Looking for M3 and M10 0xFB800000 ROM - page 2 - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Looking for M3 and M10 0xFB800000 ROM

• 12 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Looking for M3 and M10 0xFB800000 ROM
« Reply #10 on: 23 / December / 2022, 18:01:06 »
Advertisements
If that ROM is an unencrypted FPGA bitstream (and from the dumps, it certainly doesn't look encrypted), some reverse engineering might be possible. Not sure what value it would have, and reprogramming it would seem sketchy ;)

One difference from the list of cameras so far seems to be the ones with dual pixel AF have the FPGA. (edit: thanks for the correction Mlapse. The EOS do have dedicated AF points, unlike most P&S)

Disclaimer: I know very little about FPGAs
« Last Edit: 24 / December / 2022, 15:27:31 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #11 on: 24 / December / 2022, 05:25:33 »

One difference from the list of cameras so far seems to be the ones with dual pixel AF have the FPGA.

Disclaimer: I know very little about FPGAs

the m3 doesn't have the dual pixel AF yet, it has the slower Hybrid CMOS III AF

maybe the fpga is used for reprogramming or rewiring different lenses. but without reverse engineering i wouldn't advise to try to change things and see what happens.

i could do the rom dump again with 2 different lenses or without lens to see if that changes anything, if you think that might be interesting.
« Last Edit: 24 / December / 2022, 05:50:34 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 24 / December / 2022, 15:38:00 »
the m3 doesn't have the dual pixel AF yet, it has the slower Hybrid CMOS III AF
Thanks for the correction. They do have phase detect (unlike most/all Canon P&S) but not dual pixel yet.
maybe the fpga is used for reprogramming or rewiring different lenses. but without reverse engineering i wouldn't advise to try to change things and see what happens.

i could do the rom dump again with 2 different lenses or without lens to see if that changes anything, if you think that might be interesting.
I very much doubt it works like this. I would expect the FPGA programming to be fixed for a given firmware version (my understanding is this extra ROM has a chunk in the firmware update file) and I don't really see how lenses would need something like this. The EF lens protocol is quite old and simple. IMO, it must be used for some heavy duty processing that would otherwise be difficult to do on the main CPU or normal digic image processing hardware. To me, that suggests AF or other face tracking / scene analysis features that don't exist on the cams without it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.