KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 60 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #590 on: 17 / July / 2015, 13:14:16 »
Advertisements
@waterwingz
The complete log is attached to the first note from today.  :)
S110, SX200is,

« Reply #591 on: 23 / July / 2015, 21:08:40 »
Update : I've reluctantly taken the conversation in this thread somewhat off-line (to emails) to resolve how to configure a pixhawk so that it will work with the script and take pictures at shot rates faster than once per second that are sync'd to the UAV's position as it travels over the ground.

I'm happy to report that we have had success and are up to beta release 15 of the script.   I'm working on getting this all documented on the wiki and a final release candidate completeted but if you want to try things as they stand right now and can work with minimal instructions them please PM me here for an interim release.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

power consumption
« Reply #592 on: 24 / July / 2015, 05:19:00 »
Hello

I will be using this script for a HAB launch. I noticed that the battery (760 mAH) dies after 90 minutes of shooting. I have the screen turned off but still the max time I can run the script is 90 minutes. I replaced the battery with a 1000mAH one and I got not more than 100 minutes! Not sure what is the cause of this. Any tips to get the camera to run 3-4 hours?

Thanks

Re: power consumption
« Reply #593 on: 24 / July / 2015, 08:34:50 »
Any tips to get the camera to run 3-4 hours?
Battery life is a function of the power used by the camera in idle plus the power used taking each shot.  Taking a shot actually consumes a lot of power so the only way to really extend battery life in your circumstance is to shoot less frequently.

You can get some idea about the difference this makes in this forum post : Battery Intervalometer

Also be aware that battery performance will drop with temperature so you may see reduced life at high altitude.

« Reply #594 on: 05 / August / 2015, 14:25:52 »
Hello - I am also planning to use this great script on my Powershot A560 for a High Altitude Ballon Project.

The cam contains an ND Filter but I am wondering if this mechanical in/out process will work in -40° to -70° C. cold environment. The easiest solution would be to keep the nd filter permanently out because most of the flight the cam will be in bright areas.

Would the script still calculate the pic shooting correctly if the nd filter is permanently activated?

PS: I asume that the camera mechanic gets frozen anyway, but the electronic is able to shoot pics - a frozen nd filter would probably ruin the complete shooting.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #595 on: 05 / August / 2015, 16:44:05 »
The cam contains an ND Filter but I am wondering if this mechanical in/out process will work in -40° to -70° C. cold environment.
FWIW, these cameras use a mechanical shutter when shooting still images, so if the mechanical parts get frozen, it probably won't work. I don't recall other HAB flights reporting problems with a frozen shutter or ND.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #596 on: 05 / August / 2015, 16:50:28 »

I don't recall other HAB flights reporting problems with a frozen shutter or ND.
FWIW I've noticed that most people enclose the camera in a thick insulated foam box to mitigate the temperature effect.  Of course the box also helps to protect the camera on "landing ".

« Reply #597 on: 06 / August / 2015, 12:47:28 »
Thanks for your reply - yes the cam is coated in foam and a special crafted box  - more Details here
http://netcat.de/nearspace-ballon/ballon-kamera-canon-powershot-a560/.

My concerns about the Freeze problem are based on other resources who say that this will happen. But your script is working perfectly and it looks like it meets all requirements for a HAB flight expecially the brightness and movement issue. Looks like i should give it a try.

« Reply #598 on: 06 / August / 2015, 13:38:54 »
My concerns about the Freeze problem are based on other resources who say that this will happen.
One of the script parameter options is  Allow use of ND filter ?   If you set that to [ No ] then the script will never try to engage it and it should stay out of the light path.  So if it also freezes up, that won't matter.  As long as your Tv Max is set high (1/5000) and your ISO Min is low (80) then you should be okay with that.

« Reply #599 on: 06 / August / 2015, 16:06:26 »
As long as your Tv Max is set high (1/5000) and your ISO Min is low (80) then you should be okay with that.

A560 can handle a max TV of 1/2000 - Iso 80 is possible. Which leads me to my inital question - any impact when i leave the nd filter in permanently to reduce the Chance of getting overestimated pics?