500d development - page 66 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Jamez

Re: 500d development
« Reply #650 on: 12 / April / 2011, 03:03:59 »
Advertisements
Already asked this a long time ago. Its definately not hardware is what I was informed. As a general rule of thumb the hardware usually supports 30-50% more than the software ever pushes it. I was told its nearly possible to get 5d performance from a 500d if pushed but it wouldnt be stable (pixel limited due to hardware differences of course).

I know coutts is a little disheartened atm but i think this is building momentum with more devs interested all the time.

Cheers
James
PS Another quake here in Japan a few mins ago :(
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 09:45:36 by Jamez »
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

alins

« Reply #651 on: 12 / April / 2011, 10:47:42 »
sorry to hear about the quake Jamez.

i feel bad asking this question considering the situation there: i haven't seen anything in the firmware for 500d about fps so i'm suspecting the whole thing is hiding under a different name. any clue what is that name?.

to put this some other way: do you know if there are controls in the firmware that just need to be tweaked in order to get higher fps, or your friends are just saying that the hardware has the capability for higher FPS only the firmware doesn't fully uses that (which in turn will pretty much mean that we need to write our own code almost from scratch to record movies at higher fps).

alins

« Reply #652 on: 12 / April / 2011, 10:49:54 »
random thought: how great will it be if canon opens the source code for 500d...something like this can create a great revolution in DSLR space.

« Reply #653 on: 12 / April / 2011, 11:07:25 »
random thought: how great will it be if canon opens the source code for 500d...something like this can create a great revolution in DSLR space.

I couldn't agree with you more, It was the same with android phones, now that they can be opened up easily they are a much better consumer product and the sale's backup that statement.. Canon would if they knew what was best for them in the long run..

Offline Jamez

« Reply #654 on: 12 / April / 2011, 11:47:58 »
I think this very project (CHDK) forum we are using now wouldnt exist if Canon werent a little open to these things.

Id bet my last yen that they`d never make it open source, and you have to remember this project is probably close to 10 years old, no one remembers what they did a decade ago. They have moved onto other bigger, and better things.

I have no ideas about the finer details of how things work and cant really ask direct questions as to how things work etc, I wont get answers. (its trade secrets after all, and people could lose their jobs over it). I will try to ply him with beer - if its available, its seriously running short here! and see if I cant get a few suggestions out of him to look at... Im guessing most Canon sw is similar be it 500D, or EOS1 or whatever theyre working on these days.

In terms of fps etc, I think a better approach would be to finalise A1ex`s 550D port, get things stable, then look at breaking it all with something new  ::)
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2011, 11:53:01 by Jamez »
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #655 on: 12 / April / 2011, 12:05:57 »
i found a function in the 500d dump for change fps, let me post it here, combining screenshots now.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #656 on: 12 / April / 2011, 12:23:31 »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #657 on: 12 / April / 2011, 12:27:57 »
i knew you wouldnt give up like that Coutts !

Offline Vel

« Reply #658 on: 12 / April / 2011, 12:31:10 »
I need a change of pants. Love what you've been doing the past couple of weeks Coutts (And those of you coming out of your burnout phases!). I might be holding on to my T1i quite a bit longer than I expected to with new revelations like these. I was just thinking, if it's possible to change the fps is it possible to hack shutter speeds faster than 1/4000?

alins

« Reply #659 on: 12 / April / 2011, 12:36:39 »
I think this very project (CHDK) forum we are using now wouldnt exist if Canon werent a little open to these things.

i agree. i just wish they go one more step and at least let people write in camera apps (kinda like iphone/android apps).

I have no ideas about the finer details of how things work and cant really ask direct questions as to how things work etc, I wont get answers. (its trade secrets after all, and people could lose their jobs over it).

my apologies, i didn't explain my question very well. I didn't mean to imply that you should ask your friend about trade secrets. i was just hoping that we can get some very general direction, something along the lines of : "it's somewhere in the firmware, dig deeper" or "you have to implement your own thing, the firmware can't help you". well, maybe even this kind of directions are too specific..don't know.

In terms of fps etc, I think a better approach would be to finalise A1ex`s 550D port, get things stable, then look at breaking it all with something new  ::)

more people should start hacking on the code then.