Is there a way to force a resolution and framerate? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Is there a way to force a resolution and framerate?

• 5 Replies
Is there a way to force a resolution and framerate?
« on: 13 / August / 2023, 07:26:02 »
Advertisements
Hi I have a canon sx40 HX and its great for photos but 1080p at 24 fps is a bit slow... Is there a way to force the camera up to 30 Fps or even at a stretch 60 Fps? If I can't do 1080p60, could I potentially do 720p60?

Hope you can help!  :)

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Re: Is there a way to force a resolution and framerate?
« Reply #1 on: 13 / August / 2023, 09:38:55 »
short answer, no. the 2011 hardware is not up to it.
get a cheap mobile phone. that does 1080p60 and nowadays possibly has a bigger sensor.
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

« Reply #2 on: 11 / September / 2023, 23:52:32 »
Hi I have a canon sx40 HX and its great for photos but 1080p at 24 fps is a bit slow... Is there a way to force the camera up to 30 Fps or even at a stretch 60 Fps? If I can't do 1080p60, could I potentially do 720p60?

Hope you can help!  :)

It is possible probably, with enough pixel binning or using maybe the RAW framebuffer for storing excess data while 1080p 30fps is running, but sadly no one has figured it out yet, and it seems nobody wants to anyway. I personally would love to do it, but the CHDK Documentation is so badly written, that more than half the stuff is from around 2008 and is outdated by now, most of the syntax is changed every which way, nothing is being updated, and you have to pretty much do guess work, and even still you won't figure it out, unless you're some kind of programming genius who can pull bits and pieces of code from thin air and figure it out. Now, I don't want to be rude or anything, but CHDK is amazing. It unlocks a lot of potential from Point and Shoot Canon Cameras, but how it does it, is a real disaster. CHDK is a disaster that works. How exactly it works, I have no clue, but it does. Would I be happy if the documentation was better written and better explained, yes. Unfortunately, currently that's not the case. So I am asking a bunch of questions to gain insight into the commands so I can do some poking around and see what I can play with and maybe discover some hidden settings. I personally am trying my best to put two and two together, and MAYBE I'll figure it out eventually. But as of right now, there is no way to use the SX40HS and film any higher fps than 24 at 1080p.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #3 on: 12 / September / 2023, 02:09:32 »
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14571.msg148523#msg148523

i'm glad you are still optimistic and not hindered by real world physics that you can get a >=160 nm baked cpu with a slow sensor running that fast.

i will hail you as a hero when you show me a working solution.

« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2023, 02:13:09 by Mlapse »

« Reply #4 on: 12 / September / 2023, 10:41:10 »
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=14571.msg148523#msg148523

i'm glad you are still optimistic and not hindered by real world physics that you can get a >=160 nm baked cpu with a slow sensor running that fast.

i will hail you as a hero when you show me a working solution.

I mean, let's face it, Computer CPUs can be overclocked 20% more than their intended clock speed. Who's to say that we can't squeeze 6fps more out of the SX40HS Processor? Not to mention that it has a high speed burst shoot that can grab 5 entire 12MP photos in a very fast amount of time. After that it processes and saves them to the SD Card. If we could basically offload the sensor frames that we film, let's say to the RAW Buffer temporarily, and after we finish recording, it slowly encodes everything to a 30fps HD video, we don't even have to overclock anything. For example, I found out how to make my S3IS CCD use a shutter speed of 1/10000 in video. Anything is possible. It just requires advanced planning and specific "trickery". For example, a game company used the Sega Genesis to "fake" a ton of instruments in the music, by switching between the sound chip and the processor while hopping between the RAM very fast, which made it turn on and off certain channels to make it sound like a ton of instruments. If that was possible on a very weak machine, then so is 1080p 30fps on an SX40HS. How to do it, though, that is the question.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #5 on: 12 / September / 2023, 11:27:13 »
I'm sorry, you are right, it might be possible if you are that skilled.
but chdk is a layer on top, it's not a reprogrammed cpu, like done with the sega or C64 in those good ol' days

alas as far as i can tell nobody former or currently working on/with chdk has the programming skills, knowledge and drive.
you obviously have the drive.
so it's all down to you in solving this and the hero status is yours :) ....and maybe you can improve the documentation while you develop your skills
« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2023, 11:45:35 by Mlapse »