Can I create a larger partition in a 16 GB card? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Can I create a larger partition in a 16 GB card?

• 5 Replies
Can I create a larger partition in a 16 GB card?
« on: 26 / May / 2011, 23:24:27 »
Advertisements
I have had a 16 GB card set up with 2 partitions for awhile.  I used sdminste to set it up, so I got hte standard 2 MB bootable partition withthe rest ofr pictures. 

However, sometimes I don't want the overrides, and it is just easier to take the card out, flip the write protection to off, and use it without CHDK.  Is there a way to create a bootable partition that is, say, 2 GB, that would be readable with the write protection off, and then have the rest of hte card be for storing pictures when using CHDK?  sdminste seems to only allow forthe creation of 2 MB for the one partition.

Offline reyalp

Re: Can I create a larger partition in a 16 GB card?
« Reply #1 on: 26 / May / 2011, 23:42:58 »
Yes, the boot partition just has to be fat16, which means it can be up to 4gb. If sdminst won't do this, you'll have to use other tools. The wiki page http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card has some options.

Alternately, if you are taking the card out to flip the lock any, you could just carry another card that doesn't have CHDK on it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 27 / May / 2011, 02:50:10 »
Are therems to do the same thing as y one on that page seems to do the same thing as sdminste...automatically forcing the first bootable partition to be just 2 MB and every site I stumble on seems to think there is never a reason why you'd want to do it.  But I can think of several reasons.  Not just for what I want, but if you want to use the card for other purposes as well as for your camera.  I honestly can't see any downside to having some space allocated on the first partition.

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 27 / May / 2011, 03:17:08 »
On a Mac, my SDMInst app lets you choose the size of the small partition (via the smallpsize property) - see http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/clickpansdm/sdminst.html
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 31 / May / 2011, 09:33:09 »
Sorry to threadjack, but it's on topic.

zeno: I used SDMInst to get my SX200 IS working.  Nice app!
Does the program know to make the first app Fat16 and Fat32 for the second, to take up the rest of the card? 

Offline zeno

« Reply #5 on: 31 / May / 2011, 18:26:18 »
@gaijinpunch - yes it does. If you edit the sdminst.properties file (by double-clicking) you can set the size of the FAT16 partition to what you want using the smallpsize property - the rest of the card will be FAT32.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit