500D/T1i/Kiss X3 firmware hack suggestions - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

500D/T1i/Kiss X3 firmware hack suggestions

• 4 Replies
500D/T1i/Kiss X3 firmware hack suggestions
« on: 23 / February / 2010, 17:12:17 »
Advertisements

Re: 500D/T1i/Kiss X3 firmware hack suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 23 / February / 2010, 18:57:57 »
I'm not that experienced in custom firmware but while the digic 4 processor remains intact, there were actually many new hardware changes to the 550D which may lead to possibly different firmware.  Apparently the reason Canon opted for 20 fps 1080p and 30fps 720p is that the sensor itself couldn't handle the bandwidth required for and higher fps, but I don't know for sure.  There is a new sensor in the 550d, and higher resolution (though marginally) lcd screen along with button additions.

I, having a 500d myself am also quite disappointed about this.  Though, this is exactly why I bought a Canon since chdk exists, but I may be leaning towards selling the t1i and buying the t2i.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / February / 2010, 20:54:03 »
Apparently the reason Canon opted for 20 fps 1080p and 30fps 720p is that the sensor itself couldn't handle the bandwidth required for and higher fps, but I don't know for sure.  There is a new sensor in the 550d, and higher resolution (though marginally) lcd screen along with button additions.

Those seem to be the only changes, though. I think one should be extremely sceptical about what Canon claims are the reasons behind it. Obviously, Canon wants people to buy new cameras and not think that they can get them improved, either officially or unofficially. Although even if what they've said is true, I myself would strongly prefer the possibility of a higher refresh rate along with slightly downgraded sample quality. The only reason Canon didn't opt for this solution, in the case of that the limitation they've talked about indeed exists, is because they wanted people to have better reasons to get the future 550D that I'm sure was always in their business plan.

I, having a 500d myself am also quite disappointed about this.  Though, this is exactly why I bought a Canon since chdk exists, but I may be leaning towards selling the t1i and buying the t2i.

Yeah, same here. I was getting worried for a while that Canon would never release any update... that they'd maybe realize that it'd get hacked if they would. Even if there regrettably won't be a hack, though, I can't sell mine.... gotten too many memories with it. :l I just have to hope for a hack I guess.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / March / 2010, 21:17:01 »
Edit: Just one more suggestion, now (edited out the other two... a little mistake of mine, there):

Availability of two progressive scan modes in video recording; one true native (without interlace wrapper) and one with the wrapper.
« Last Edit: 05 / March / 2010, 19:17:01 by Raito »

Offline tcc

« Reply #4 on: 20 / March / 2010, 21:02:06 »
I, having a 500d myself am also quite disappointed about this.  Though, this is exactly why I bought a Canon since chdk exists, but I may be leaning towards selling the t1i and buying the t2i.

posted this in the other related thread:
I'm keen on a firmware update fix for the T1i too, especially for the manual controls in video mode.

I posted a reward for this functionality at http://nextsprocket.com/tasks/manual-controls-during-video-mode-in-canon-t1i-s-firmware.  If you guys want to see this firmware done, feel free to contribute a reward to help motivate a solution.
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2010, 21:04:30 by tcc »