USB video output - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

USB video output

• 1 Replies
USB video output
« on: 22 / April / 2010, 03:20:07 »
Advertisements
I'm interested in the prospect of sending video (in some format) over the USB cable in most Canon cameras, can this be done at all? I realise the only real support for anything like this lies in PTP, and that's probably not enough for what I want. Basically, being really optimistic I'd like to implement USB video class support so it'd be useable as a standard webcam, but failing that I'd still like to implement some kind of ad-hoc protocol which requires a custom driver on the other side.

My motivation for doing this is mainly robotics, since canon cameras rank a lot higher on the image quality/affordability scale than most webcams or video cameras designed for robotics, and they have the added benefit of being programmable (for doing pre-processing + CV algorithms on the camera itself).

So yeah, is this at all possible, either in VxWorks or DryOS? How much will I have to reverse engineer/hack the firmware to get this to work?

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
Re: USB video output
« Reply #1 on: 22 / April / 2010, 04:19:13 »
Not sure about USB video class support, but some sort of webcam operation is possible. It is developed by ewavr and discussed in Russian language forum. As far as I understand, it is not the true video but only that consisting of liveview frames. It is based on CHDK PTP extensions discussed here.