Trying to help improve the CHDK ecosystem - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Trying to help improve the CHDK ecosystem

• 1 Replies
Trying to help improve the CHDK ecosystem
« on: 23 / November / 2015, 21:47:44 »
Advertisements
To be more accessible for potential Developers. What other categories in the Release cycle have I missed, put out of sequence, or have not drilled down sufficiently ? The Wiki pages seem to fit into these categories.
*Documentation
    *Overviews
    *Use-Cases
*Buy
    *Cameras
    *Reviews
    *Pricing
    *Features (Specifications, SpreadSheets)
*Firmware
    *Dump
    *CHDK internals
*Port CHDK
    *OSs
    *IDEs
    *Add Features
    *Compile CHDK
    *Test
    *BenchMark
    *Optimize
*Imstall
    *Format Media
    *Firmware
        *Find
        *Compare
        *Install on Media
        *Configure
*Record
    *Script Languages
        *Canon Basic
        *UBASIC
        *Lua
    *Use-Cases
    *Recipes
*Post-Processing
*Export
*Interfacing Hardware

Offline reyalp

Re: Trying to help improve the CHDK ecosystem
« Reply #1 on: 25 / November / 2015, 14:08:33 »
Thanks for your work on the wiki.

I'm not clear what you are proposing to do with the outline above? Are you proposing to re-organize the whole wiki? Or just add wiki categories or ...?

If you are planning a major re-write or re-organization, please post in the forum first and work with other frequent editors.

With that in mind, here are a few comments:

In general, I would say content on the wiki is a bigger problem than organization. Organization is definitely a problem, but no amount of organizing will help when the content is confusing and out of date. Bring the documentation up to date takes a lot of work, because it usually requires careful testing and/or diving into the source to understand what the current behavior actually is.

I would avoid putting pricing on the wiki, it's to variable and region specific to have be of much use to users.

I suggest not referring to CHDK as "firmware". Depending on the context, "software" or "build" is better.

Don't forget what the H stands for.