500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #1450 on: 21 / June / 2011, 20:52:18 »
Advertisements
ah yes, that's bmp_hexdump :) look in zebra.c, i think it's in there (or debug.c). I was bmp_hexdump'ing mvr_config while trying to fix some of the bitrate.c stuff. That's going to need looked at, the struct in there must be fixed to match the 500d's struct (which is drastically different because of the lack of frame rates and resolution modes).

It probably looked something like this :P

Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1451 on: 22 / June / 2011, 12:47:50 »
u suck i waited months and now i bought a 550d :)

« Reply #1452 on: 22 / June / 2011, 14:55:54 »
u suck i waited months and now i bought a 550d :)

good for you then... just go back to your own isolation cell

« Reply #1453 on: 22 / June / 2011, 15:13:57 »
yay ! looks like the project isnt dead !

« Reply #1454 on: 22 / June / 2011, 17:10:22 »
Jamez, could you make a bitbucket account and share your changes wrt cleaning the warnings. They are driving me mad and they really obscure *important* warnings and errors.

I don't feel like cleaning that out myself if you've already done it ;-).

Send a pull request to alins' or my repo if you have the code online.
Alternatively, you could just put a patch on some pastesite somewhere so we can apply it that way if you don't feel like creating a bitbucket account/repo (I'm not that familiar with hg, but it should be easy to make a patch).

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1455 on: 23 / June / 2011, 02:12:27 »
for windows use tortoisehg and mac use Mac hg :)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1456 on: 24 / June / 2011, 06:19:28 »
Jamez, could you make a bitbucket account and share your changes wrt cleaning the warnings. They are driving me mad and they really obscure *important* warnings and errors.

I don't feel like cleaning that out myself if you've already done it ;-).

Send a pull request to alins' or my repo if you have the code online.
Alternatively, you could just put a patch on some pastesite somewhere so we can apply it that way if you don't feel like creating a bitbucket account/repo (I'm not that familiar with hg, but it should be easy to make a patch).

Hi,
I just removed the (most of) compiler warnings. Please see https://bitbucket.org/adijiwa/magic-lantern-for-500d if you're interested. I didn't mean to take over James' work. Borrowing your words, 'they are driving me mad', too. :)

If you don't mind, please check if there is any regressions in my commit.

Offline Jamez

« Reply #1457 on: 24 / June / 2011, 06:26:13 »
Its no problem well done, Alex has basically done it all already and I just used it for our 500D.
I have had to buy another laptop recently after my microwave fell on top of my last laptop in a bigish quake here killing both in the process :(
(Thats laptop number 3 im on since March 11th).

Ive almost got all the software and everything set back up.
On laptop 2 I could pull from alins repository but not push for whatever reason, I hope laptop number 3 has more luck :)
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

« Reply #1458 on: 27 / June / 2011, 17:27:21 »
I've fixed a bug that caused the remote audio triggering to go off on the sound of the shutter when using the camera self timer. I'm not sure if I had to fix it in the audio trigger code, or to make remote_shot() do the appropriate waiting so it's "fixed" for all code (still haven't looked at the code deeply enough to know everything that depends on remote_shot()).

Change here: https://bitbucket.org/roaldfre/magic-lantern-for-500d/changeset/f1fd1bbb3d91
This probably needs to be pushed to the 550D branch as well.

There is also another bug, I think -- patched here: https://bitbucket.org/roaldfre/magic-lantern-for-500d/changeset/28208abed6d1
Did not have any cases where it went wrong, but the flow of the code seemed odd to me (first draw the default icon, then call display() so it can override if necessary).
Probably needs to be in 550D as well.

Lastly, I've noticed that we have drifted quite a bit from the 550D branch code. I would recommend trying to get in sync with them again.
However, the code at both ends needs some refactoring to maintain workable between the different branches. For example, zebra.c is *full* of 'magic numbers'. All literal constants (eg adresses, resolutions, ...) should belong in a separate header file as defined named constants. The only literals you should potentially use are 0, 1, 255, 256, etc (and even then you should be careful).
This would allow the 550D and 500D branch to use pretty much the exact same code, but with the appropriate header files differing in their values.

Also, zebra.c (and others) seem to be full of logic spread here and there, with monolithic functions that are hundreds of lines long. This could use some refactoring into separate functions, trying to separate logical decision structure from the raw data manipulations etc and giving more overview (and documentation) and maintainability.

(Just my 2c)

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1459 on: 27 / June / 2011, 19:25:43 »
I've got things back up to date with the latest 550d commit, and I put the fake_simple_button() implementation from the 60d in so that works now.

https://bitbucket.org/coutts/magic-lantern-500d/overview
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr