More Issue with RAW and noise and colour - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

More Issue with RAW and noise and colour

• 4 Replies
More Issue with RAW and noise and colour
« on: 01 / May / 2008, 16:17:00 »
Advertisements
I've seen some posts on this but none that I have found really seem to answer the problem ..

I have an A640 and recently did a bunch of vacation pics in RAW, they are all underwater images as that is primarily what I use the A640 for and when trying to develop the RAW files I had many issues with getting the colours right and when I did I seemed to have lots of noise issues.

I was to the point that original in camera JPEGs looked better with a little tweaking that the JPEG's developed from the RAW files..

I used Capture 1's latest version for a RAW converter, I also use this with my Digital Rebel with great success, I do have to pick a profile to get it to work with the DNG4PS produced DNG files but is has a generic DNG one that seems to work, but with the above issues...

What are people doing to get good quality JPEG's developed from the DNG4PS DNG files..

Frustrated

Kerry

Re: More Issue with RAW and noise and colour
« Reply #1 on: 01 / May / 2008, 16:51:17 »
please upload the camera-JPEG and its RAW somewhere (both unprocessed, please), so we can check.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / May / 2008, 12:14:13 »

What are people doing to get good quality JPEG's developed from the DNG4PS DNG files..

Hi,

Have you tried Ufraw?  I like it and it has a wavelet noise reduction that has worked well for me.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: 05 / May / 2008, 13:10:26 »
i open the DNG file in Photoshop and use the built in raw editor, its very powerful and you can do some neat things.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #4 on: 05 / May / 2008, 16:48:53 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried Photoshop and it does seem a bit better than Capture 1 for the my work which is all underwater, so because of that some of the white balance adjustments are very large and this seems to be what introduces the noise. I'll give UFRaw a try as well.

my hope was to keep the same workflow above and below the water but perhaps that is not possible.. or Of course i could get my white balance closer from the start :-)

Kerry