500d development

• 2487 Replies
Re: 500d development
« Reply #2150 on: 18 / December / 2011, 12:52:08 »
Advertisements
uploading a test video now.

Magic Lantern 500d/T1i | FPS Control Testing
read video description for details.

note: as the exposure gets brighter the framerate is getting lower (becuase it modifies shutter speed to 1/fps for some reason). take note of how fast my hand moves at the slow shutter speed (it was around 10fps i think), that's not right because it's encoded at 30fps still.

so even if we shoot 24fps, it will be encoded at 30 and be sped up. we need to figure out how to actually encode video at different framerates now.

So, If we shoot at 24fps and the camera encodes a retimed 30fps version? Does it means we can just retime it back to 24fps in post and it will be in real time?

I can live with that for now.

« Reply #2151 on: 18 / December / 2011, 14:48:21 »

note: as the exposure gets brighter the framerate is getting lower (becuase it modifies shutter speed to 1/fps for some reason). take note of how fast my hand moves at the slow shutter speed (it was around 10fps i think), that's not right because it's encoded at 30fps still.

so even if we shoot 24fps, it will be encoded at 30 and be sped up. we need to figure out how to actually encode video at different framerates now.

So, If we shoot at 24fps and the camera encodes a retimed 30fps version? Does it means we can just retime it back to 24fps in post and it will be in real time?

I can live with that for now.
Yes, you're right.
I just tried it with my 50D and it works fine ;)

« Reply #2152 on: 18 / December / 2011, 14:59:19 »

Didn't you try to have custom FPS before but only managed to change the playback rate... I'm pretty sure it was someone here, or a dream or something. Anyway, if I'm correct couldn't that be used in this case?

EDIT: And you made this video because of it :P Magic Lantern 500d/T1i - 30fps 1080p Testing
« Last Edit: 18 / December / 2011, 15:04:23 by arnarg »
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Canon 18-55 kit lens
Zenitar M2S 2/50mm

Flickr

« Reply #2153 on: 18 / December / 2011, 15:32:01 »
Is the version with FPS control the one that A1ex posted on the Post  #2139? If not then can anyone upload it here?

« Reply #2154 on: 18 / December / 2011, 15:34:41 »
If decoding back to 24fps really works is there a way to do it in Sony Vegas? Should it be as simple as just selecting 24fps as your output and it should look like real 24?

Edit:

tried recording video in 24fps and then in post change it to 24fps as output. The video looks really fast so i'm not getting 24fps. Has anyone managed to convert it to have 24fps look?
« Last Edit: 18 / December / 2011, 15:53:57 by gedas5 »

« Reply #2155 on: 18 / December / 2011, 16:21:01 »
Hey, still a break through for sure to be able to mess with sensor timing like this, very exciting, I tried shooting 2 ways, once at 70/69.956 and brought into vdub to see what I would need to set frame rate at to make it realtime, it seems 70 frames was spot on when set to 30fps in vdub but interesting, when I recorded at 15/14.985 setting, I had to set frame rate to 6.616 to make it real time, so maybe cause of the encoder, its not allowing it work right i dont know, but for now, it seems we can get lower then 30fps in the end, just not higher then 30fps, more testing is needed obviously but those are my findings for now. Still cool to also get the really slow shutter speed, would be awsome for fireworks as well!!!!

so i am guessing the encoder doesnt allow us to record higher then 30fps so any setting above 60 is going to be 30fps and stay that way no matter what, anything lower then 60 will be an actual lower frame rate then 30 if a setting of 15 winds up truly being 6.616.

so if thats how it works a setting of 58 would bring us to 25.47fps and a setting of 57 would be 23.205fps????
« Last Edit: 18 / December / 2011, 16:39:23 by mk11174 »

« Reply #2156 on: 18 / December / 2011, 16:24:43 »
Didn't you try to have custom FPS before but only managed to change the playback rate... I'm pretty sure it was someone here, or a dream or something. Anyway, if I'm correct couldn't that be used in this case?

Coutts was at least able to change the headers so that the video file would play at a higher framerate. This could be merged together with this framerate hack to make it work as desired.

Is the version with FPS control the one that A1ex posted on the Post  #2139? If not then can anyone upload it here?

This is my build (with fixed overlay areas):
Canon EOS 500D, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

« Reply #2157 on: 18 / December / 2011, 16:52:43 »
If 57fps would actually bring us to 24fps the worry is what's going to happen with sound? I'm trying different fps and the sound gets out of sync and only at 68fps I think it is synced normally like at 30fps

« Reply #2158 on: 18 / December / 2011, 17:12:56 »
Ok, just tried it, and thats how its working, I am not even using sound at moment i use external sound so i keep  sound off, I video taped a clock counting down to time it right, I set it to 58 and recorded 1 minute timer count down, then I brought into vdub, I have after effects but in case anyone wants to try that dont have after effects vdub is free, anyways, I brought into vdub changed input fps to the setting of cam, 58/57.9640 then re-encoded just to be sure it was cleanly done, then I brought that clip into vdub and it was now 57.940 of coarse which made it play fast, I then set the input frame rate to 25.47 and it was realtime. This can be done in after effects same way just interpret your clip to 25.47 then bring it into a comp so comp is set to that frae rate as well. So it can be slowed just i guess encoder or live view is limited to 30fps so we cant get faster frame rate for now anyway.

In the end, not sure since the encoder obviously is not encoding to 25.47, is the end result any differ then just simply changing the frame rate on any normal clip recorded? But, it is giving us the abilty to get super slow shutter speeds, so maybe in the end it will be called shutter override lol, unless the encoder on the can can be changed to work with it.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #2159 on: 18 / December / 2011, 17:23:01 »
i'm not sure on re-encoding after the fact, but i did try my method of encoding on camera at a different rate, and it didn't work.

The camera will only accept 2 options, 20 or 30fps for this. and when I try to encode at either, it just buffers out after 10 seconds or so (just like it was doing before). And trying 24, 60, etc fps just makes it crash.

So it's a bitter-sweet victory I guess? Either way I'm losing interest in this by the day as I slowly realize that it's not going to be easy to do what I'd like to see done. I'm really starting to question why canon did a lot of what they did in these cameras, and what's worse nobody realizes it when they just buy a new camera after canon doesn't release updates.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr