Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 52 Cams || 41 done || 11 to go - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 52 Cams || 41 done || 11 to go

• 258 Replies

Offline koshy

Re: Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 50 Cams || 46 to go
« Reply #20 on: 22 / August / 2014, 13:16:46 »
Advertisements
Probably obvious, but just in case: for continuous mode you should test a burst of several shots, like
rs -jpg -cont=5
Not obvious but timely. I went back and did it again on the 4 cameras we worked on. It worked just fine shooting the series of five, play mode, back to rec mode.

I also got the A640 UI overlay to work which had given me trouble before. Using the Disp button a few times helped. While I had used the UI overlay I had live view off the other night. On A610 and A620 that worked just fine. On A710 and A640 there is a garbled section at the bottom. I'll attach screen caps.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 22 / August / 2014, 23:36:37 »
There are some additional functions required for a "full" implementation of live view, relating to the current UI overlay buffer, the UI palette and the actual buffer dimensions. Cameras without the full implementation have fallbacks that mostly work. There isn't an easy way to get a list of them since it's a collection of somewhat camera specific code that goes into (or overrides) existing functions rather than being controlled by and ifdef.

A few examples of reasonably complete implementations are A540, D10, G12, SX40, elph130. There are more, those are just ones I know off the top of my head.

Additionally, there is a known issue where if you start in playback mode with a video as the current file, it doesn't show up in the live view.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline koshy

« Reply #22 on: 23 / August / 2014, 08:26:44 »
There are some additional functions required for a "full" implementation of live view, relating to the current UI overlay buffer, the UI palette and the actual buffer dimensions. Cameras without the full implementation have fallbacks that mostly work. There isn't an easy way to get a list of them since it's a collection of somewhat camera specific code that goes into (or overrides) existing functions rather than being controlled by and ifdef.
Well, all I need to know at this point is if I should include any additionl test steps for future cams and if screen shots and reports like on the Liveview are useful. If so you'll keep getting them.
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline koshy

Re: Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 50 Cams || 50 to go
« Reply #23 on: 23 / August / 2014, 15:40:39 »
nafraf actually did a file-write patch for the A1200.  I just never got around to testing it.
I suppose either one of you will post the patch here then.
It was actually the ixus120
OK, I tested it. For the test I reverted to using trunk 3042.
CHDKPTP: rec / Remote shoot JPEG single / play / rec => worked
CHDKPTP: rec / rs -jpg -cont=5 / play / rec => crashed
The shooting in continuous mode worked just fine. Going to play mode is where things choked.

EDIT: Tested everything a second time and this time nothing crashed...

EDIT2: Tested it two more times with regular shooting in between, still no crash again.
« Last Edit: 23 / August / 2014, 15:52:49 by koshy »

Offline nafraf

Re: Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 50 Cams || 45 to go
« Reply #24 on: 23 / August / 2014, 15:52:06 »
FWT support patch for s80

Offline koshy

« Reply #25 on: 23 / August / 2014, 16:14:37 »
Another note on the IXUS 100: I couldn't select any modes in CHDKPTP. The mode pull down was empty in rec mode.

EDIT: The above name was a mistake this was about IXUS 120!
This was quoted a few time so those quotes also have the wrong name.
For IXUS 100 check page 8 or beyond of this thread.
« Last Edit: 17 / September / 2014, 08:32:04 by koshy »

Offline koshy

« Reply #26 on: 23 / August / 2014, 16:16:54 »
FWT support patch for s80
Thanks I tried testing it. On the S80 I can connect disconnect CHDKPTP, get live view and UI overlay but cannot switch to REC mode. Pressing the REC button does nothing. The camera was turned on by opening the sliding lens cover and the lens was folded out when I tested this. If the cam were started in play mode the lens obviously couldn't come out without the cover having been slid off.

Offline reyalp

Re: Adding feature support "File Write Task" (FWT): 50 Cams || 50 to go
« Reply #27 on: 23 / August / 2014, 17:05:31 »
EDIT: Tested everything a second time and this time nothing crashed...

EDIT2: Tested it two more times with regular shooting in between, still no crash again.
That crash in spytask (chdk code), so it's not the usual remoteshoot playback mode crash (http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11481.0). Possibly worth more investigation, but figuring out where it happened will require the core/main.bin.dump from that build, and possibly the modules.log.

rebuilding the source with the exact same rev of CHDK and toolchain should be OK to generate the main.bin.dump if you don't have it.

Note if you aren't already, it's a good idea to enable module logging when testing: chdk menu->miscellaneous->modules->enable logging. This records the load addresses of CHDK modules so you can match them up with stack traces.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #28 on: 23 / August / 2014, 17:12:15 »
Well, all I need to know at this point is if I should include any additionl test steps for future cams and if screen shots and reports like on the Liveview are useful. If so you'll keep getting them.
We can tell from the source if the various functions have been implemented, so it's a matter of whether someone wants to spend time adding support for these cameras.

One thing that would be useful is whether the OSD palette looks approximately correct.

Regarding the S80, some mode switching issues have been encountered previously http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10664.msg105133#msg105133

edit:
re "Another note on the IXUS 100: I couldn't select any modes in CHDKPTP. The mode pull down was empty in rec mode."
Are there any messages in the console area?

There are two common causes of this
1) The capmode lua library is missing, probably due to not having a full install on the SD card.
2) The camera has very low free memory, and so cannot load the capmode module.

Both will give you an error about the capmode script, but you can use
=return get_meminfo()
to check the amount of memory available.
« Last Edit: 23 / August / 2014, 17:24:22 by reyalp »

Offline koshy

« Reply #29 on: 23 / August / 2014, 19:03:12 »
One thing that would be useful is whether the OSD palette looks approximately correct.
OK. So far all did. But I had a broken one nafraf fixed on one of our other builds so I know what to look for.
Regarding the S80, some mode switching issues have been encountered previously http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10664.msg105133#msg105133
Thanks.

Code: [Select]
=set_levent_script_mode(1)
=set_levent_active(0x1085,0)
=switch_mode_usb(1)
This takes the S80 into shooting mode when in CHDKPTP. Even if I switch to Play mode after doing that without shooting remotely the connection to the camera is lost. The camera does switch to play mode though.

Edit: S80 battery is empty, got to recharge a bit before testing remote shooting.
« Last Edit: 23 / August / 2014, 19:10:15 by koshy »