A1000IS porting... - page 3 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies
Re: A1000IS porting...
« Reply #20 on: 30 / November / 2008, 06:17:33 »
Advertisements
Anyone got a working link?

a link to what ? Canon only very rarely issues 'updates', and only they know if cams with
different firmwares are totally identical hardware-wise.

I was looking for a link to a firmware update, of course.

I am used to the EOS range. Canon has issued several updates for those.

I guess they have to pay more attention to "serious" photographers.
MK
Powershot A1000IS, EOS 400D
Canon A1 (x2) etc....

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #21 on: 30 / November / 2008, 07:24:34 »
I was looking for a link to a firmware update, of course

This wiki page has a link to Canon update site: FAQ - CHDK Wiki
As you will notice, the last official Canon update for P&S dates back to 2006 ...

What i was trying to say, i guess, is that (IMHO, of course) you're better off
concentrating on getting your firmware version ported; even if this is a lot
of work, it will still be a faster way to upgrade your cam than waiting for
Canon ...

Besides, it is unlikely (judging from ported cams) that that differences between
the (currently 2) reported A1000 firmwares actually qualify as 'upgrades',
more likely they are small differences to account for the use of different
sources of custom chips  in the cam (according to comments i read from
devs)

hth,

wim   

PS you prob already found your cam's wiki page, but if not A1000IS - CHDK Wiki
« Last Edit: 30 / November / 2008, 07:27:28 by whim »

« Reply #22 on: 01 / December / 2008, 20:50:45 »
Hey michaelkenward, sorry to hear about your different camera firmware. :(

I'm just posting back my results with the current build.

I got the battery meter, the optical temperature sensor, and the clock working on the camera's GUI, which are from CHDK. Everything else seems to be from the same as the default on the camera. I'm not sure I did anything wrong, or if its supposed to be that way - it's my first time using CHDK.

To load the firmware onto the camera, I followed the FAQ on how to format the SD card using CardTricks. Then I made the SD card bootable, and copied the most recent DISKBOOT.BIN that Diablo posted here. I locked the SD card, put it in the camera, and turned it on. CHDK seemed to be loading, and then the regular camera GUI appeared, with some extra info on the background (the temperature sensor, battery meter, clock time, and an orange horizontal bar on the bottom left corner that didn't seem to do anything).

When I put the card back in the computer, I noticed a folder called CHDK was created, with empty subdirectories. I went to the CHDK download page and downloaded the COMPLETE zip files (which include the CHDK folder) for a couple of different cameras (A1000.b wasn't listed). I compared the CHDK folders from the different downloads and they were the same, so I figured that the CHDK folder would be the same for every camera (correct me if I'm wrong) and copied that folder which I just downloaded to my SD card.

I put the card (with the complete CHDK folder now) back in the camera and turned it on. The GUI was still the same.

I understand that this camera port is still at a very early phase in development, but I just wanted to give a report of what I did, and what I got. If I'm going about it the wrong way, point me to some more links or downloads so that I can read up a bit more. :)

If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know... I'm gonna start working crazy hours up until christmas (10 to 17 hour days), but when I have some free time, I'll be glad to help. :)

Once again, thanks a lot for the time and effort to get this camera port to work. I really love this little camera, and CHDK would make it godly.
« Last Edit: 01 / December / 2008, 21:05:21 by tyrantt23 »

« Reply #23 on: 02 / December / 2008, 13:34:35 »
Hi,

Posting the latest status here. Also attaching latest binary.
* Get the cam started.
          o start cam under chdk-control without any extensions
          o create led-blinker-test-task
      Progress: done
    * GUI output.
          o General output
          o Histogramm
          o Zebra mode
    * hijack Keyboard handler (this includes USB-support)
      Progress: not done
    * hijack shoot-task.
          o control darkframe subtraction.
          o implement raw-save: Raw files seem to open with picassa.
      Progress: Partially done
    * hijack movie-task.
      Progress: testing
    * Include multipartition/boot from SDHC support.
      Progress: not done.
    * BASIC scripting.
    * Lua scripting.
      Progress: not done
    * Overrides.
          o AV
          o TV
          o ISO
          o Subject Distance
          o Bracketing in cont' mode
    * Image enhancement.
          o Bad Pixel removal
          o custom curves
      Progress: testing

Apart from above update, since I am a newbie to use CHDK, I have some basic questions. Senior folks, please help out.
1. RAW support:
         I found that there is some differnce between number of bits per pixel to be stored for RAW file. I faced exact situation posted in ixus90/sd790 IS porting. So I decided to reduce the Rawbuf size to be copied. I calculated manually the size and used it in hook_raw_size.
         Now the RAW files are smaller(~12M) size. The dng4ps2 recognizes the files(earlier it wasn't recognizing). I converted them to get RAW with exif data on it. Finally I tried to open them in almost all RAW processing s/w listed in CHDK FAQ page. But all of them showed a color jig-jag image. Picassa was able to display the image for 1 sec and turns to color jig-jag after one sec.
         Then I tried to calculated color matrix by taking snap of color pallete found in a different thread. Still no success. Any help in this regard is appreaciated.
2. Hijack keyboard:
          I have no idea what is to be done here. What is expected in this item. Does people use USB attached switch for taking snapshots? I hope I cannot get one of these at my place, unless I make it my self.
3. custom curves:
           What are they? Any help or pointer to this is appreaciated.

