wiki printing issue / book issue

• 2 Replies

Offline fx

wiki printing issue / book issue
« on: 14 / May / 2014, 04:49:07 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I am a newbie to CHDK.

1) I encounter the problem that the CHDK wiki pages do not print correctly: in the upper right corner, the wiki text does not appear upon printing (over a rectangular region).

Am I  alone with this problem ?

It would be nice to have a "print" button so that printing is WYSIG.

2) While encountering this printing problem, I discovered a "CHDK book" on Amazon, but refrained to buy it because the author of that book  apparently bluntly copied the CHDK wiki for his own profit (!!)
(I got this info from a "reader opinion" on the amazon book page).

Therefore the question:

It is somewhat of a pain to print wiki parts after wiki parts, to get the "full current documentation".

Would'nt it be nice to have the CHDK community write/assemble  a "True CHDK community book", that might for example be simply assembling a downloadable pdf, made from all the relevant/updated elements of the wiki (with a summary), possibly also incorporating some of the best elements "professional Photo advices" parts of the wiki ?

I would be ready to pay for version of that (reasonably priced) . That might fuel some dollars into the wiki maintnance. Another option being to make it free;

Also, such "community book" might help to quarantine the  "pirate CHDK book"

What is your feedback ?

Offline reyalp

Re: wiki printing issue / book issue
« Reply #1 on: 14 / May / 2014, 13:40:45 »
2) While encountering this printing problem, I discovered a "CHDK book" on Amazon, but refrained to buy it because the author of that book  apparently bluntly copied the CHDK wiki for his own profit (!!)
(I got this info from a "reader opinion" on the amazon book page).
I guess you are talking about http://www.amazon.com/The-Canon-Camera-Hackers-Manual-ebook/dp/B004J4VVNI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400087628&sr=8-2&keywords=chdk

This book isn't a copy of the wiki. It's a legitimate book with content and scripts developed by the author . However, CHDK has changed a lot since it was written, so it's probably not a great source of information at this point. I don't know who "Nature Guy" in the amazon review is...

Here's a thread from when the book came out http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5197.10

(I never did get around to doing a proper review of the book...  a bit late now ;( my impression quite mixed though, there were some significant errors)

Would'nt it be nice to have the CHDK community write/assemble  a "True CHDK community book", that might for example be simply assembling a downloadable pdf, made from all the relevant/updated elements of the wiki (with a summary), possibly also incorporating some of the best elements "professional Photo advices" parts of the wiki ?

I would be ready to pay for version of that (reasonably priced) . That might fuel some dollars into the wiki maintnance. Another option being to make it free;

Also, such "community book" might help to quarantine the  "pirate CHDK book"

What is your feedback ?
1) It's unwise to make judgements entirely based on one flamey anonymous amazon review.

2) CHDK is not an organization. When you say
Would'nt it be nice to have the CHDK community write/assemble  a "True CHDK community book"
Who exactly are you proposing would do this? Or you'd just like a book to appear?

3) The wiki content is CC BY-SA https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ by default, so one could make a book out of it if licensed under the same terms
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2014, 13:43:09 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

Re: wiki printing issue / book issue
« Reply #2 on: 14 / May / 2014, 14:12:54 »
1) I encounter the problem that the CHDK wiki pages do not print correctly: in the upper right corner, the wiki text does not appear upon printing (over a rectangular region).

Am I  alone with this problem ?
It's Firefox that seems to have the issue, looks good on an older Opera (12.x).
It would be nice to have a "print" button so that printing is WYSIG.
Not much we can do about that, wikia.com is not under our control.