500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #640 on: 11 / April / 2011, 23:12:34 »
Advertisements
at this point my optimism in this port ever being finished is pretty much gone. the fact nobody has touched it in months aside from the past week of progress, and the more i look through the code, the more i see how different everything is.

the port is just outdated.. unless somebody can re-port with the latest 550d code, we're going nowhere far. i'm starting to realize that this is all over my head, and i'm just not able to do this. the small things are easy, but any major progress... idk now.

edit
i'm not even going to try right now. i'm just done for the time being. this is too much. i've reached my limit and suddenly i just can't stand to look at this any longer. i think other devs saw this coming miles away and that's why nobody has really been doing much with the 500d.

well.. it was a good learning experience at least.
« Last Edit: 11 / April / 2011, 23:19:54 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #641 on: 11 / April / 2011, 23:20:15 »
I know what you mean coutts, In my line of work I'm often in the same situation, I find sometimes it's good to take a break and refresh, then go back at it. All you've done so far is just Amazing! And I'm happy to be using it just where it's at now, and it's 100% better then stock, so cut your self some slack, take a break and hopefully come back at it all refreshed!

Thanks again to anyone and everyone that's in any way helped the progress of ML for the 500d

« Reply #642 on: 11 / April / 2011, 23:51:15 »
If there only was some way to have a straightforward process to educate people enough to be able to contribute, then you could delegate different portions to people to chomp through.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #643 on: 12 / April / 2011, 00:03:38 »
download the source code, use mercurial (download it).

http://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d

when you have mercurial installed, cd to that directory and run (ignore
Code: [Select]
[url] part, it wasn't supposed to be there).
hg clone [url]https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d[/url]Then you will have the source downloaded to your computer.

Install the ARM-toolchain, it's hard to get going but chuchin posted a working setup for compiling under windows, that's how I compile.

http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/53a24c0dad76db3b

Now once that is all setup, edit your make file to match your file paths. the make file on the bitbucket repository now is mine, i am using cygwin + yagarto on windows, so that will contain the right paths for you.

now start going through the code and start analyzing how it works and calls functions. you can download the latest 550d source to help port features like I'm doing, just run
hg clone -r 550d [url]https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern[/url]
everything is written in C, so touch up if you don't know it yet (it's not hard to pick up on, i didn't know much previously but i'm starting to see how it all works now).

the code refers to the stubs file - 500d.110-stubs.S, and the constants file (i forget the name, it's const something) for certain things, that's why me finding the stubs values like audio_thresholds was so important.

that's a pretty good startup guide there, should get you off your feet.

just compare gui.c between the 500d and 550d, you'll see right there just how different everything in the 550d is, and how much work we have to do.
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 00:06:06 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Jamez

« Reply #644 on: 12 / April / 2011, 00:16:48 »
Dont give up Coutts, the calvary is just around the corner!

I have been speaking to a few Japanese guys that work for a small company I know... Danon or something, I forget the name ;)
Anyway these guys are part of the team that wrote the fricking thing in the first place.

One of them is a good friend, and he promised me to "finish things up" if needed, the only problem is things are far from "normal" here in Japan... there was yet another big quake this morning, and there have been over 300 in the past month alone!
I also have another programmer friend in the UK who also said the same.
Both are single guys so have time on their hands LOL.

What I`d recommend is have a break... leave it for a few days/week and come back to the easier stuff.
You`ve basically burnt yourself out for now, but Im sure with a little rest you can come back to it.
Maybe Alins can help out a bit too?

« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 00:29:38 by Jamez »
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Offline utnuc

« Reply #645 on: 12 / April / 2011, 00:42:24 »
OK, I'll take a bite.  Installing per your instructions and gonna take a look at the code.  I expect to be looking at code that looks like its straight out of the Matrix, though.  Haven't written C since college. 

Ben

(T1i + Sigma 30 1.4 also  :))

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #646 on: 12 / April / 2011, 00:49:02 »
^ nice. well, i'm in college and i don't know much of it. i learned visual basic when i was younger but only learned to read syntax and stuff for C.

i find after looking at this for so long though i'm picking up on how it all works
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline utnuc

« Reply #647 on: 12 / April / 2011, 01:17:26 »
OK, installed everything correctly (I think).  When I went to edit the paths in the Makefile a lot of the arm binaries were different.  I *think I got them all correct.  What is the command line syntax for compiling ML?

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #648 on: 12 / April / 2011, 02:23:51 »
in the ML working directory,
make clean to ensure the directory is cleared up from previous builds, then run
make and pray it compiles. if it does, it'll spit out an autoexec.bin file that you just load on the camera.

if it doesn't, trace back the compile log and see where the error is. there's gonna be a lot of warnings, but it'll still build.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #649 on: 12 / April / 2011, 02:28:39 »
I have been speaking to a few Japanese guys that work for a small company I know... Danon or something, I forget the name ;)
Anyway these guys are part of the team that wrote the fricking thing in the first place.

hey now...that sounds amazing. Can you ask these guys how the FPS is locked in the firmware?. i mean is there a hardware limit or a software limit?

What I`d recommend is have a break... leave it for a few days/week and come back to the easier stuff.
You`ve basically burnt yourself out for now, but Im sure with a little rest you can come back to it.
Maybe Alins can help out a bit too?

i'm just about to come out of my burnout phase...:)