release 1.0.0 soon? when? how? discuss. - page 4 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

release 1.0.0 soon? when? how? discuss.

• 36 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: release 1.0.0 soon? when? how? discuss.
« Reply #30 on: 24 / December / 2011, 19:55:54 »
Advertisements
Sorry for being slow about this.

The 'stable' branch is https://tools.assembla.com/svn/chdk/branches/release-1_0, version number is 1.0.0-<svnrev>
The 'unstable' branch will be the current trunk, version number is 1.1.0-<svnrev> for now.

Ground rules:
* Changes in the 1.0 branch should be bug fixes, or new ports. Efforts should be made to keep the 1.0 autobuild fully functional and the functionality, script and PTP APIs should not change significantly. The version should always be 1.0.x. I don't particularly see any reason to have 1.0.1, 1.0.2 etc for bug fixes, but I'm open to suggestions.

* The  trunk should be used for new features, invasive re-writes or experimental stuff. Script, PTP and module APIs may change from version to version in incompatible ways. Anything checked in here should build, and developers should try to keep it usable, but stuff might get broken from time to time. At some point we will have a feature freeze and turn this into the stable release, retiring the previous stable release.

* New ports: The choice of which branch to start with is up to the porter. For people not familiar with CHDK development, starting with stable is probably better. When a port is added, it should be merged into whatever branch it was started from and then backported into the other. If some camera requires major changes outside of the platform area, it should just go in unstable.

* Documentation: We should try to keep documentation for the current stable release as complete as possible. We should also try to document new functionality as we write it. Not sure the best way to do this, but at a minimum try to tag things as  in 1.0 or in 1.1. At the moment, we have a lot of "as of build NNNN", with stable versions we should be able to just refer to the release.

Both will be available from the autobuild server. Will update when this is configured.

:xmas
« Last Edit: 24 / December / 2011, 20:36:50 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #31 on: 24 / December / 2011, 20:37:01 »
The 'stable' branch is https://tools.assembla.com/svn/chdk/branches/release-1_0, version number is 1.0.0-<svnrev>
The 'unstable' branch will be the current trunk, version number is 1.1.0-<svnrev> for now.
I believe that this is a big step - a stable and dev branch.  I'll bet in a couple of years it will be seen as even a bigger step than loadable code via ELF.

* Documentation: We should try to keep documentation for the current stable release as complete as possible. We should also try to document new functionality as we write it. Not sure the best way to do this, but at a minimum try to tag things as  in 1.0 or in 1.1. At the moment, we have a lot of "as of build NNNN", with stable versions we should be able to just refer to the release.
The documentation part worries me and will need work.  I'll keep trying to do my part but remember that this is a project where people still want to use "allbest build" based on reading wiki obsolete pages and probably some judgement call about the meaning behind the name.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #32 on: 24 / December / 2011, 21:09:01 »
The documentation part worries me and will need work.  I'll keep trying to do my part but remember that this is a project where people still want to use "allbest build" based on reading wiki obsolete pages and probably some judgement call about the meaning behind the name.
My personal feeling is that we should delete/rewrite stuff that's really obsolete. The history is still kept in the wiki. All the references to allbest, mx3, grand builds in end user documentation should just go away. End users don't care if some feature was available in some side branch 3 years ago, it just makes things more confusing.

I know there is a desire to keep credit for the early developers, but I don't think keeping references to a of obsolete builds is the way to do it.

I'll try to write up the branch/release strategy on the wiki once this all running.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #33 on: 24 / December / 2011, 21:48:48 »
My personal feeling is that we should delete/rewrite stuff that's really obsolete. The history is still kept in the wiki. All the references to allbest, mx3, grand builds in end user documentation should just go away. End users don't care if some feature was available in some side branch 3 years ago, it just makes things more confusing.

I know there is a desire to keep credit for the early developers, but I don't think keeping references to a of obsolete builds is the way to do it.
I've been slowly adding message boxes to the old pages saying that they are obsolete and pointing people to better pages.  So I'm probably contributing to the general mess as this is not exactly a clean solution.

Simple example : when you search for USB Remote, this is the second link returned : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Shutter_Remote.  While there is a note at the top that I stuck in there,  the links are all dead and the page is three years out of date.  "Nuke it from space" seems to apply to pages like this.

« Reply #34 on: 25 / December / 2011, 06:42:04 »
I was thinking about completely rewrite description of scripts commands - current documentation is obsolete, unclear and makes a lot of confusions. I'll start a kind of fork of 'scripts commands' page on the wiki to give it a new form.

I'll need some help with commands, since I don't understand some of them (e.g. set_tv96, set_tv_direct and whole this staff).

I hope that the stub of the new version will be created today - I have to think about form.

I believe that there's no reason to do separate pages for universal and lua-specific commands, we could just use the form as follows:

command
languages: uBasic, LUA
since changeset  (I'm not sure if it's important

full description and examples.

EDIT:
I have created new page, feel free to add new commands, but only well-described, not in one-two words.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Script_commands_stub

« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2011, 07:05:57 by outslider »
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #35 on: 25 / December / 2011, 11:28:53 »
BTW - what do you think about removing uBASIC from new experimental release? Do we really have  to have two languages? See also: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7319
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #36 on: 25 / December / 2011, 13:46:01 »
BTW - what do you think about removing uBASIC from new experimental release? Do we really have  to have two languages? See also: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7319
I think its a bad idea.