michaelkenward,
            Sorry to hear that you have 1.00a version. Since I have ported 1.00b, I can start porting 1.00a as well. I will let you know once I start it. As I don't have 1.00a camera, I will be working blind and you have to test and give feedback on the changes.

tyrantt23,
            As you can see the status above, lot of things are working now. You need to press ALT key(print key) then DISP to get CHDK menu. Read more in CHDK usage page on basic keys and shortcuts for using CHDK.

-Diablo

« Reply #24 on: 02 / December / 2008, 13:59:46 »
Just wanna give another short "bug"-report: I'm also new to CHDK but tried to get some scripts working, one was a intervall-script which worked fine. I've copied the A720 CHDK directory onto my SD card. Is there any difference between the CHDK directories or are they all the same?
The RAW files couldn't be recognized with ufraw (I'm using linux) but the A1000 showed them correctly. Maybe the new version Diablo posted works better.
The only things that bugs me is that parts of the OSD are remaining on the screen. Btw, I'm using a PAL A1000IS with german OSD, maybe the translation bugs the OSD. And when I press the PLAY button and the shutter is closed it seems the A1000 is shutting down, maybe that's not a bug but a feature of CHDK... ;)
But overall I'm really glad that CHDK is ported to such a nice camera! Keep up the great work, Diablo!!

« Reply #25 on: 02 / December / 2008, 14:13:51 »
Checked the new version and the new (and smaller) CRW files couldn't be read by either Picasa 3.0 (under Debian) nor ufraw.

« Reply #26 on: 02 / December / 2008, 14:24:31 »
Did you converted the files using dng4ps2? I was able to open then in picasa 3.

« Reply #27 on: 02 / December / 2008, 18:01:20 »
Diablo, thank you for the tip. I will read up a bit more on the usage of CHDK, I didn't know I had to push buttons to get the CHDK menus. I'll try out the new update and post back with the results. I'm excited to see that the development is going forward real quickly. :)

And when I press the PLAY button and the shutter is closed it seems the A1000 is shutting down, maybe that's not a bug but a feature of CHDK... ;)
Probably a feature. I had my camera set to work like that on the original Canon firmware by changing a setting in the options with the name "Lens Retract" to 0 seconds I believe. That tells the camera to wait X seconds before retracting the lenses after you push play to look at the pictures. You might be able to find a similar option on CHDK.

I've copied the A720 CHDK directory onto my SD card. Is there any difference between the CHDK directories or are they all the same?
I did the same thing. I checked the size of the directories for different cameras and they were the same, but I'm not sure that the content is exactly the same. My guess is that yes, CHDK and its directories are the same for every camera, only DISKBOOT.BIN (the actual porting of the camera) is different. But... I may be wrong, like I said before, I'm a complete newbie. :)

Keep up the great work, Diablo!!
Quote for truth. Keep it up Diablo.  :D

« Reply #28 on: 03 / December / 2008, 11:43:18 »
Checked the new version and the new (and smaller) CRW files couldn't be read by either Picasa 3.0 (under Debian) nor ufraw.
Like Diablo said, you need to download DNG4PowerShot2. Here is the link to the CHDK FAQ - I've Shot Some RAW Pictures. How Do I Process Them?

From what I've read, the CRW raw files produced by the PowerShot cameras, are different than the other camera formats. They also don't produce any EXIF information. So, The DNG4PowerShot solves those two problems - it converts the CRW files to Adobe's DNG, and it copies the EXIF information from the corresponding JPEG picture to the new DNG file.

UPDATE: I've just downloaded dng4ps2, and when I select the path to the Raw files, it doesn't list anything on my SD card. I then went to their website to read up a bit about it, and noticed that the A1000 is not listed as one of their supported cameras. How were you able to convert the pictures Diablo? Any pointers or links would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll read up a bit more and post back here with results.
« Last Edit: 03 / December / 2008, 11:53:58 by tyrantt23 »

« Reply #29 on: 03 / December / 2008, 22:18:38 »
I edited A720 camera profile and used it for A1000IS. You just need to rename the camera(setting->camera options->cameraname, shortname) and change resolution(to 3648x2736 in both sensor size and jpeg size). With this I could get them displayed in dng4ps2 but after covert the images displayed were incorrect.

The images opened properly in picassa3 properly and in 1-2 sec the display changes to jig-jag color.

I am right now in the process of doing color profile calculation. I will let you know once I get good results. It is good if you also can do this simultaneously so that we can get a good color profile. You can read the following thread on how to do it. New project: camera color profile calculation