CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie! - page 6 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!

• 83 Replies
Re: CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!
« Reply #50 on: 06 / April / 2011, 03:40:59 »
Advertisements
I am trying to download CHDK, however the links to the server http://mighty-hoernsche.de/ appear to be broken.

Is this server down? No longer active?

Is there an alternative mirror server where the CHDK software can be downloaded from?

Thanks

jlouis

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #51 on: 06 / April / 2011, 06:57:26 »
The server seems to be down at the moment.

Alternatively, you can test CHDK-DE or SDM. CHDK-DE is quite identical with CHDK. SDM has the basic features of CHDK with some extensions for stereo imaging.

Autobuild CHDK-DE

Download SDM

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #52 on: 06 / April / 2011, 17:25:34 »

« Reply #53 on: 07 / April / 2011, 04:17:53 »
Thanks fugey & msi

Added Mighty-Hoernsche.de to the hosts file - all good now  :)

Cheers

John

« Reply #54 on: 19 / May / 2011, 16:35:50 »
Hello!

I have found CHDK so usefull and my creativity is now so less restricted on my G12 from "factory settings" camera mode  :D
Thanks a lot!

Now a bunch of (maybe) silly questions:

My 32GB card is now formatted into 2 partitions (according to some info I found to auto-load CHDK). In some situations (e.g. turning on the camera with display closed) camera only recognize (and enables saving) the tiny little partition and runs out of space in no more than 2 or 3 shots. Questions as follows: Is it common to have CHDK disabled whenever camera is turned on with LCD closed or memory card unlocked? When CHDK is disabled, I will never be able to read&write to second (large) card partition? Do I have to always open LCD to turn on the camera using this partitioned memory card?

When choosing a filetype either in camera and CHDK settings, I found out that CHDK RAW format for G12 is unknown to Bibble 5 software, and I am at the moment using Canon internal RAW (CR2 file extension) nocely with this tool. What I am in doubt is that this may not probably be the fastest option as internal Canon JPG (appearently shoots at higher FPS), and maybe CHDK RAW format may be even faster. Any hints on this subject, what is fastest, how to set it (either in Canon and CHDK settings menu) and how to operate/convert this G12 CHDK RAW filetype under linux will be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!
marcelo

Offline reyalp

« Reply #55 on: 19 / May / 2011, 16:59:33 »
Questions as follows: Is it common to have CHDK disabled whenever camera is turned on with LCD closed or memory card unlocked? When CHDK is disabled, I will never be able to read&write to second (large) card partition? Do I have to always open LCD to turn on the camera using this partitioned memory card?
LCD shouldn't matter.

Which one the camera sees without CHDK depends on which on is "active" (technically which one is listed first in the partition table) You can use the "swap partitions" function in CHDK to change this, but if you make the large partition active, CHDK will not autoboot. To get back, you'll need to load CHDK manually and use swap partitions again.

When choosing a filetype either in camera and CHDK settings, I found out that CHDK RAW format for G12 is unknown to Bibble 5 software, and I am at the moment using Canon internal RAW (CR2 file extension) nocely with this tool.
I would be surprised if Canon raw was slower than CHDK raw. You can find information about CHDK Raw format here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #56 on: 25 / May / 2011, 21:22:09 »
Hello newcomer!

CHDK is a sort of complicated business, but some valuable members have made the trouble of making things simple for you...

See these threads for guidance:

Thread: Newbie issues, still - [CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps]
Thread (WIP): CHDK End-User's Guide 03  - 16-MAY-08
Wikia (WIP): User:Intrnst - CHDK Wiki

Also, and very important:
http://chdk.wikia.com
Sections: FAQ and Firmware usage.

Finally, please ask your newbie questions at the board below, and here only!!The "Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes)" BOARD

Have fun!

« Reply #57 on: 25 / May / 2011, 21:28:38 »
Newbie found it hard to post. I have a Canon A550, got the version and downloads but I don't have a "firmware update" in my camera, confirmed by Canon. Am I still able to install CHDK? :(

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #58 on: 26 / May / 2011, 00:38:32 »
Newbie found it hard to post. I have a Canon A550, got the version and downloads but I don't have a "firmware update" in my camera, confirmed by Canon. Am I still able to install CHDK? :(
Unzip the full CHDK package to the root of your SD card, start the camera in playback mode (!) & the "Firmware Update" menu item should be visible from the Canon menu...

On a Mac read http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac and especially http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac#Still_Having_Trouble.3F

See also http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

« Reply #59 on: 07 / August / 2013, 10:48:07 »
Hi folks,

yes I'm a newbe with a question!
It's all about the Canon G15 which I maybe like to buy.
Will CHDK make it possible to manual set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, an the focus in the videographymode?
This is the only reason why i don't like the G15. You can set nearly everything manually except in the Moviemode...
I didn't found the answer in the Wiki.

Thank you!

Felix