How to swap partitions back (SDM) - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

How to swap partitions back (SDM)

• 14 Replies
Re: How to swap partitions back (SDM)
« Reply #10 on: 30 / October / 2011, 13:15:10 »
Advertisements
For SDM you will simply need diskboot.bin on both partitions (and both must be bootable).
This has the obvious limitation that each partition must therefore be 4G or less in size, for a maximum usable size of 8G regardless of how big the actual SD card is.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #11 on: 30 / October / 2011, 13:26:42 »
Who ever thought that this simple question will bring so many replies...

In topic:
You can have SDM boot file (DISKBOOT.BIN?) on the smaller partition, whole SDM files structure on the bigger one and additionally CHDK PS.FI2 on the bigger one. This way when your partitions are swapped you could run CHDK and use it to swap them back.

It would be cool to provide very limited, very small CHDK-like PS.FI2 program that can be used only for swapping partitions, that could be added to SDM. Very handy in my opinion.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #12 on: 30 / October / 2011, 14:09:08 »
This has the obvious limitation that each partition must therefore be 4G or less in size, for a maximum usable size of 8G regardless of how big the actual SD card is.

This is absolutely true.  Limited, of course, by fat16 partition size.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #13 on: 31 / October / 2011, 05:26:51 »
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated, I'm still not completely sorted though-
I've tried to put diskboot on both partitions but it's still not allowing me into SDM in the camera- I'm guessing that the new diskboot is not bootable so how do I make it bootable, which program do I use?

cheers

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #14 on: 31 / October / 2011, 07:26:12 »
...I've tried to put diskboot on both partitions but it's still not allowing me into SDM in the camera- I'm guessing that the new diskboot is not bootable so how do I make it bootable, which program do I use?
Make sure that both partitions are formated with FAT16 and made CHDK-bootable; then copy the bootdisk.bin (SDM or CHDK) to both partitions, lock your SD card...
SDM/CHDK now should start from the active partition, you can swap the partitions from within the SDM/CHDK menu to switch over (after a power on/off cycle) to the other partition...

Since you're already using SDM, you can handle all this with the SDM-Installer (sdminste.exe) included in the "common_files.zip" package from http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/download.htm ...