How to Dump Firmware ?

• 78 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: How to Dump Firmware ?
« Reply #40 on: 09 / November / 2008, 17:02:14 »
Advertisements
another idea: power.
in view of the many failed attempts: are the batteries (Li i suppose) still OK after 3 years ?
Canon batt indicator has reputation of being almost useless ...

wim

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #41 on: 09 / November / 2008, 17:10:18 »
Can I ask stupid question: what for to do dump SD430 1.00F if exists official firware update 1.10A?

Official Canon firmware updates - CHDK Wiki
[DOWNLOAD LINKS] Firmware dumps available

Hi ewavr, thanks - absolutely no stupid question  :'(

Since Canon very sparely released fw updates for the newer cams i totaly forgot to check whether there's one for this model...

@jak5280
You can now update your cams fw to the 1.10A, for this fw we have already a dump, as i mentioned some posts ago...now a developer is needed to do the port...

*EDIT: Here's the link to the english Canon fw update page: DIGITAL IXUS WIRELESS Firmware Update
« Last Edit: 09 / November / 2008, 17:17:50 by fe50 »

« Reply #42 on: 09 / November / 2008, 19:07:26 »
ewavr and fe50,

Thanks - I updated my firmware, so now I need to find interested developer.  It doesn't appear anyone got very far in the earlier attempt. I might see if I can interest anyone in our computer and electrical engineering department.

Just out of curiosity I tried to dump the updated fw and got the same results as with the original fw.

Sorry to have wasted peoples' time earlier, but I do appreciate the comments and suggestions.

At least I am one tiny step closer.  :)

porkchop

« Reply #43 on: 26 / April / 2009, 10:37:56 »
I've got a Canon IXUS 870 IS (beta firmware is available) while trying to install CHDK on a Sandisk 1GB SD card, all I get is the camera not switching on putting me into a situation where the only solution is removing the batteries and restarting.

I've tried with the lock tab up and down on the physical card, nothing works, absolutely nothing, and it turns quite frustrating as I would love to get this software running on it.

Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

« Reply #44 on: 11 / August / 2009, 02:45:09 »
Run own code on a Cam without "Firm Update"-menu entry:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=25202367

Find the address of the LEDs:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=24988142

You will also need to (partly) modify and compile the dumper-code which needs a ARM-Compiler as well as some (at least basic) c-programming knowledge.

Can someone explain this a little more?
In the udumper folder comes a main.c program but there are no instructions of how to use it.  In the links above says "I tried to cycle through memory locations using the following modified main.c ..." and comes the code, but how can i load this code to run into the powershot? there is no info of that in the tutos, or at least i havent seen anything.
is it nescesary to change first the diskboot.bin or there are a tool that can do it o how is it doing?

« Reply #45 on: 13 / August / 2009, 23:14:19 »
The preblinker.rar file is not online anymore. If someone has it please re-upload it.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #46 on: 14 / August / 2009, 01:50:54 »
The preblinker.rar file is not online anymore. If someone has it please re-upload it.
Which file / from where / where's the old link ?

« Reply #47 on: 15 / August / 2009, 01:47:37 »
Which file / from where / where's the old link ?
The file is marked as one of the requeriments to dumping firmeware in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Firmware_Dumping if the cam dosent have a "Firm update" option.
Actually there are 2 files that are needed, blinker and preblinker, and none of 2 are in active links.
I have a a480 and it hangs, but the empty.dum is still in zeros, so, and I want to try first to find the led addresses.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #48 on: 15 / August / 2009, 06:15:12 »
@siatitel
The blinker files i've used until now (GrAnd's blinker / G7 blinker) are available from the CHDKDev drop
http://drop.io/chdkdev,
i don't have the pre_blinker.rar because i never used it.
In the two blinker archives you should find all you need - with a modified G7 blinker i easily found the SX10 LED addresses; there are some more informations here in the forum (try the search function):
Also remember: the newer Powershots (like SX10) need encrypted files, the latest Powershots (like SX200) seem to accept only the PS.FI2 method...

Good luck !

« Reply #49 on: 16 / August / 2009, 21:49:00 »