Shopping for the ideal camera for CHDK - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Shopping for the ideal camera for CHDK

• 4 Replies
Shopping for the ideal camera for CHDK
« on: 02 / May / 2016, 20:39:23 »
Advertisements
Hello,

A good friend has used CHDK several years in the past and recommended the Canon brand to me.  I think it is very exciting to see that you can buy a camera where the user interface is customizable this way.  That is why I am leaning towards the Canon brand.

I see a long list of supported cameras in the list, but short of searching each model individually, it's really difficult to separate the modern from the ancient.  After all, I've seen $200 2 megapixel point and shoots on Amazon that are still available, but I'm not particularly keen on paying 2002 prices for a 2002 camera.

I also don't know if support is limited to the very old devices or if modern cameras are compatible.  I'm assuming that Canon has made no policy of participating with this, but I would hope that they do.  But if I was searching for a camera in the $150-$350 range, what do people find that works well and has been seen to be trouble-free in implementing CHDK?

If anybody has any off-forum questions or comments for whatever reason, I made my email visible from my profile.  Just toss the word 'CANON' in the subject line so I spot it.

Re: Shopping for the ideal camera for CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 02 / May / 2016, 20:55:35 »
Look at other forums out there.  This one has the ambiance of a flea market and ...
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12858.msg128175#msg128175]
Hmmm ... too funny.  You really want advice from this forum?   

I also don't know if support is limited to the very old devices or if modern cameras are compatible.  I'm assuming that Canon has made no policy of participating with this, but I would hope that they do.  But if I was searching for a camera in the $150-$350 range, what do people find that works well and has been seen to be trouble-free in implementing CHDK?
Each new camera model released takes time to port.  Sometimes if the changes in the new camera are big enough, it can take a long time for someone to volunteer to do the port.  You might want to take a quick look at this :

link> CHDK FAQ : My camera isn't ported yet

So unfortunately,  there are very few recent cameras still in retail stores with complete versions of CHDK available.   The Canon refurbished store is often a good source of slightly older cameras that are supported by CHDK - and they come with a warrantee.  Stock varies from day to day so it helps to check frequently.

Otherwise, there are almost certainly good deals on quite recent used CHDK cameras on eBay - I have bought several over the years.  It's a little extra work to track down and get the winnning bid though.

One place to look for a "list" is here. Follow the link to the wiki page for each camera (and on to the forum porting page) to see the status of each CHDK supported camera.
« Last Edit: 02 / May / 2016, 21:22:45 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 02 / May / 2016, 21:45:55 »
I see a long list of supported cameras in the list, but short of searching each model individually, it's really difficult to separate the modern from the ancient.
dprevew has an excellent chronological list of all canon cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras

If you browse it a bit, you should be able to see how Canon names the different series and which are more recent. E.g. sx40, sx50 and sx60 are all in the high end super-zoom line, with the higher numbers being more recent.

If you have decided what kind of camera you want (cheap, compact, super zoom etc.) that will narrow down the list a lot.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 11 / January / 2017, 23:48:40 »
I have very little information when it comes to recommending camera, now I'm buying a new camera

« Reply #4 on: 12 / January / 2017, 00:26:48 »
Heard good things of Sony RX series (url removed by moderator. On the off chance you are actually a human, try to post something relevant other users)
« Last Edit: 13 / January / 2017, 00:02:57 by reyalp »