sx200is - cannot get PTP to work, camera is not seen as a device - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

sx200is - cannot get PTP to work, camera is not seen as a device

• 1 Replies
sx200is - cannot get PTP to work, camera is not seen as a device
« on: 23 / December / 2010, 13:16:01 »
Advertisements
So I've been working on trying to get my sx200is to work with PTP.  I enabled remote on the autobuild and my camera acted a bit funny.  I know this is not helpful but this is when i investigated the dev builds and making your own BOOTDISK.BIN.

So I first started with trying to build from the 1005 trunk from SVN.  enabled PTP in the buildoptions and set my camera in the makeoptions (which for whatever reason kept building the wrong camera so i had to define it on the the make line).  I would get an error after the first attempt to make fir, but if i did it again, it successfully made the firmware.  Loaded it on my camera, enabled the remote function(i was looking for a PTP function for a while, but i'm assuming it's actually the remote usb option) and turned my camera to video.  When I plug in my camera and do a 'lsusb' it is no longer seen as a device.

Reading more into this (the actual PTP topic, wiki and whatever else i could find), I noticed someone using the MSL build.  So I end up finding the chdkde and the msl branch.  the trunk of chdkde has the ptpcam with the --chdk option, took me a while to figure that out, so i build both.  Tried both firmware files too, MSL is the one that is currently on my camera since it removed all the usb remote sync stuff.  Anyways, now that i had ptpcam built too, i tried using that thinking that maybe there was some magic behind the scenes i didn't understand.  Running ptpcam --chdk does not see my device and i just get some error (i've gone beyond my scroll back but it was hex'ish like 0x254 or something).  This makes sense to me since the device isn't even seen as a usb device.  Mind you I am running lsusb as root, dmesg does not show the device being connected and shows it being disconnected at the point of when i switched to enabling remote usb.

A bit of info of what i am using:
Slackware13.1 64bit - Multilib
Slackware13.1 32bit
sx200is - 100c firmware
ARM-multilib environment on both machines to test build a firmware for my camera and to see if machine worked over the other but neither did.
My main hope: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.msg52886#msg52886
Oh, he hadn't made his sdcard bootable, where mine is so when i start my camera i get chdk running automatically.  I also boot it up, then move to movie mode and then plug in my usb cable.

Well I hope this is enough info to go off, please let me know if you need anything else.  It'd be such an awesome feature to have on this camera since it does take some high quality video and great pictures.  If i can get this to work, I'll be able to use it to do some attempts at astrophotography and possibly even webstreaming with the video.

Thanks guys.

Offline reyalp

Re: sx200is - cannot get PTP to work, camera is not seen as a device
« Reply #1 on: 23 / December / 2010, 16:12:05 »
So I first started with trying to build from the 1005 trunk from SVN.  enabled PTP in the buildoptions and set my camera in the makeoptions (which for whatever reason kept building the wrong camera so i had to define it on the the make line).  I would get an error after the first attempt to make fir, but if i did it again, it successfully made the firmware.
You should always make clean between building CHDK  for different targets. If the build doesn't fail, you will probably end up with a very broken binary.
Loaded it on my camera, enabled the remote function(i was looking for a PTP function for a while, but i'm assuming it's actually the remote usb option)
No, this is completely wrong, and likely the cause of your problem. USB remote is a remote using only USB voltage detection, without any USB protocol. See  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable . If you set this, the camera will not be able to establish a USB protocol connection, because CHDK hides the USB power signal from the stock firmware. You can plug and unplug the USB cable to take a picture though ;)
ARM-multilib environment on both machines to test build a firmware for my camera and to see if machine worked over the other but neither did.
It is very unlikely that some third party, pre-configured arm tool chain will generate valid CHDK builds. YMMV.
Don't forget what the H stands for.