G11 porting - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

G11 porting

• 530 Replies
Re: G11 porting
« Reply #20 on: 26 / December / 2009, 13:58:16 »
Advertisements
i'm glad there is so much back and forth in this discussion. may be helpful for others in the future.

« Reply #21 on: 26 / December / 2009, 15:51:50 »
« Last Edit: 26 / December / 2009, 16:08:26 by kingcang »

« Reply #22 on: 26 / December / 2009, 16:06:13 »
« Last Edit: 26 / December / 2009, 16:08:28 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #23 on: 26 / December / 2009, 16:10:27 »

What do you mean ?

The camera needs to generate a signal, you do that by blinking an led and detecting the light with a phototransistor or photodiode.

Updated the scheme to clarify my thoughts. Meaning: The earphones act as a transmitter of the signals catched by the photodiode, which in turn are "forwarded" as sounds from the earphones to the recording application on the computer. Feel free to correct me on this one.

-kingcang
« Last Edit: 26 / December / 2009, 16:28:09 by kingcang »

« Reply #24 on: 26 / December / 2009, 16:44:40 »
The earphones act as a transmitter of the signals catched by the photodiode

No.

The phototransistor generates a tiny voltage that is fed directly to the sound card microphone input.

Just connect a phototransistor or photodiode to a 3.5mm jack plug.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #25 on: 26 / December / 2009, 17:05:17 »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #26 on: 26 / December / 2009, 20:16:40 »
« Last Edit: 26 / December / 2009, 22:07:36 by kingcang »

« Reply #27 on: 27 / December / 2009, 05:08:38 »
The phototransistor or photodiode is connected to a 3.5mm jack plug, which is connected to what? If the jack plug is supposed to be connected to the computer, how exactly?

Ehhhh ... you plug it in.

You actually use a 3.5mm stereo jack, see here :-
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Firmware_Dumping

The first diagram simply switches the microphone input to ground.
That will work if there is a voltage on that pin of the microphone socket, measure it.

The other two circuits get a source of voltage either from the soundcard or an external battery.
A variable resistor allows you to alter the size of the signal.

Try the simplest circuit first.

Of course, the first thing is to find where the LED's are.

Offline ERR99

« Reply #28 on: 27 / December / 2009, 05:51:38 »
Hello,

i also own an G11 and try to make a firmware dump. But actually i am not able to find the LED adresses.
I installed the GCC/CHDK Stuff and i was able to compile the CHDK CVS code, so development enviroment works. ;)
Then i compiled one of the LED Blinking sourcecodes, which trys the adress range 0xC0220000 .. 0xC0223000, and put the diskboot.bin on an 2GB SDHC Cards (card was previously made bootable with Cardtricks), then i put the write protected SDHC-Card into the G11 and started the camera via push of the PLAY button. The camera does not start, display&led stays dark. Usually this is a good sign, because it looks looks like the camera trys to boot the diskboot.bin, right? I wait 3 Minutes, but none of the LEDs goes on.
I then tried to use the dancingbits tool on the diskboot.bin with option 1..3, but also with the modified diskboot.bin, i cant see any LEDs lightning.

So at this point i simply don't know if the G11 executes my created diskboot.bin, or crashes. Or have i to wait longer until the LEDs shows any lightning? How long "normaly" takes the boot process and how long i have to wait until i know alle LEDs adresses are probeded ( e.g. in the range from 0xC0220000 .. 0xC0223000). Is there a trick to know, that my code is even executed?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #29 on: 27 / December / 2009, 06:36:23 »
So at this point i simply don't know if the G11 executes my created diskboot.bin, or crashes. Or have i to wait longer until the LEDs shows any lightning? How long "normaly" takes the boot process and how long i have to wait until i know alle LEDs adresses are probeded ( e.g. in the range from 0xC0220000 .. 0xC0223000). Is there a trick to know, that my code is even executed?
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I would to take several minutes, but it would be helpful if you link or post the exact blinking code you are using and the steps you are using to compile it. If you have another CHDK compatible camera, try building for that so you can be sure your toolchain is set up correctly.

The camera not starting means that
- the SD card is set correctly to be bootable, camera recognized and tried to run it.

Problems could be
- wrong encoding. You can try the same code as an FI2. To make an FI2, you must start with an unencoded diskboot, and you must use the correct keys and PID for your camera
- something wrong in build process. One easy way to get a correct build process is to modify a CHDK loader. Pick a camera and put your blinker code in loader/<camera>/entry.S or main.c my_restart(). Change the PID, diskboot and FI2 options in platform/camera/makefile/sub/<ver>/makefile.inc
- toolchain not set up correctly.
- something wrong with the code.
Don't forget what the H stands for.