Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.5 - page 2 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.5

• 166 Replies
Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4.1
« Reply #10 on: 18 / August / 2013, 13:55:57 »
Advertisements
It has crashed once, saying something about division by null.
Other times it reported "focus locked past hyperfocal", but worked ok.
There is a "Limitations" section at the bottom of the first post in this thread that talks about MF modes.   Your cam lets you easily setup MF so just leave the Focus at Infinity option disabled if its giving you problems.

I did fix one other initialization thing in the 4.1 release that might correct what caused your crash.  Let me know if you see it again?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #11 on: 19 / August / 2013, 01:41:44 »
That crash happened with "focus at infinity" disabled.

V4.1 needs about 5 secs / frame when shooting raw (I can't make it go any faster).
With v3.4 I could take raw sequence at 3,5 secs / frame.
Is the main loop more complicated now? Is there any way to make it go as fast as v3.4?
« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2013, 12:30:26 by poweredjj »

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4
« Reply #12 on: 26 / August / 2013, 11:05:01 »
I have tried to use this on my powershot sx200is but nothing seems to happen
What does "nothing seems to happen" mean?  Does the script start?  Do you get text console messages in the display area of the screen?    Are you able to make other scripts work on your camera ?

is there any debugging output I could look at
The program spits out lots of messages to the CHDK console area of the screen.

Sorry I have been away for while and was trying to get this working before going !!

The script starts and displays on the screen but never seems to take a picture

other scripts work on the camera quite happily

I see a new version has been released I'll try that hopefully tonight when I get home

Tkgafs

Re: Yet Another Sunset Script (yass) v4
« Reply #13 on: 26 / August / 2013, 14:30:12 »
The script starts and displays on the screen but never seems to take a picture
It would be good to know which messages you see so I can tell where it is hanging up.  Can you copy them down and post here?

In the meantime,  my guess is that your SX200 is not responding well to the scripts attempt to focus at infinity.   See the "Limitations" note at the bottom of the script documention :

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10493.msg103606#msg103606

There are several options listed there for you to try.

« Reply #14 on: 30 / August / 2013, 13:46:32 »
Is the main loop more complicated now? Is there any way to make it go as fast as v3.4?

« Reply #15 on: 30 / August / 2013, 14:24:47 »
Is the main loop more complicated now?
Its somewhat more complicated.  It handles the ND filter properly and does a better job with the exposure calculation.  But Lua is very fast - that should not have changed things much.

Is there any way to make it go as fast as v3.4?
What are you seeing for maximum shot rates with the two scripts?

« Reply #16 on: 01 / September / 2013, 10:38:49 »
V4.1 needs about 5 secs / frame when shooting raw (I can't make it go any faster).

« Reply #17 on: 01 / September / 2013, 10:54:05 »
Any idea how the rate changes if you just shoot jpegs ?

Looking at the code,  there were two changes that will affect the speed. 

First of all, there is a 500mSec delay added after each shoot() command  - put there to let the shot finish before the script logs all its statistics to a file.

Secondly,  the script now checks the exposure immediately before taking the next shot.  With the previous script,  the exposure from the previous shot is used to set the exposure for the next shot.  When I tested this at 15 seconds per shot I found that exposure changes during sunset were occurring too quickly for that to be effective. The extra exposure check could easily add one second to the minimum shooting time.

I removed both of the above "improvements" and bench tested it.  Try the attached hacked script and let me know how it works for you?

« Reply #18 on: 03 / September / 2013, 08:55:52 »
I just tried out the yass v4.1 script, starting before sunrise, and I'm getting some significant flicker. Every few frames it jumps from the (proper) 10 second exposure to a dark 1 second exposure. Looking at the (attached) log the Tv96 jumps from -320 to 0. Any idea why that might be happening.

I'm on a SD870, the time lapse was just of a basil plant in my window as a tryout.

« Reply #19 on: 03 / September / 2013, 09:53:35 »
I just tried out the yass v4.1 script, starting before sunrise, and I'm getting some significant flicker. Every few frames it jumps from the (proper) 10 second exposure to a dark 1 second exposure. Looking at the (attached) log the Tv96 jumps from -320 to 0. Any idea why that might be happening.
I see that in the log -  I'll take a look later today when I have a few minutes and get back to you here.

Update :  its very strange.  Columns E,F,G,H in the spreadsheet show the various exposure values the script sends to the camera.  They are locked solidly at 10 second shutter time, ND filter out, ISO 400 and f2.8.  Yet the shutter speed and ISO values reported back after the exposure is taken jump around when the scene is dark.  They seem to stabilize as the brightness level comes up.   

Off the top of my head, one possibility is that you are trying to take pictures faster than the lowest shutter speed allows - i.e. shot rate faster than 20 seconds/shot (unless you have dark frame subtraction turned off in the Canon menus - that adds another ten seconds per exposure).  I'll have to check whether the shoot() function waits until the shot is completed and stored on the SD card with dark frame subtraction completed too.

What did you set the shot rate parameter to?
« Last Edit: 03 / September / 2013, 10:52:18 by waterwingz »