connect the USB cable (you need to test this yourself, some models do, some don't, my a570is doesn't).

and

2) you make/buy/whatever an external timer which wakes up the camera periodically by enabling USB supply voltage. If you aren't keen on electronics design, you can use off the shelf electronics to supply 5V to an USB cable (or if you can't manage that, even a complete gadget which provides an USB port; for example I have an externally powered USB hub which seems to supply 5V to it's output ports even if the hub isn't actually connected to a computer) and power it up periodically with a cheap analog or digital mains supply timer.

« Reply #5 on: 19 / March / 2008, 16:36:28 »
So it can't be "scripted" to "sleep".
The next best thing then is a computer software that'll send the 5V to the USB to wake it up.
I'll go looking, and report if I find something. ;)
You smite like a girl!

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #6 on: 19 / March / 2008, 17:54:31 »
So it can't be "scripted" to "sleep".
The next best thing then is a computer software that'll send the 5V to the USB to wake it up.
I'll go looking, and report if I find something. ;)

If I understood you correctly, you'll run into problems trying to disable the 5V in your computer's USB port. AFAIK that is impossible (USB ports always have their supply voltage enabled when the computer is on). This is probably typically not even implemented in hardware, let alone the operating systems. I wouldn't be too surprised if laptop hardware could do that for power management, though.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #7 on: 19 / March / 2008, 18:36:17 »
AFAIK that is impossible (USB ports always have their supply voltage enabled when the computer is on).

From my experience... The USB hub integrated into a NEC monitor (which I use on my work) does not have 5V on its outputs unless there are drivers installed. Even if its input is plugged in.
So, there are USB outputs, which can be powered on/off by external software. But it is no so easy to control that from user's side.
« Last Edit: 19 / March / 2008, 18:39:20 by GrAnd »
CHDK Developer.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #8 on: 19 / March / 2008, 19:27:05 »
PC controled timelapse

What's that then? Did my english-processing-unit (epu) miss that it uses another interface?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #9 on: 20 / March / 2008, 16:37:37 »
From my experience... The USB hub integrated into a NEC monitor (which I use on my work) does not have 5V on its outputs unless there are drivers installed. Even if its input is plugged in.
So, there are USB outputs, which can be powered on/off by external software. But it is no so easy to control that from user's side.

I'm not surprised at all to hear that there are devices like that... anyway, if it can be enabled/disabled in driver software and if it works on linux, it can probably be switched on and off quite smoothly in linux.

Of course it's still not quite an universal solution for CHDK control since you need specific hardware to have control over port power... making it a lot like any of the gadzillion other possible custom hacks or existing products you can use to pimp your PC to control something as ridiculously easy as a enabling/disabling a tiny 5 V power source :)