Accelerometer in the SD870 (and others?) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Accelerometer in the SD870 (and others?)

• 4 Replies

Offline RyeBrye

• SD-870
Accelerometer in the SD870 (and others?)
« on: 25 / January / 2008, 23:50:03 »
Advertisements
I was pleasantly surprised when I first reviewed photos on my SD870 when I saw that photos I shot with the camera turned vertically were correctly rotated... and even more excited when I saw that if I rotated the camera in playback mode - the image rotated to be correct-side up in the screen (i.e. vertical pictures fill the screen... etc) - ala iphone...

I'm not as familiar with other Canons - so I don't know what generation this feature was added into the camera - but it does indicate that the camera most definitely has some kind of accelerometer in it - perhaps even two.

Are the locations to these pieces known? Some awesome little hacks could be put together using the accelerometer as an input device... for instance - in playback mode just shake the camera a little bit back-and-forth to have it advance to the next photo... or make a game that used the accelerometer as an input... or put a "virtual level" on the thing that would update in real time...

All of this is predicated on the camera actually having a true accelerometer and not just some little switch that gets triggered when it moves sideways.

Anyone know what's in there and how to get to it?

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Re: Accelerometer in the SD870 (and others?)
« Reply #1 on: 26 / January / 2008, 02:29:41 »
CHDK Developer.

Offline RyeBrye

• SD-870
« Reply #2 on: 26 / January / 2008, 03:15:19 »
Well... that's not nearly as cool then :(

You could still use it to make one killer interface for Snake or Tron though :)

« Reply #3 on: 26 / January / 2008, 05:31:26 »
It was a feature of my Ixus 65 for example.

« Reply #4 on: 26 / January / 2008, 10:06:12 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:14:55 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye