Quick question on SX50 CHDK 1.4.1 release and how to navigate the menu? - page 2 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Quick question on SX50 CHDK 1.4.1 release and how to navigate the menu?

• 21 Replies

Offline Hmm

Re: Quick question on SX50 CHDK 1.4.1 release and how to navigate the menu?
« Reply #10 on: 25 / April / 2019, 00:11:35 »
Advertisements
I just noticed...after all these years, there's a "firmware" update feature on the SX50. However, I searched endlessly for the firmware version it wants: 1.1.0.0.0.  Does anyone have this file handy so I can load it onto the SD card to update?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 25 / April / 2019, 02:02:32 »
I just noticed...after all these years, there's a "firmware" update feature on the SX50. However, I searched endlessly for the firmware version it wants: 1.1.0.0.0.  Does anyone have this file handy so I can load it onto the SD card to update?
I'm not clear what you mean.

You can only update if Canon issued an official firmware update. AFAIK, they have not for SX50.

You can use the "firmware update" menu to run CHDK as an alternative to autoboot (see https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/%22firmware_update_method%22), but that does not actually update your firmware, and the numbers shown are irrelevant.

Edit:
The above means that you will see the "firm update" menu option if you have CHDK installed, which might be the source of the confusion. This does not mean a Canon update is available.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Hmm

« Reply #12 on: 25 / April / 2019, 20:54:58 »
I'm not clear what you mean.

You can only update if Canon issued an official firmware update. AFAIK, they have not for SX50.

You can use the "firmware update" menu to run CHDK as an alternative to autoboot (see https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/%22firmware_update_method%22), but that does not actually update your firmware, and the numbers shown are irrelevant.

Edit:
The above means that you will see the "firm update" menu option if you have CHDK installed, which might be the source of the confusion. This does not mean a Canon update is available.

I think you're spot-on. I never seen the update notification before I installed CHDK. I wasn't able to find any reference to an official Canon SX50 HS firmware update either. Once again, thanks for your info!!  :)

Offline Hmm

The SD card I've been using has been corrupted. I have found some old files on my PC but it's been 4 years now.

Would anyone be able to recall which files I install onto a bootable SD card using the methods in this site?  Or must go the long way and find the appropriate firmware image file?

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
The SD card I've been using has been corrupted. I have found some old files on my PC but it's been 4 years now.

Would anyone be able to recall which files I install onto a bootable SD card using the methods in this site?  Or must go the long way and find the appropriate firmware image file?
If you want to manually copy the necessary files to the SD card, you must first determine which firmware version your camera has.
Another possibility is to use one of the applications offered on this page that can do it for you.
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

Offline Hmm

If you want to manually copy the necessary files to the SD card, you must first determine which firmware version your camera has.
Another possibility is to use one of the applications offered on this page that can do it for you.
https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

I'm guessing I had already saved the files somewhere (I just need to search for it) which was a mirror image of my SD card. I don't know what files to look for though.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
I'm guessing I had already saved the files somewhere (I just need to search for it) which was a mirror image of my SD card. I don't know what files to look for though.
Even if you find the saved files, autoboot won't work if you just copy them to a new SD card.
You can download all necessary files for your camera here: https://mighty-hoernsche.de/
Use the distribution marked as full.zip (837KB) , but it is still necessary to know the exact firmware version your camera has.
I still recommend you to use one of the mentioned applications for installation.

Offline Hmm

Ok thanks. Is the process the same or streamlined from 2019 which was the last time I did this? I thought I had challenges back then. Unfortunately, my mental capacity has deteriorated considerably in 4 years. I know I customized many chkd settings which took a lot of time and effort.

Offline Hmm

On another unrelated matter. Are the batteries for this camera still "fresh" and produced? I still have my oem but it's not lasting long. It's going to fail soon. I know many online sellers carry knock-offs and very old leftover batteries.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
Ok thanks. Is the process the same or streamlined from 2019 which was the last time I did this? I thought I had challenges back then. Unfortunately, my mental capacity has deteriorated considerably in 4 years. I know I customized many chkd settings which took a lot of time and effort.
The procedure is the same as in 2019.
If you find the old saved files you wrote about, you can copy the .cfg files to an sd card with chdk installed.
The old .cfg files should be copied to the CHDK folder on your sd card and then you will have the same settings related to chdk as you used before.
On another unrelated matter. Are the batteries for this camera still "fresh" and produced? I still have my oem but it's not lasting long. It's going to fail soon. I know many online sellers carry knock-offs and very old leftover batteries.
I'm not sure if new NB-10L batteries are still being produced or old stock is being sold, but regardless, an unused battery will probably have a higher capacity than a battery that has been used for ten years or more.

If you have problems determining the firmware version, you can upload one image taken with your camera to google drive or somewhere else and send me the download link, I will look in the EXIF data for the firmware version.
It is only important that the image has not been edited and that it contains the original EXIF data.