issues with open and fopen while recording video - page 6 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

issues with open and fopen while recording video

• 69 Replies
Re: issues with open and fopen while recording video
« Reply #50 on: 02 / December / 2014, 14:44:09 »
Advertisements
Here's a test script. However, I don't have any of the misbehaving cameras, so I don't know if it actually works...

FWIW my test on 2 ixus in signature.
Randomly the ixus115 passed the mode and rec test, but displayed ":25: open log failed" and no vidtest.log was written.
The ixus125 passed always the mode and rec test, but displayed "10 failed check log" (vidtest.log was written).

Offline reyalp

« Reply #51 on: 02 / December / 2014, 21:56:04 »
Randomly the ixus115 passed the mode and rec test, but displayed ":25: open log failed" and no vidtest.log was written.
Seems like the time when movie_status changes and when the semaphore is released may not be the same :(
The ixus125 passed always the mode and rec test, but displayed "10 failed check log" (vidtest.log was written).
This camera should have had CAM_HAS_MOVIE_DIGEST_MODE set, but didn't. The test should pass in trunk autobuild 3768 or later. This also verifies the script catches this case :)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #52 on: 02 / December / 2014, 21:58:51 »
Ok, the crash was my bad. I had activated the sd override for other tests. That explains the focus controller assert. Without the override the camera does not crash.
That makes more sense.
'press ("shoot_full")' always makes a photo, also in video mode. That is the problem with the auto option. I think, the logic for the auto detection isn't quite right. A better solution might be:
Code: [Select]
-- line 87:
if capmode.valid('VIDEO_STD') and get_video_button() == 0 then
You're right, I assumed if there was a specific movie mode, the shutter would start recording. I'll post an updated script in a bit.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #53 on: 02 / December / 2014, 22:50:31 »
Updated test script. Changes
- auto logic uses video button if present, as suggested by msl
- if video button is used, switch to P mode before starting video, so the camera isn't in left in a weird scene mode by the mode test.
- if log open fails, retry opening for up to 2 seconds.

I'd be interested to see if a retest on ixus115 still has log problems.

« Reply #54 on: 03 / December / 2014, 17:58:18 »
Updated test script. Changes
- auto logic uses video button if present, as suggested by msl
- if video button is used, switch to P mode before starting video, so the camera isn't in left in a weird scene mode by the mode test.
- if log open fails, retry opening for up to 2 seconds.

I'd be interested to see if a retest on ixus115 still has log problems.
release 3771 - your last script
The ixus115 and the ixus125 passed almost 6-7 tests with no log problems.
Both cameras sometimes displayed "1 failed check log" (vidtest.log was written) when focusing on difficult subjects (dark / low contrast scenes) - (the log reported: "WARNING: video record start timeout")
« Last Edit: 03 / December / 2014, 18:13:52 by fabri22 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #55 on: 03 / December / 2014, 22:46:33 »
release 3771 - your last script
The ixus115 and the ixus125 passed almost 6-7 tests with no log problems.
Both cameras sometimes displayed "1 failed check log" (vidtest.log was written) when focusing on difficult subjects (dark / low contrast scenes) - (the log reported: "WARNING: video record start timeout")
Thanks. That makes sense, the script just assumes video will start in 2 seconds, so if the camera has to much trouble focusing it can time out. For anyone else testing, I'd suggest using scene the camera can focus on.

The ixus115 log shows
log open try 0 fail
log open try 1 ok
confirming that the there is some (>100ms) time lag between the movie_status change and the semaphore actually being available. This is a bit unfortunate, but I don't think it invalidates the fix.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #56 on: 06 / December / 2014, 02:27:25 »
The script is now included in the trunk SCRIPTS/TEST directory. Getting more cameras tested would be helpful.

« Reply #57 on: 06 / December / 2014, 11:33:55 »
The script is now included in the trunk SCRIPTS/TEST directory. Getting more cameras tested would be helpful.
Log file for the A1200 attached.  Not really sure what I'm looking for so I thought I'd check in before running on my other cameras.

Started the script with the camera in "P" mode.

The screen message says "1 FAILED check log" and the camera remains recording after the script exits.  I tried increasing the "mode change delay" to 1250 - no difference.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #58 on: 06 / December / 2014, 12:27:21 »
A few more tests.  The G10, A560 and ixus120_sd940 appear to run without failures. 

The S100 reported a 9 problems.  The powershot N failed to even enter video mode - taking standard photographs instead.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #59 on: 06 / December / 2014, 19:31:10 »
The screen message says "1 FAILED check log" and the camera remains recording after the script exits.  I tried increasing the "mode change delay" to 1250 - no difference.
Thanks.

Code: [Select]
set            VIDEO_STD: ERROR: video_recording set for mode 9
is_video=true recording=true move_status=6
Shows that this camera sets movie_status 6 while in video mode (and oops, i misspelled movie in the log :[), but not recording, so it should have
#define CAM_HAS_MOVIE_DIGEST_MODE       1
even though it doesn't actually have movie digest. We should probably rename this define...

This is the main thing the script is looking for.

S100 is similar, except is actually has movie digest.

Powershot N appears to have movie modes (VIDEO_STD and VIDEO_SPEED), and needs CAM_HAS_MOVIE_DIGEST_MODE since movie_status is 6 in these modes.

The script tried to use shoot_full to start the video. Since it took stills, I assume the camera has a different way of starting recording, but I guess it doesn't have a physical video button, so CAM_HAS_VIDEO_BUTTON is not defined. Can video recording be started with script at all on this cam?