App that reads CHDK CRW CR2 & DNG formats from many PowerShot cameras - General Chat - CHDK Forum

App that reads CHDK CRW CR2 & DNG formats from many PowerShot cameras

• 3 Replies

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Advertisements
Thought I'd pass along information on an application I tested last night that reads the CHDK CRW, CR2 & DNG from many Canon PowerShot cameras.

Last night I download and tested ReaConverter Pro 6.0 (http://www.reaconverter.com/ ) and was delighted to discover I had finally found a converter that could read all of the RAW formats (CRW, CR2 & DNG) for my Canon SX20 with CHDK. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it has been searching and testing many other apps - all unsuccessfully. Version 6.0 added support for several Canon PowerShot cameras SX20 among others.

The application is able to read CRW, CR2 & DNG, but currently does not output to the DNG format yet. It supports many Canon PowerShot cameras:  http://www.reaconverter.com/raw.html ) I experiment a lot with the settings on my camera and CHDK and occassionally I forget to reset the RAW setting in CHDK to DNG so that I can post-process in my other PC apps which ONLY recognize the CHDK DNG format. Most of the time I can use the JPGs that are saved at the same time, but... Not being able to convert the RAW files to DNG for use in the other apps is VERY frustrating.

I sent their development staff a comment asking if they might consider adding the DNG format as an output format. This would make this converter extremely useful. Hopefully, they will consider this.

A little more from their web site...
A powerful utility for batch conversion of image files using scripts. Some of the things it can already do are: resize, crop, rotate and mirror images; change color resolution, image's brightness, contrast, gamma; modify images using the sharpen, detail, smooth, blur, and contour effects; add transparency watermarks and borders; create transparent GIF files and more.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: App that reads CHDK CRW CR2 & DNG formats from many PowerShot cameras
« Reply #1 on: 19 / January / 2011, 14:26:56 »
hmmm... compare their list with Dave Coffin's for DCRAW, and draw your conclusions
DCRAW supported cams

note that DCRAW is open source,

wim

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #2 on: 19 / January / 2011, 15:44:14 »
...compare their list with Dave Coffin's for DCRAW, and draw your conclusions.
...note that DCRAW is open source.
Good observation!

I meant to test dCraw some time ago, but put on the "back burner" because I noticed it was written for Linux. After reviewing the web site link you provided I see where there are Windows versions other people have provided. I'm going to try as soon as I finish this reply. Thanks @whim for the reminder!

« Reply #3 on: 27 / February / 2012, 17:32:21 »
Your comment on DCRAW lead me to this just released open source update for Windoze.
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Install.html#MS

Charlie