« Reply #830 on: 28 / April / 2011, 04:00:24 »
Advertisements
thanks Coutts, your a legend.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #831 on: 28 / April / 2011, 06:37:05 »
thanks to Alex, we now have the abililty to turn off Exp Sim in live view :)

this darkens/lightens the screen to simulate the exposure. this is useful sometimes but when shooting off camera flash where your shutter speed is 1/200th, live view will make the screen almost black - useless to use. not anymore :)

bit bucket is up to date also. all of my latest menu adjustments and now exp sim are now in the repository.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #832 on: 28 / April / 2011, 13:24:09 »
Just signed up on here to say you guys are the best!
Can't wait to try it out once theres a slightly more stable version (mainly for the timelapse stuff, dont want it overheating and burning out!).

Keep up the good work!

« Reply #833 on: 28 / April / 2011, 17:45:01 »
Don't want to ruin the thread by posting something off topic but same as Agour wanted to pay my respect mainly to Coutts and others who contributed helping him for the amazing work! I bet there's hundreds of silent followers like me who are just watching and waiting for the release of the ML because we can't contribute to the thread as we don't know coding...but i believe more of us will come here when it will come to testing :)
p.s. wish one day to see all the functions posted in Wiki wishlist to see on my EOS 500D ;) if that's ever going to be possible...

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #834 on: 28 / April / 2011, 21:47:18 »
Don't want to ruin the thread by posting something off topic but same as Agour wanted to pay my respect mainly to Coutts and others who contributed helping him for the amazing work! I bet there's hundreds of silent followers like me who are just watching and waiting for the release of the ML because we can't contribute to the thread as we don't know coding...but i believe more of us will come here when it will come to testing :)
p.s. wish one day to see all the functions posted in Wiki wishlist to see on my EOS 500D ;) if that's ever going to be possible...
it all lies somewhere in the dump :)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Jamez

« Reply #835 on: 29 / April / 2011, 08:54:51 »
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

« Reply #836 on: 29 / April / 2011, 13:44:41 »
Hey Coutts, is there any links you can send me to, for learning on what your doing, like how to read code and rewrite it to make it do what you want, like what I will need software wise to get going, you this has really got me curious on how u do all this magical stuff??? 8]

« Reply #837 on: 29 / April / 2011, 13:55:34 »
Coutts quick guide to getting started-
download the source code, use mercurial (download it).

http://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d

when you have mercurial installed, cd to that directory and run (ignore
Code: [Select]
[url] part, it wasn't supposed to be there).
hg clone [url]https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d[/url]Then you will have the source downloaded to your computer.

Install the ARM-toolchain, it's hard to get going but chuchin posted a working setup for compiling under windows, that's how I compile.

http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/53a24c0dad76db3b

Now once that is all setup, edit your make file to match your file paths. the make file on the bitbucket repository now is mine, i am using cygwin + yagarto on windows, so that will contain the right paths for you.

now start going through the code and start analyzing how it works and calls functions. you can download the latest 550d source to help port features like I'm doing, just run
hg clone -r 550d [url]https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern[/url]
everything is written in C, so touch up if you don't know it yet (it's not hard to pick up on, i didn't know much previously but i'm starting to see how it all works now).

the code refers to the stubs file - 500d.110-stubs.S, and the constants file (i forget the name, it's const something) for certain things, that's why me finding the stubs values like audio_thresholds was so important.

that's a pretty good startup guide there, should get you off your feet.

just compare gui.c between the 500d and 550d, you'll see right there just how different everything in the 550d is, and how much work we have to do.

Hope that helps :) If anything is different now with the process Coutts will tell.
« Last Edit: 29 / April / 2011, 13:57:14 by pat_loonytoon »

« Reply #838 on: 29 / April / 2011, 13:59:53 »
Awsome, Thankyou

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #839 on: 29 / April / 2011, 17:31:05 »
That guide should get anyone up and going. But, anyone can figure it out, it just depends how dedicated/willing they are to figure it out ;) look how long it took me.. i had tried months before and couldn't figure it out. just have to stay at it.

i'm slowly learning more and more about how ML works, after looking at the code so long I've began to memorize what files certain tasks happen in, where functions are declared, etc. things make a lot more sense once you learn the whole program flow.

but i still don't know a lot about C, specifically with all of the vram / yuv422 stuff (silent pics, focus peaking, zoom overlays, etc in zebra.c), there's a lot of use of structs and pointers, and I don't yet understand those.. so i'm gonna have to do some reading.

it's all just a big learning experience to me :) the best feeling is when it clicks and you figure something out. i don't even know how many hours I've put into it at this point, hundreds? a lot, that's all I know :P
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr