Using chdkptp to upload files - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Using chdkptp to upload files

• 7 Replies
Using chdkptp to upload files
« on: 07 / August / 2013, 08:41:40 »
Advertisements
I would buy one for one single purpose... if it would work.. to upload scripts to the card while it's still in the camera!!!  it becomes quite tedious to remove the card, turn off write protect,  put it in a card reader.. copy the file, remove from card reader, turn on write protect, put in camera... etc..  you all know what I mean.   I made a few attempts to get lua development tools to work on my pc, and those all failed.. I just can't even get it to run.. granted I didn't spend a lot of time on it..  but it seems this would be an IDEAL way to tests scripts.. simply upload them to the 2 way wi-fi card and reboot the camera!    $50 is a little much to spend on something that may or may not work, so I would really like to know if anyone has got chdk booting from one of these cards
I can't even begin to contemplate working on a complicated CHDK script (and I've worked on a few of them) without  PTP download to the camera.  I use chdkptp and effortlessly download each new edit using a short command line batch file.  Getting that working is likely to be whole lot easier than figuring out the FlashAir thing - although that's a worthwhile project in itself.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Re: Toshiba FlashAir WIFI SD card
« Reply #1 on: 07 / August / 2013, 15:29:44 »
That sounds like a much better way to do it.  I've downloaded chdkptp and also installed the camera driver, but I can't seem to get the gui to work correctly... I can get it to show the files on the camera, and I can select one and download it, but I can't figure out how to upload to the camera.   Also none of the buttons seem to do anything except shutdown, which does work.

You mentioned a batch file to upload, could you possibly give an example of how an upload would be done with a batch file.  I've been trying to figure that out and I'm just lost.

Offline reyalp

Re: Re: Toshiba FlashAir WIFI SD card
« Reply #2 on: 07 / August / 2013, 15:56:34 »
That sounds like a much better way to do it.  I've downloaded chdkptp and also installed the camera driver, but I can't seem to get the gui to work correctly... I can get it to show the files on the camera, and I can select one and download it, but I can't figure out how to upload to the camera.   Also none of the buttons seem to do anything except shutdown, which does work.
The button on the right side send the equivalent buttons presses to the canon firmware. Normally, when PTP is connected, the canon firmware does not respond to button presses. If you switch to "record", the buttons should generally work on most cameras. You can also unlock keys on some cameras using the following command:
=post_levent_to_ui(4484)

Depending on your OS and configuration, the camera may get put in a state where none of this works. See discussion around http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6231.msg100671#msg100671 for details.

You mentioned a batch file to upload, could you possibly give an example of how an upload would be done with a batch file.  I've been trying to figure that out and I'm just lost.
Right click on the directory you want to upload to in the chdkptp file tree, click "upload files", select the files you want. Or if you want to upload the contents of an entire directory, click "upload directory contents"

If either of these doesn't work, please provide more details.

Note that the chdkptp gui is fairly undeveloped. The primary interface is "CLI commands" which are available in the text box at the bottom of the screen. "help" will give you a list of available commands, and "help <command>" will give you details.  Switching to the console tab will allow you to see the output more easily.

CLI commands are also described in http://trac.assembla.com/chdkptp/browser/trunk/USAGE.TXT

I'll split this into another thread since it really doesn't have anything to do with the original post.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: Using chdkptp to upload files
« Reply #3 on: 07 / August / 2013, 16:55:12 »
Thanks for the help with how to upload.  I got upload and download working and this is making my tinkering SO much easier!!    I still can't get all the buttons to work on my canon S5is, but some work.. I did get shoot and half shoot and rec and play to work and I get "Warning: camera live view protocol  not supported by this client, live view disabled"    also buttons like up and down make the screen flash *** finished *** but nothing seems to move..    however I'm not too worried about all that because I can upload to it now!!!  Such a big improvement!!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 07 / August / 2013, 22:29:17 »
Thanks for the help with how to upload.  I got upload and download working and this is making my tinkering SO much easier!!    I still can't get all the buttons to work on my canon S5is, but some work.. I did get shoot and half shoot and rec and play to work and I get "Warning: camera live view protocol  not supported by this client, live view disabled"
Sounds like your chdkptp or chdk is out of date. In the top of the GUI it should say something like host 2.5 cam 2.5 when you are connected. Those are the protocol versions. Both should be 2.5 if everything is up to date.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 08 / August / 2013, 06:23:58 »
Yes you are correct, my versions do not match, I have host 2.5 cam 2.0.   I'll update chdk on my camera

« Reply #6 on: 08 / August / 2013, 09:46:38 »
I tried to update chdk on my camera.. it doesn't seem to be working correctly, see

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10518.msg103790#msg103790

and this does not seem to work either.. it reports host:2.5 cam:2.5 now, but it comes up with error:syntax right away, and every button I push just puts up another error:syntax    I don't know whats going on here.

« Reply #7 on: 08 / August / 2013, 13:10:44 »
I got CHDK working properly, it turned out I had a bad SD card... now that it's working, this is working as well, Live view is working and the buttons all seem to work.