Is there a way to bypass recording limits on cameras that support SDXC? - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Is there a way to bypass recording limits on cameras that support SDXC?

• 1 Replies
Advertisements
Hi, I was wondering, most canon powershots have a recording limit of 1 hour or 4GB file size. I was wondering if it was possible to bypass the limit by spanning across multiple 4GB files, or for SDXC just have a larger than 4GB file size.

I have taken apart older point and shoots that can record video, and the CCD never really got warm and with newer cameras using lowered powered CMOS sensors, he should not be an issue, especially if 640x480 video can be an hour long but 1080p video will be stuck at 13 minutes due to the 4GB limit.

To me this seems like a logical goal to attempt to reach, getting rid of the recording limits of the cameras by allowing >4GB files for files systems that support it and spanning across multiple 4GB files for fat32.

(even if the time limit cannot be removed, removing the file size limit by spanning or other methods will allow for better 1080p recording (either by allowing longer record times, or allowing a user to up the bitrate of the recording).

Offline reyalp

Re: Is there a way to bypass recording limits on cameras that support SDXC?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / October / 2012, 22:28:55 »
Bypassing the file size limit is very unlikely to happen IMO. Splitting the video across multiple files is simple conceptually but I suspect making the necessary modifications to the Canon firmware tasks would be quite difficult.
Don't forget what the H stands for.