Powershot SD4000 IS (Canon IXUS 300 HS) RAW - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Powershot SD4000 IS (Canon IXUS 300 HS) RAW

• 4 Replies
Powershot SD4000 IS (Canon IXUS 300 HS) RAW
« on: 26 / May / 2013, 10:28:40 »
Advertisements
I'm currently using CHDK's DNG 1.3-format for RAWs, but it is limited to 10-bit? Someone in this forum wrote that the sensor is 12-bit for this camera? Should I use CHDK RAW to get access to full bit depth? Is it then possible to get those RAWs to Lightroom with 12-bit via some method?

Closest Lightroom lens correction profile I found is for 310HS, but it looks different than JPEG even though it looks better than no correction at all. There is a way to extract default lens correction method from the firmware or someone has the profile for 300HS?

When I open DNGs in Lightroom 4.4, colors look very saturated compared to camera's JPEG colors. There is more color information preserved with RAWs, but still those colors look way overdone. How can I fix this?

RAW has more noise than JPEG because camera doesn't do any noise reduction for RAW. What kind of noise reduction method I should use? There is better ways than Lightroom noise reduction?

Offline reyalp

Re: Powershot SD4000 IS (Canon IXUS 300 HS) RAW
« Reply #1 on: 26 / May / 2013, 16:47:48 »
I'm currently using CHDK's DNG 1.3-format for RAWs, but it is limited to 10-bit? Someone in this forum wrote that the sensor is 12-bit for this camera? Should I use CHDK RAW to get access to full bit depth? Is it then possible to get those RAWs to Lightroom with 12-bit via some method?
No. CHDK DNG is in whatever bit depth the sensor gives us. Converting it to a different format would be far to slow, even if we wanted to...
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 26 / May / 2013, 17:08:06 »
No. CHDK DNG is in whatever bit depth the sensor gives us. Converting it to a different format would be far to slow, even if we wanted to...
However,  according to platform_camera.h,  the sensor bit/pixel for the SD4000 is 12.   RAW and DNG both use the exact same value as the sensor,  so I'm not sure why Fotoni thinks he is getting a 10-bit DNG image?  He should be getting 12 bits.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 27 / May / 2013, 03:30:46 »
I remember reading that CHDK created DNG supports only 10-bit, but that is either old news or I misread something? Never actually thought to check it from DNG filesize. They are 15 MB each (10 Mpixels) so it seems they are indeed 12-bit. That is good :)

« Reply #4 on: 27 / May / 2013, 10:12:29 »
I remember reading that CHDK created DNG supports only 10-bit, but that is either old news or I misread something? Never actually thought to check it from DNG filesize. They are 15 MB each (10 Mpixels) so it seems they are indeed 12-bit. That is good :)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16