Build 37 shuts down S3 on change to MF - page 2 - AllBest's Builds - CHDK Forum  

Build 37 shuts down S3 on change to MF

• 15 Replies
Re: Build 37 shuts down S3 on change to MF
« Reply #10 on: 15 / March / 2008, 16:16:58 »
Advertisements
But there is some trouble with focus lock :( My camera is hangs up too...
That would explain why it only happens sometimes for me.  Sometimes I use focus lock, sometimes I don't.

I need the focus bracketing because my subject (a bird) is moving and I don't have time to focus manually.  If it's going to hang every time I might have to experiment with my own scripts.  Hopefully they won't have the same issue.

Do you think you can fix this problem?  If not, perhaps we should add a warning about this in the Allbest build usage instructions.

« Reply #11 on: 16 / March / 2008, 04:18:17 »
For the present you can do one simple thing. You need release shutter button after focus lock. Next do your continuous shooting. Any case it will be more quickly, than script using. At least my a620 doesn't hang up if i observe above mentioned
sequence of operations.

PawelW

« Reply #12 on: 18 / March / 2008, 10:06:58 »
My S3 turns off often when I press "zoom out" in MF mode and sometimes in viewing mode when I zoom out photo.

« Reply #13 on: 19 / March / 2008, 01:53:34 »
For the present you can do one simple thing. You need release shutter button after focus lock. Next do your continuous shooting. Any case it will be more quickly, than script using. At least my a620 doesn't hang up if i observe above mentioned
sequence of operations.
Can you please unambiguously explain what you mean by focus lock?  Do you mean pressing the MF button, or do you mean half pressing the shutter button till the focus locks?

I tried the feature again last night.  If I tried to take a picture without enabling MF first, the camera shut down every time, otherwise it was fine, even if I pressed MF while half pressing the shutter.  However, my first posting indicates that at that time the camera was shutting down as soon as I pressed the MF button.

I'm thinking there are at least two bugs here:
- enabling MF when a subject distance override has been enabled will result in a shut down
- taking a photo without enabling MF first when subject distance bracketing has been enabled will result in a shutdown

Complicating things, I've discovered that the camera's native focus bracketing will override this build's subject distance bracketing, possibly hiding the bug.

I'm finding that testing this stuff in a systematic way is quite time consuming because of the large number of variables, and I'm not in a position to spend that much time so my testing has been haphazard.  Hopefully someone can do some systematic testing that will reveal the exact conditions required to cause a shutdown.

These features look like they would be extremely valuable to someone doing photography of still objects, but with wildlife I find the bugs to be too serious.  I have to be able to quickly choose between using autofocus or manual focus with this wonderful bracketing.  To have a shutdown if I press a wrong button will just cause me to lose shots, which is a pity because otherwise it's a brilliant concept.

« Reply #14 on: 19 / March / 2008, 06:36:20 »
For s3, focus lock, according to manual is to keep shutter half press and engage MF button.

« Reply #15 on: 21 / March / 2008, 10:50:49 »
Can you please unambiguously explain what you mean by focus lock?  Do you mean pressing the MF button, or do you mean half pressing the shutter button till the focus locks?
As said ripwink it is to keep shutter half press and engage MF button
I'm thinking there are at least two bugs here:
- enabling MF when a subject distance override has been enabled will result in a shut down
Not quite so. I think that camera hangs up when you do focus lock and after that do full press of shutter button without releasing it before
- taking a photo without enabling MF first when subject distance bracketing has been enabled will result in a shutdown
That is true. In current version of code it is impossible for s3