SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SD940 (IXUS120) porting thread

• 542 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: SD940 rev 103c porting thread (IXUS120)
« Reply #20 on: 28 / November / 2010, 10:30:20 »
Advertisements
@waterwingz

Most stuff that appears cryptic to me has tooltips - but suggestions are aways welcome here

cheers,

wim

« Reply #21 on: 08 / December / 2010, 10:39:09 »
hi you all..

i just purchased an ixus 120 is and my fw version is103b..

is there a chance to upgrade to 103c? how? it's 2 days i'm searching online, with no result..

can anybody help?

thanks,

tommaso

« Reply #22 on: 08 / December / 2010, 15:06:44 »
is there a chance to upgrade to 103c? how? it's 2 days i'm searching online, with no result..

General consensus on this forum is that changing firmware versions is almost impossible and certainly not something that Canon supports.   Your best option is to either port CHDK from the same camera with at different firmware version or hope that somebody else does so.

I'm still struggling through getting a 103c version running.  Someday, when that's done,  I hope to be able to help people with other firmware versions of the SD940.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline waldo

« Reply #23 on: 08 / December / 2010, 15:19:34 »
I'm still struggling through getting a 103c version running.  Someday, when that's done,  I hope to be able to help people with other firmware versions of the SD940.

I know you do not feel comfortable letting other people look at your code, but keep in mind that my offer to port your code to different firmware versions still stands but I would need to see what you have done.  Also keep in mind that I sent you the stubs_entry stuff for 1.02C as you requested with the understanding that it would be a trade for what you have and so far I've seen nothing from you.  After all, it was you that posted this:

It sure would be nice to have someone else to work on this with me.

« Reply #24 on: 08 / December / 2010, 16:01:57 »
I know you do not feel comfortable letting other people look at your code, but keep in mind that my offer to port your code to different firmware versions still stands but I would need to see what you have done.

Waldo :   Sorry, sorry, sorry - I'll send you what I have ASAP. Finding time to do this is hard so I'm slow.  Just didn't want to waste your time with something that doesn't really run and every day I make a little bit of progress.

Having said that - I've been working with your files and I think - maybe - I found yesterday why you could not keep yours running in picture taking mode.  Still haven't figured out how to fix it - was going to work on that tonight.   

But you (or anyone else) are more than welcome to have my meagre efforts so far.  Maybe I'll just post on my zShare site with a suitable warning?

« Reply #25 on: 09 / December / 2010, 06:16:22 »
ok, i'll patiently wait, then..

anyway if you have any need for beta or alfa testing as soon as you begin the porting, i'm here!!!

i wish i was a programmer, but this stuff is beyond my knowledge ..

Offline waldo

« Reply #26 on: 11 / December / 2010, 21:50:52 »
I spent some time trying out the SD940 on my 1.02C camera

I started with the port that waterwingz had done.  I didn't understand the CHDK version used (version "2000", no "<ALT>" indicator) so I changed to base it from release 1001.  Initially I got similar results as before (crashing on Record mode).  

I determined that playrec_mode variable was correct.  I also found that the camera was crashing when trying to run histogram_process() when in record mode.  The problem was in vid_get_viewport_live_fb.  Changing this function to return a null pointer allowed it to run without crashing.  I'm not sure how to find the correct addresses for this but returning 0 works for now.

I'm seeing some random vertical shifts of about 20 lines so that the OSD overlay is sometimes too low / sometimes OK.  Not sure what's going on there.

Using the Display key to toggle Alt mode is a little strange.  Some features, like the memory browser don't work due to not being able to press Display in Alt mode.  I'm not sure how the configurable alt button feature is supposed to work.  On the SD940 there is no print button so you can't press the default Alt button (Print) to get to the Alt menu to change the Alt button !

I also got the .fir version to work.  Just remove the comment from the OPT_FI2=1 line and add the correct fir.inc file and it builds it correctly.
« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2010, 21:54:55 by waldo »

« Reply #27 on: 11 / December / 2010, 22:12:22 »
Excellent !!  I spend the day checking all addresses against the SD90 port. I'll still need to look and see if anything changed from the Alpha 2 release.

I didn't understand the CHDK version used (version "2000", no "<ALT>" indicator) so I changed to base it from release 1001.
I did mention the code was a little rough - using version 2000 allowed me to ignore updates to the trunk revisions and work on a stable release back when I didn't understand how things worked.

I determined that playrec_mode variable was correct.  I also found that the camera was crashing when trying to run histogram_process() when in record mode.  The problem was in vid_get_viewport_live_fb.  Changing this function to return a null pointer allowed it to run without crashing.  I'm not sure how to find the correct addresses for this but returning 0 works for now.
I found the same thing today.  In fact, I noticed that in the S90 port,  vid_get_viewport_live_fb() simply returns 0. Now we know why.

I'm seeing some random vertical shifts of about 20 lines so that the OSD overlay is sometimes too low / sometimes OK.  Not sure what's going on there.
So far I've commented out things to get the OSD clock to display - I haven't been able to get anything else in OSD to work but that was going to be my next task.

Using the Display key to toggle Alt mode is a little strange.  Some features, like the memory browser don't work due to not being able to press Display in Alt mode.  I'm not sure how the configurable alt button feature is supposed to work.  On the SD940 there is no print button so you can't press the default Alt button (Print) to get to the Alt menu to change the Alt button !
I picked the Display key as the ALT key because as you mentioned the SD940 does not have a Print button.  I didn't realize it would cause problems in ALT mode, never having actually used CHDK on a camera.  Any idea how other cameras handle this ?

I also got the .fir version to work.  Just remove the comment from the OPT_FI2=1 line and add the correct fir.inc file and it builds it correctly.
What do you use the .fir version for ?

« Reply #28 on: 11 / December / 2010, 22:28:58 »
Further to the above,  vid_get_viewport_live_fb() is only used by gui_osd.c hostogram.c and motion_detector.c.

If vid_get_viewport_live_fb() returns NULL or 0, the code seems to substitute vid_get_viewport_fb() and use that instead.

I wonder what breaks because of that?  More mysteries to explore.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #29 on: 11 / December / 2010, 22:38:25 »
Further to the above,  vid_get_viewport_live_fb() is only used by gui_osd.c hostogram.c and motion_detector.c.

If vid_get_viewport_live_fb() returns NULL or 0, the code seems to substitute vid_get_viewport_fb() and use that instead.

I wonder what breaks because of that?  More mysteries to explore.
Nothing breaks, but motion detection and histogram might use older data.
Don't forget what the H stands for.