Multicam synch with different cameras via PTP - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Multicam synch with different cameras via PTP

• 23 Replies

Offline Jaki

Multicam synch with different cameras via PTP
« on: 16 / March / 2019, 19:47:19 »
Advertisements
Hi!
For now I desperate try to trigger IXUS 105 and PowerShot SX40 HS simultaneously via CHDK PTP.
The PTP recognize the two cameras as you can see it on the picture. But....I can controle them one at the time only.
Not both together.I can only switch between them. I tried to connect tha cameras and star the PTP in a different order combinations.
Nothing helped.
After that, I wanna build a multycamera rig.
And yes...I`m not a programmer.

If somebody could help me......pleas.
Jani

Offline reyalp

Re: Multicam synch with different cameras via PTP
« Reply #1 on: 16 / March / 2019, 20:23:03 »
Hi!
For now I desperate try to trigger IXUS 105 and PowerShot SX40 HS simultaneously via CHDK PTP.
The PTP recognize the two cameras as you can see it on the picture. But....I can controle them one at the time only.
Not both together.I can only switch between them. I tried to connect tha cameras and star the PTP in a different order combinations.
See https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Multiple_Cameras_using_CHDK

If you don't need very precise sync (better than several tens of milliseconds or so), you can use multicam.lua (included with chdkptp) https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/subversion/source/HEAD/trunk/lua/multicam.lua
Very basic usage is given at the top of the file.

If you do need precise sync, then you'll need to use one of the hardware options for trigger. You may still want to use multicam for control.
After that, I wanna build a multycamera rig.
And yes...I`m not a programmer.
You don't have to a programmer, but building a multicam rig is a fairly complicated, technical project. Several people here will be happy to give you advice, but you should expect to put in significant time and effort to learn, we can't just tell you how to do it. You may find you are a programmer at the end of the project ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Jaki

« Reply #2 on: 17 / March / 2019, 06:46:17 »
Hi.  :)
Hehe...
I already recognized, building a mult-icam rig is very complicated. I`m working on it for  along  time...alone. ...because I`m not a forum guy. Now I understand I`ll have to become one.....and a programmer :D
I`m already happy someone responded on my question.
Well..... I`ll try it with the hardware option. USB remote trigger and after that downloading the pictures with PTP.... Hmm..I even couldn`t paste the multicam lua script in to the command line  and execute it. Don`t know why...It`s pasting only one row at a time.... Now you can see how much i have in common with programing... :lol
We`ll see.
Ones more.... Thank you for your respond. I appreciate :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 17 / March / 2019, 15:42:47 »
USB remote trigger and after that downloading the pictures with PTP.... Hmm..I even couldn`t paste the multicam lua script in to the command line  and execute it. Don`t know why...It`s pasting only one row at a time.... Now you can see how much i have in common with programing... :lol
We`ll see.
Unfortunately, the chdkptp GUI only takes one line at a time.

I recommend using the chdkptp command line interface for multicam, although some people have used it successfully with the GUI.

To use the command line, open command prompt, cd to the directory where you put chdkptp, and run
Code: [Select]
chdkptp -i
You could also create a shortcut with -i.

Alternately, you can put multiple commands on one line to paste, like
!mc=require('multicam') mc:connect() mc:start()
Note there is only one ! at the start. This tells chdkptp that everything that follows is Lua code to execute locally. See https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/CLI_Quickstart and https://app.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/Scripting_Guide for additional information.

You can also put commands in file and then run it with
!<whatever.lua

Offline Jaki

« Reply #4 on: 17 / March / 2019, 18:01:41 »
"Unfortunately, the chdkptp GUI only takes one line at a time."

Hahaha.... Can`t believe it.
So much about my knowledge about scripting.
Ok... I`ll jump in to the could water.
Thank you again "reyalp" :)

Offline Jaki

« Reply #5 on: 21 / March / 2019, 11:02:09 »
I`m back... :P
Does anybody knows if the CHDK firmware, for example for IXUS 100, works on IXUS 100SI?
Do I have to be careful with those letters in general......for other types?
TNX

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 21 / March / 2019, 16:02:10 »
I`m back... :P
Does anybody knows if the CHDK firmware, for example for IXUS 100, works on IXUS 100SI?
Do I have to be careful with those letters in general......for other types?
Assuming you mean IS that's just part of the model name. There are not IS and non-IS variants of a given model. So all you need to know is if CHDK supports "IXUS 100" and the particular canon firmware version you have.

CHDK isn't particularly consistent about whether the "IS" is included in our name for the camera.

Offline Jaki

« Reply #7 on: 22 / March / 2019, 18:10:08 »
I made it. :lol
I`ve connected 3 different cameras and shot a picture via PTP.After that, I clicked on the Dowload button.....and it started to download.....and....it seams they were dowloaded......but.....I can`t finde them on my PC.
Where exactly can I see the path of the script......or....how can I determine it by myself?
What script should I look for?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 22 / March / 2019, 22:36:39 »
I made it. :lol
I`ve connected 3 different cameras and shot a picture via PTP.After that, I clicked on the Dowload button.....and it started to download.....and....it seams they were dowloaded......but.....I can`t finde them on my PC.
Where exactly can I see the path of the script......or....how can I determine it by myself?
What script should I look for?
It looks like you are using some third party modification. If you point us what specifically you are using or where you got it from, we might be able to help.

« Reply #9 on: 28 / March / 2019, 07:14:37 »
to find where the file is, surely you can just search your computer for one of the file names that's listed in the window, eg search for 776e3f.

(It could also be, that if you look in the folder where the chdkptp file is, there will be a folder called imgdump, and the photos will be in a subfolder under that.)